• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

assigning virtual drives/devices IP address

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
Maybe someone out there can tell me the name of what I'm wanting to do or point me in the direction of info on this matter. I've searched the internaught and just not finding the info I'm needing.

What I would like to do is have my fileserver mount essential ISOs needed for PC repair (Examples: UBCD, Windows OSs, Linux OSs) and assign them static IP address. For booting on blank rigs to install/test via network boot.

So really if someone could point me in the correct direction I'd be more than happy. Running over LAN would be much more simple than having to have disks on hand all the time.

Thank you for all your help in this matter,
AmbientFiction
:salute::salute:

You mean assigning an IP per share? I don't think that's possible without a very complicated setup. Why not setup different network user accounts that access those mounts? You could also setup a virtual machine and give it a different static IP address and have it deal with hosting images and netbooting linux, another for windows, etc.

you can set a PXE server... then just add the images to that PXE server. and when booting from other system just pick PXE boot, and it will give you a list to pick from :)

You mean assigning an IP per share? I don't think that's possible without a very complicated setup. Why not setup different network user accounts that access those mounts? You could also setup a virtual machine and give it a different static IP address and have it deal with hosting images and netbooting linux, another for windows, etc.

This is will be for blank, messed up rigs, viried rigs (LiveCD style Linux virus removal), Rigs without reader drives, Testing OCs without having to boot a CD. Yeah but I'm not quite so sure I really want to run a VM. If I'm going that route then I might as well run native and use a Folding/nativeNix to serve. I'm just not the greatest with Nix and would like it first to be on a system that I know for proper administration. In the end it will most likely be on a Nix system furthermore pushing me in the direction away from Winblows for all but gaming.

Arconis can do that. install your "server" and put the images there.

boot the bad computers with the Arconis boot CD and have it connect to the server for the image.

Back