• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are gaming mice and keyboards worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimreaper1014

Hi guys,

I just built a new gaming rig. I have never used a gaming mouse or keyboard before in my life. I have been seeing them around for quite some time. I have always just used a cheap Logitech optical mouse for everything along with a cheapo keyboard. I do play a lot of FPS and strategy games like the Age of Empires series, Starcraft 1/2, and things like that. As far as shooters I play Americas Army and I plan to pick up some games like Battlefield 3, COD Black Ops 2, etc. Do gaming mice and keyboards really make a difference in these types of games? I mean I can see having a gaming keyboard or a mouse with a lot of buttons for some of these MMO's or whatever they are called where you are like casting spells and what not and need to assign them to buttons. Will having a high DPI mouse, or a mouse that has 1000Mhz polling going to make a difference in the games I play? Is it more of a gimmick like gold plated Monster HDMI cables? I would like to find out as I need to get another mouse and keyboard. However, I don't want to spend a ton. I don't think a gaming keyboard will make much of a difference in the games I play but could be wrong. If gaming mice and keyboards are worth it could you guys recommend some inexpensive ones for me? Also, is there a certain point where gaming mice become overkill? For example like how they have some that are like 2000 DPI and some that are 5700 DPI?

Thanks,
Rocky

In my experience, they definitely help. It's less of a performance aspect and more of a comfort one though. It just feels better being able to adjust the mouse, or have a nice keyboard. I use a Logitech g500 mouse, and I bought a g110 keyboard on eBay for around $35. The keyboard is backlit and is very nice for what I do, and the mouse has always performed flawlessly.

Cool thanks for your help. I see they got these Call of Duty Edition Gx9's I believe they are for like $43 bucks on Amazon. Anyone know if this would be a good deal? I am going to look into that keyboard you mentioned ChanceCoats123. I like the act that it is backlit.

I used everyting from a cheapo to a high dollar mouse. Really it comes down to comfort in the end.

My two favorite mice I've ever owned for gaming. MX518 logitech which i believe now is a D400 or something. Not much of a looker but excellent mouse all around.

As far as cheapos go I had a Orge Soul Aula from china lol was $15 free shipping and its a chinese gaming mouse and was actually pretty good.

I have a razer death adder 3.5 now and it's a great mouse also only thing I hate is the two side buttons the highest one is a bit hard to reach when I'm gaming for some reason (I have big hands). Just the way it fits to my hand I guess.

If this one ever dies I think i'll just go pick up another D400 or whatever it is now from logitech since it's the same exact mouse my mx518 was. Greatest mouse I ever owned as far as comfort goes with a decent amount of buttons.

Keyboard wise I've had everything from a $100 board to a $2.50 one i got from resale dell keyboard. They all seem to be the same to me minus some features layouts etc nothing worth spending a fortune on.

Only reason I have my roccat is i wanted a slim small keyboard that was decent and had decent sized buttons.

Thanks for the tips I appreciate it. You guys hit the nail on the head. I was wondering if it was about comfort, quality, and looks, or if all those crazy number like DPI and polling rate really made a difference.

In my experience, they definitely help. It's less of a performance aspect and more of a comfort one though. It just feels better being able to adjust the mouse, or have a nice keyboard. I use a Logitech g500 mouse, and I bought a g110 keyboard on eBay for around $35. The keyboard is backlit and is very nice for what I do, and the mouse has always performed flawlessly.
I have that exact setup and love it.
Thanks for the tips I appreciate it. You guys hit the nail on the head. I was wondering if it was about comfort, quality, and looks, or if all those crazy number like DPI and polling rate really made a difference.

I don't mess with my DPI, I haven't ever found a situation where I am like dang... need to adjust my DPI to pwn this nOOb. I am sure there is certain situations where it will be helpful, but I just haven't found it yet at least in RTS and RPG. Maybe that is because I came from console and for my FPS I still use the xbox controller, that is maybe where it would make a difference.

I have that exact setup and love it.

I don't mess with my DPI, I haven't ever found a situation where I am like dang... need to adjust my DPI to pwn this nOOb. I am sure there is certain situations where it will be helpful, but I just haven't found it yet at least in RTS and RPG. Maybe that is because I came from console and for my FPS I still use the xbox controller, that is maybe where it would make a difference.

Not just you I've been hardcore pc gaming since mid to late 90's and never needed any of that junk of hit a button and boost my DPI instantly stuff.

I mean some cheapo mice will suck tracking wise so I tend to stick to at least name brands.

