• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are the clips on the GlobalWin WBK38 hard to deal with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mav

Registered
Are the clips on that HSF hard to deal with?

If so, is there a guide describing how one might mount this thing?

Edit: oops...according to Joe, this thing is a "finger buster"...and he used needle nosed pliars to install it :( neway...anybody have a guide kind of thing describing how this is done? (or is it straightforward enuf?)

Yes! I had a fop 38, (same clip), on my "now dead" duron 700 at a gig! the damn thing snaped off during a lan party after 3 hours of use and after 8 sec of cs, the clip literaly blew out the side of the opened case. It sounded like breaking glass. So be very very carefull, and test the clip for a while.
Spyder

It is better now but still I would use needle noise pliers and be very careful but once you have it on It won't fall off that is for sure! :)

I don't know why people struggle with these, it must be the computer geek weedy arms coming into play or something :D
Anyway I find it really easy to use and do it with my fingers and thumb.
I put my left hand on the heatsink to steady it, then with my right hand I put my thumb on top of the clip and my index finger behind the flappy bit and keep that forward, then I push down with my thumbg and push the flappy bit under the lug on the socket, to remove I do it very similarily. I push down with my thumb, flip the flappy/catch bit forwar and let it loose.
It just takes a bit of getting used to and an amd core is not the best to practice on due to it being so fragile, I know when I first got my FOP I would have broken the core of an amd chip but luckily I had an intel one. Use a shim is the best advice I can give, this will svae your core if you are having bother putting the clip on as it will fustrate you at times and the last thing you want is to get angry with an un-guarded amd chip

(for others) was taking it off hard?

heh heh heh...i definitely wouldnt want to crack the core...that would be REALLY bad hehe

hey phil...are u like strong or somethin? or maybe the rest of us are all weaklings....hehehe

For me, the biggest challenge to wrestling clip retainers off is the mid-tower form factor. There's just not enough room on the PSU side of the CPU socket to work with adequately. Any retention system that requires you to remove your mobo from the case every time you remove or install an HSF is a flawed design. That's why I don't care for most clip retention systems. People using a full tower have an easier go of it.

Hoot

i find that taking out my PS helps a LOT...i struggled with my FOP38 which uses the same clip. Taking out the PS, I got it installed in about 10 seconds with a pair of needle nose pliers. Total install time with taking off the PS = 2 minutes
Total time struggling before figuring that out = 9 min
Having my temps drop 10C on full load = priceless

LoL Nyte! hehehe

ok...did you guys use a copper shim or anything?

and...for those of u who said it was easy...for someone who's never put a HSF on b4...would it still be quite simple?

Phil (Jun 26, 2001 11:04 a.m.):
I don't know why people struggle with these, it must be the computer geek weedy arms coming into play or something :D
Anyway I find it really easy to use and do it with my fingers and thumb.
I put my left hand on the heatsink to steady it, then with my right hand I put my thumb on top of the clip and my index finger behind the flappy bit and keep that forward, then I push down with my thumbg and push the flappy bit under the lug on the socket, to remove I do it very similarily. I push down with my thumb, flip the flappy/catch bit forwar and let it loose.
It just takes a bit of getting used to and an amd core is not the best to practice on due to it being so fragile, I know when I first got my FOP I would have broken the core of an amd chip but luckily I had an intel one. Use a shim is the best advice I can give, this will svae your core if you are having bother putting the clip on as it will fustrate you at times and the last thing you want is to get angry with an un-guarded amd chip

I bench press 310 # so it is not that i couldn't man handle it down there...it cut my thumb open when i was pushing the clip down with it. Bled on my MOBO, not too bad though, just a drop or two on the HSF and one on the MOBO.

NyTe (Jun 26, 2001 01:43 p.m.):
I bench press 310 # so it is not that i couldn't man handle it down there...it cut my thumb open when i was pushing the clip down with it. Bled on my MOBO, not too bad though, just a drop or two on the HSF and one on the MOBO.

Did the sacrificial blood improve your speed or temp? I'm willing to try anything. :D

Hoot

The WBK 38 was and is my first hsf and I had no problem installing it and taking it of was not hard. So I dont understand why people complain.

NyTe (Jun 26, 2001 01:39 p.m.):
i find that taking out my PS helps a LOT...i struggled with my FOP38 which uses the same clip. Taking out the PS, I got it installed in about 10 seconds with a pair of needle nose pliers. Total install time with taking off the PS = 2 minutes
Total time struggling before figuring that out = 9 min
Having my temps drop 10C on full load = priceless

NICE! i want to do it to my p3 retail hsf but too lazy I know the temps will be much cooler too!

Back