• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these good temps for a stock HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Hey all. I'm got me an AMD Athlon T-Bird 1 Ghz, running with the stock HSF assembly since day 1. I'm managed to keep it around 42-45C with 100% usage. The other day, I heard a sharp "clunk" from inside the case. Alarmed, I immediately shut down the system (ripped the power cable out), thinking my Athlon's fan had failed. I opened it up to find my secondary cooling fan sitting on top of my video card.

My VIA chip had gotten so hot the adhesive melted and the fan fell off. So, I stuck it back on and booted the system. 20 minutes later...

"Clunk!"

And off comes the case once again. After I few times, I figured, screw it, I'll just leave the case off.

I came back the next morning and found my CPU running at 35C under a full load (SETI@home).

Is it normal for a stock HSF to get this low?

well stock hsf's are meant to cool a cpu at stock temperature, and in your case it's doing just that. If you aren't overclocking or anything it's not necesary to run anything more than a stock heatsink. 42 to 45C is fine, but if you ever try to overclock you will find the limitations of the heatsink.:rolleyes:

ya, people diss the stock fan all over the place, but it really isnt that bad. i ran aroud 43 with it, and now with watercooling i get 35. big diffrence, but the HSF really isnt as bad as some people think

I would try and get that HS back on the northbridge! (Got a little humor since I said that. My ghetto Intel i810 board came with no cooling, so I slapped a heatsink on my northbridge and southbridge! kinda overkill for an Intel board):cool:

Maybe later I'll go look for my mom's ultra-high-power desk fan. I swear, on high, the windows bow out.

I remember getting my fan on this same HSF assembly to hit about 7000 rpm with that desk fan. ;)

Back