I just never see a reason to buy say one of them $80 or $100+ dollar crazy razers or anything. I could be wrong maybe they do give some crazy advantage but I always top the scoreboards a lot with just a decent medicore mouse. Hell I used my gigabyte 7 dollar mouse for a good year or so (I only do any upgrading during return season lol) always topped the score boards just the same with that as I do with my razer etc.

its the quality of the buttons, the left click button should be easier to click and they last up to 20 million clicks vs the cheapo ones, logitech makes the best, they might last forever, the G600 has a 8200 dots per inch (dpi), crazy.

its the quality of the buttons, the left click button should be easier to click and they last up to 20 million clicks vs the cheapo ones, logitech makes the best, they might last forever, the G600 has a 8200 dots per inch (dpi), crazy.

Yeah that's one thing I know about logitech's every single one I've had has lived forever. All but one is still alive.

They usually get so abused and gross looking that i give them away and toss them after years lol.

My mx510 is still alive gf's bro uses it on my old 754 socket rig that he plays CS source on (to cheap to actually buy a friggin computer lol).

My mx518 is still going mother used it for a bit when her cheapo died it's really bad looking had the feet replaced twice on it and its due for antoher set. She just keeps it as a spare.

Only reason I did not go with logitech this time is I wanted to give razer and try. Decent mouse still like the feel of the logitechs better but they are not as "pretty" as the razer I have.

that rubber feel on the razers will start to flake off and the buttons will get stuck. you wont like it in a year, but they look cool

Mad Catz make good quality to

I would say they're worth it for the possible increase in durability. You can throw around macro keys, DPI numbers and key types all you want...but it may not may you a better player. I use to play on a $10 Microsoft mouse and similar keyboard and only bought "gaming" equipment because they would break in the middle of a gaming session and these obviously match the rest of my computer. ;)

My MX518s, which I have at home and work have lasted 4 years now. I also have Saitek Eclipse keyboards that just rub out, but still work fine. Both are at the bottom tier in terms of cost. You'll never see me spending $100+ on a mouse, keyboard or a headset. All of which are made with the same Chinese plastic.

I would say they're worth it for the possible increase in durability. You can throw around macro keys, DPI numbers and key types all you want...but it may not may you a better player. I use to play on a $10 Microsoft mouse and similar keyboard and only bought "gaming" equipment because they would break in the middle of a gaming session and these obviously match the rest of my computer. ;)

My MX518s, which I have at home and work have lasted 4 years now. I also have Saitek Eclipse keyboards that just rub out, but still work fine. Both are at the bottom tier in terms of cost. You'll never see me spending $100+ on a mouse, keyboard or a headset. All of which are made with the same Chinese plastic.

I agree on the mouse and keyboard.

BUT HEADSETS!?

lol Now that is one thing I'm willing to blow a fortune on. A lot of times my headsets have been worth half or more of what my pc is lol.

Because I love getting stuff that has such good sound I can pin point exactly where you are by your foot steps etc.

Higher you go better sound quality you tend to get.

I agree on the mouse and keyboard.

BUT HEADSETS!?

lol Now that is one thing I'm willing to blow a fortune on. A lot of times my headsets have been worth half or more of what my pc is lol.

Because I love getting stuff that has such good sound I can pin point exactly where you are by your foot steps etc.

Higher you go better sound quality you tend to get.

I think they're raping gamers to be honest. $100-$175 for a headset is ridiculous. But they gamers will pay it. Tell me specifically what is in it that makes it worth that much over a $20-$40. I am willing to bet you couldn't arrange the cheapest to most expensive in a blind test. :)

I'll consider it if there is a brand that lets you RMA their headset rather easily if it goes bad.

I think they're raping gamers to be honest. $100-$175 for a headset is ridiculous. But they gamers will pay it. Tell me specifically what is in it that makes it worth that much over a $20-$40. I am willing to bet you couldn't arrange the cheapest to most expensive in a blind test. :)

I'll consider it if there is a brand that lets you RMA their headset rather easily if it goes bad.

It is all about finding them on sale. I got the Corsair wireless headset for $69.99+taxes and shipping. Not a bad deal at that price IMO.

Gaming headsets usually are a huge scam.
They've got the sound quality of a $50 pair of cans when they cost $150-200.

Headphones are a big difference though, You get what you pay for when it comes to sound quality.

I use a simple Microsoft natural keyboard. Been using them for years. The mouse is something I'm very particular of. I'm currently using the Logitech MX518. For me it's the only mouse form that I like. I've been using it since they came out with the MX700, which I still have. Extra bells and whistles don't impress me.

I do chuckle a bit when 'gaming headset' and 'great sound' are in the same sentence.

Yea some high priced headsets suck. But some are amazing as far as sound direction distance goes.

I've got Logitech $40 set, plantronics gamecon's $50, cheapo ms ones, ice mats from few years ago, had medusa's amazing headset way back.

I also have a set of corsair dominator a pretty decent.

I like Astros but they are very Op bud has turtle beach wireless 7.1 there not bad but at the price better things.

I've used tons of headsets they can make a huge difference just gotta shop right or u can get royally screwed

Back