• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are grpahis Cards easy to kill?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Large_Duggan

Registered
Are graphics Cards easy to kill?

I was wondering if a Graphics card was as sensitive to static as a Motherboard? I just sent my Motherboard back to Newegg.....it could have been DOa or I could have zapped it ...who knows.

Edit: too many typos....I think ill stop drinking now..

Last edited:
I've never been able to kill a video card. Even after 3 years of being dropped, getting wet, getting AS3 on memory pins, all of that, my trusty old Voodoo3 3000 still works perfectly, as do every other card I've bought.

But I've never shocked one, either. Being static-safe is second nature to me now, I may drop it but I will never touch it by a conductive part ;)

I would assume that vid cards are less-prone to static death than a mobo, just because vid cards are intended to be swapped out more often.

:beer:

Thx Monster :) that took a few pounds of stress off my shoulders..... but is there a way to check the card without a motherboard?

yah or take it to a computer store and ask them to test it. If they are not busy they probably will do it for you.

Do you think you shocked the vid card? Depending on where you shocked it , it may be OK.

See what happend was......I ordered my mother board graphics card and Case all at once. So i was excited and put the motherboard into the case. Then I places the graphics card in and let them sit there for like a week (with the case open) until I ordered the rest of my parts. ( Note that I did all this on Carpet} :( :( :( So when i get the rest of my Parts I take everything into the kitchen, plug everything up, and take the case back to my room. Press power and nothing :( so I go back in the case and check everything again, but still no go. So I unplugged all of my devices except the Fans, graphics card, Ram and the Cpu. At first i thought the power supply was dead. But I hot wired it and it came on. So it had to be my motherboard.

Back