• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5Q-SE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

5er driver

Registered
Hi, I'm new here. I searched the forums for this specific mobo and got 1 result. Does anyone have any opinions about it? Any negative points? The thread mentioned that this board has 4 Phase pwm which is not ideal for overclocking. I configured a gaming PC online and picked this board along with a Q9650. For starters I'm only putting in 4GB of RAM. The PC will primarily be used for flight sims. I might eventually want to OC the processor into the 3.5 ~ 4.0 GHz range. Here's a link to the mobo specs. Please let me know if there is anything wrong about it for my application.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709&l4=0&model=2428&modelmenu=2

Thanks,

Hi, I'm new here. I searched the forums for this specific mobo and got 1 result. Does anyone have any opinions about it? Any negative points? The thread mentioned that this board has 4 Phase pwm which is not ideal for overclocking. I configured a gaming PC online and picked this board along with a Q9650. For starters I'm only putting in 4GB of RAM. The PC will primarily be used for flight sims. I might eventually want to OC the processor into the 3.5 ~ 4.0 GHz range. Here's a link to the mobo specs. Please let me know if there is anything wrong about it for my application.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709&l4=0&model=2428&modelmenu=2

Thanks,

I'm not a big fan of Asus motherboards (probably shoulda stuck with Gigabyte) but the P5Q-Pro that I have... which is on the low end... is about as low as I would go. The SE model you linked to just looks like junk.

While I'm sure you could probably get it for 59 bucks or so... I think it would be worth spending an extra 20 and getting an open box P5Q-Pro (that you can get a lovely modded bios for...) or an extra 50 bucks and get a P5Q-E.

Because what if you want to do crossfire? What if you want to overclock? (the cooling on both the NB and SB of the SE look particularly week)... what if you come into some money and can afford a decent processor and a couple of video cards?

I'd frown upon the SE unless you need a rig NOW and you're dead broke.

rainless, thanks for the info. I wasn't contemplating crossfire, or SLI, that's why I wasn't looking for a board that would take 2 graphic cards. I might want to overclock a bit though.........

Back