• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple's G5 vs the BBB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dell is an all-around solid company. Several ananysts have said that Dell was the stock of the 90's. That's pretty impressive considering Dell is basically offering the same products as several teir one PC companies. How many similar alternatives were there to microsoft products in the mid to late 90's? Not many, certanly fewer than what Dell had to deal with.

If you still need evidence that Dell is a good company, look at their server department. It's growing like a weed in the middle of fierce competition between compaq ibm and sun.

That said, would I buy a Dell for myself? NO! Would I recommend one to an average computer user? Depends.

Now about Apple. Ever since I've searched the web for the "fastest computer",* I was bombarded with claims that Apple was the fastest computer. Since they've never had solid proof of backing up thier claim, it's really annoyed me. Personally I'm glad the govt is coming down on them. If this was any other industry, litigation would have ripped Apple a new one a long, long time ago.

*It goes on to this day: Google -> "world's fastest pc"

Edit:
Funny how a company with an almost non-existent sliver of the computer industry can draw 8 out of the first 10 hits on google! :mad:

Last edited:
tom10167 said:
The only place Dell REALLY rips you off is with memory. $70 for 128megs of SDRAM is ridiculously beyond crazy. Seriously. Build me a computer, with operating system, monitor, keyboard, and mouse, for $500. Any parts, brand new, do it.

Now through in (horrible, but existent) tech support.

Dell +1
Custom 0

Dells have their place.

NO you wanna heaqr RIP OFF!!

hold your self down!

$579

Now, for what you asl

a PIII 1gh SLOT 1 CPU!!!!!

YES for ONE SINGLE ONE!!! - i thought our company was getting 2!!! but nope 1 , uno, single, one!!!!!!

that is a f**king scam!!!!!!

i bow never to buy upgrades from dell for our server or 3 other work computers from them again!

- i went and searched and located the same stepping CPU for $140!!

ChillPhatCat said:
I was trying to say that Dell offers inappropriate solutions at high cost... Look at most of their computers, a 2.4/2.66 GHz P4 is standard for the "P4 system"... they cut corners by using old A and B cores and then they give the consumer 128 Mb of RAM (PC133 mind you!) expandable for ungodly amounts of money...

The average user would have been fine with a 1 GHz Celeron!
128 Mb of really slow RAM? Give me a break!

When was the last time you saw them with pc133 systems? been a while.....

they also tell you on their site if it is an A, b or C core - i think you may want to go visit dells site - seems like it has been a while....

Also, most people when they buy a "new" computer they want the best they can get and for that price - they get the newest celerons / p4.

dell makes enough sales they dont need to sell 2 year old hardware.

And as Top Hat Theater - you are forgetting about "operation" cost and over head and other items that it takes to run the company / people / machines.

all that cost goes into the product cost - this applies anywhere you go - newegg, any other store / site you go to - operations cost are put into the product.

Why do you think it cost you $3 for a beer @ a bar when you can buy a 6 pack for $10.......

Superiority complex? Please. Give me a break, Guv.

Top Hat Theater's avatar - Hey! What do you say we ditch all these computer dorks and go grab a six pack for $10?

I love her.

http://www.barefeats.com/p4game.html

They can have their extra second in Photoshop for all I care. Try having a conversation with a mac guy without him/her bringing up their Photoshop feats - it's impossible and tiring.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Apple's G5 vs the BBB

Mr.Guvernment said:

Australia's Government forced apple to remove that claim from the Aussie Apple web site some time ago - they complied - funny how the US offices did not agree

Superiority complex?

Not just Australia but Britain made them stop a tv ad that was saying the same .

^^^ so i would think then if 2 other nations could stop why did the rest not stop?

North American and any other country - i guess the laws are as defined and Corprate "American" can get away with murder these days.

And yeah - grab that 6 pack! on my way over :D

They are just hoping that other places wouldn't take the trouble of calling their bluff . While the ad runs or sticks in peoples' heads Apple is getting sales and good impressions ( with the uneducated of course ) . So that is why they will unlikely stop the ads anywhere willingly .

it is False Advertisment and many companies have been sued over it by consumers - problem is corpate American or anywhere usually has eneough money to draw it out and the person gives up.

Precisely , time and $$ deter regular ppl like us unless we have really been burned . But that is why Gov't agencies like those in Britain and Australia need to step in , no long talk as we say in Barbados , just a simple "stop it !" . Many gov't agencies across the world can put a stop to that crap with a letter or phone call , no need to worry about court cases . But sadly they rarely act in such situations , especially not against big corporations .

I was curious, so I priced dell's $599 pc, the 2400, and it cost $410.49 to make from newegg. Now add the discounts and parts dell gets, and WOW, they make a lot of money on those pc's. Im with apple on this one, even though I personaly dont like apples.

Re: Re: Apple's G5 vs the BBB

sauria said:

Ever used one? -- it sure runs UNIX well and it would smoke your Athlon Mobile!

No I haven't . Sadly overall , Apple processors and systems get creamed by Intel or AMD computers , in fact PCs have now invaded and are often as fast or faster than macs in their former strongholds . And for the majority of computer users, the things that a Mac does better than a PC just aren't relevant and especially not at that price .

but they do the fps better and that is for gaming. so for a gaming pc i should buy a apple.

ChillPhatCat said:
I was trying to say that Dell offers inappropriate solutions at high cost... Look at most of their computers, a 2.4/2.66 GHz P4 is standard for the "P4 system"... they cut corners by using old A and B cores and then they give the consumer 128 Mb of RAM (PC133 mind you!) expandable for ungodly amounts of money...

The average user would have been fine with a 1 GHz Celeron!
128 Mb of really slow RAM? Give me a break!

Their low end systems all have onboard video and sound which is fine for the average computer user but they charge as much money as you'd expect for separate video or sound. You know as well as I that you can get a Mobo like that for about $50... then look at their hard drives... 20/40 Gb standard! and they're not high speed drives... just run of the mill 7200 RPM ATA's.... there is included software... of which only windows is useful... the rest is all crap that you could get for pennies... or perhaps you were a computer user before and you already have it...

The low end systems could easily be built for $300 yet they all cost $500-$600. Dell makes an obscene amount on each computer.

WELCOME TO THE BUSINESS INDUSTERY....they are the business people of course they would charge a bit more to make profit....lets say things about thermalright...of course it only costs them rouble about 10-20 dollars to build a heatsink but they sell it for more than 40 bucks...example...thermalright makes it for $13...they sell it wholesellers and retailers for $30....and wholesellers and retailers sell it to us for $40+...but as new products come out prices go down...

Mr.Guvernment said:

Why do you think it cost you $3 for a beer @ a bar when you can buy a 6 pack for $10.......

damn...where in hell is this bar....all the bars around here charge like 4-5 bucks for a bottle of a beer....

Back