• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M4N82 Deluxe AM3 Mobo & DDR2 1066 (Whats the deal?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robert812003

Registered
Hey guys, :beer: I'm tuning up my desktop rig since it's been dead and collecting dust for about 4 years now(mobo passed away). I'm eying a new motherboard, RAM to go with it, and a processor (to replace my stylish 3700+)since the rest of my PC is still solid (kosher PSU & GPU). I've noticed a nice leap in CPU & RAM speeds since I've left the scene, forcing me to make the leap to quad-cores and DDR2. I've chosen the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition as my new sexy PC brain. In searching around for a suitable mobo for it to mate with I've come across the Asus M4N82 Deluxe SLI AM3.

Here's the rundown on it - http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1565&pageID=6857

In the memory section I noticed something that I don't entirely understand and it worries me. Before I splurge my disgustingly hard earned coin$ on this piece of plastic I need to be sure that I won't open the box only to have it stab me in the face the moment I try to use it in all its glory.
The quote is from the page I've provided -

• *Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM3/AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only. :confused:

I can't actually choose the RAM until I've had this explained to me. The board supposedly supports up to DDR2 1200, so I figured I'll go steady for the moment and choose some DDR2 1066 sticks I could always OC. I wanted to go with four(4) 1gb sticks rather than two(2) 2gb sticks for performance reasons seeing as I'm on a tight budget. Is this impossible, or am I worrying about nothing?

My PC's specs once done will be -

• [*]Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz
    [*]Motherboard - Asus M4N82 Deluxe SLI
    [*]Power Supply - X-Finity™ 600 Watt PSU
    [*]Graphics - Radeon X1950XTX

If you have a suggestion for a better motherboard than the one I'm checking out, or a specific DDR2 RAM please let me know. I'm building it anew for the purposes of programming, light video processing, light 3D Rendering, and hardcore gaming to keep me up to date with my coding ideas. I also slightly worry if my PSU will be able to keep up. Sorry if my posts too long but I need to hear those ideas and suggestions. Help me out please guys, what's it all mean :eh?:?

Safer to get 2 sticks over 4. Reduces by 50% the chance of a memory related OC error, less power usage, easier on the IMC etc.

And yes statement from ASUS means that you can not get 1066 MHz Mem (as a multiplier setting) with 4 dimms. (you can with 2 in dual channel).

If you intend to OC your CPU you just need to use the HTREF to do your OCing instead of multiplier OCing with a Black edition. (You can still do a combination or multi and HTREF clocking though :) ).

Setting mem multiplier to 800MHZ with 4 dimms, crank the HTREF to 266 from 200. Drop HTLink CPUNB and CPU multipliers and have yourself and your good to go.

Personally I think 800 MHz DDR2 is more than fast enough if you tighten it up. Dolk I believe suggested 1000 MHz 5-5-5 was optimal for getting high CPUNB clocks though.

Thanks for the explanation Neuromancer. Seeing as how I'm not going to OC my memory much for the time being, just playing it safe for the moment and hoping for a working build I can go from, I've opted for one of their more inexpensive models - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131368

I see no RAM warnings on that board and it says it's dual channel, so hopefully the 4 sticks I'm getting will work seamlessly with it as two sets running in dual channel each. That is unless the RAM problem you explained to me does not only pertain to certain boards but is rather caused on all of them due to the current Phenom II architecture. If that's the case, please give me a heads up before I end up ordering them. Thanks again for taking your time to help me.

Yup. no DDR2-1066 without Overclocking on AMD. It is a limitation of the IMC. Motherboard independent.

Who knows they may find a way to fix it, or you can just just adjust your settings.

You NEED 4GB of ram right now? Could save even more money and wait for RAM to drop in price again and just make do with 2GB

Damn... I didn't want it to be true... Oh well. Looks like I'll follow your advice and get two 2gb sticks, running them in dual channel and OC'd to 1066 at least. What if I put four in? Would 2 run in dual channel, and 2 not?

Though now that the RAM is out of the question, What's the better mobo for my config? Should I stick with the cheaper one, as I've read it's got decent OC capabilities of its own or is the Asus M4N82 Deluxe better suited for my CPU, GPU, & RAM? The Asus M4N82 Deluxe sounds like an overclockers wet dream IMHO, I think I can live without all the OC extras that come with it. I honestly want what will be more stable and better suited to my components. What would you recommend?

The difference in overclocking comes down mainly to quality of the VRMS/FETs, number of phases and BIOS options. Unless you are going extreme (Liquid Nitrogen, Dry Ice or phase change cooling) You really will not see much of a difference between the very best over clocker and the middle of the pack one.

Personally? I would never buy the most expensive model of a motherboard series (unless I get a really good deal on it) and have had my *** bitten more than once because I let myself spend more than $100 on a board.

Some people will say the exact opposite though never settling for less than the best. Those are the guys that usually top the OC charts too :)

Hahah thanks Neuromancer, I feel that same way especially with how fast they become obsolete nowadays you shouldn't invest too much.

Can someone tell me how I'd go about overclocking my two 4gb sticks of RAM to 1066 or a little higher? I've never really toyed with RAM speeds before. I'll go over to the RAM forum if it's too complicated or long to post here. Thanks a lot.

I would read Dolks guide on overclocking the the Phenom II its easier than someone retyping everything :)

If only going with 2 sticks, just need to set multi to 1066. If its a 800 MHz ram might need to adjust the voltage and timings a bit not necessarily very much though :)

Necromancer:
No first hand knowledge, but from what I've read, the new C-3 stepping in the 125W 965 fixes that 1066 memory limit problem.

Back