• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 and AMD FX 8350 OC guide needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After some reading between the 3 models i posted i decided to order the one you recommend to me. I ordered Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB. It is fast and it is cheaper than Corsair or Kingston. I hope i did not make mistake :). I pay 90 Euros/ around 123 CAD and 119 USD. I think that is a fair price for the performance of this SSD. When it arrives i will post some screenshots in my thread "Which ssd to buy"

The Samsung EVO is a good drive; I have the 250GB EVO as my main/boot drive. It's amazing how fast windows boots to a usable desktop especially if you have a lot of craplets loading at the same time.

I also have the Samsung 840 PRO 120 GB which is no slouch either. The addition of an SSD to anyone's system is by far and away the best performance upgrade they could make to their system. Good Luck!

Hello, all. I just spent that last 45 minutes reading through this thread so I thought I'd post.

I recently built my own system after only using pre-built laptops for the past several years. I use my system primarily for gaming. My specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: Sabretooth 990fx r2.0
Video: MSi Geforce GTX 660ti 3GB VRAM
RAM: Patriot 8GB (2x4) 1600mhz
Storage: HDD 7200rpm 3TB
Case: Corsair Carbide 400r (2 front intake fans, 1 rear exhaust, 1 top exhaust, all 120mm)
Cooling: Hyper EVO 212
PSU: Antec 800w non-modular Bronze
Display: Two 23' ASUS VX238h
Drive(s): Basic CD and DVD reader/writer

Basically, I've been thinking about overclocking my FX8350 for quite some time now (had the system since April). Frankly, I've been far too scared. Everything I know about computers (besides basic, generalized stuff) I've learned since April. Before I built this system, I could barely muster a definition for RAM much less anything else.

However, I'm a quick learner and overclocking is something I'm very interested. I'd like to get some increased performance with some of my more CPU dependent games (Starcraft 2, Skyrim, etc).

This guide gives me a very good idea of what to do and where to start. However, could anyone really help walk me through the process? I'm TERRIFIED of screwing something up here.

I have HWMonitor, CPU-Z, and Prime95 all installed. Where do I begin?

lostcondottiere, it would be a whole lot better if you started your own overclocking thread. I started not to even look in this old thread. And nobody likes to have to dig thru old stuff to start on something new. Well not much anyway.

My CPU IDLES STABLE AT about 1.7V @ 5.2GHZ stable but will over heat if I run any program Will run overnight stable at about 50C
psb
Beat me with the same limited cooling cooling mate
psb

OK after testing things up i find that my offset value is 0.068750. With that value i am getting 1.392v at idle and when i run Prime i am getting 1.416v which i want. So i run Blend test for 2hours and 8 min and it is stable. Also my temperature are "cool" enough. Here are some screenshots.
View attachment 131839

View attachment 131840

View attachment 131841

You can run it stable 24/7 with even more cpu voltage a higher multiplyer but stress test will fail because it will over heat

View attachment 129902

View attachment 129903

Well at my place is 4.44 am and i am very pissed of right now....My Prime ran 45 minutes with no problems and than one error occur. Damn...
So i set: Overclock Tuner: Manual, CPU Ratio 21.5, CPU & NB Voltage: Manual, CPU Manual Voltage: 1.245 ( when i start Prime, PC automatically bump up voltage to 1.296v i see that in HW Monitor)
So here are the screen shots.

As you can see i have passed many things but after 45 minutes i fail. I am very but very frustrated, i did not sleep all night and this is what i get...

Please check this out, and give me your comments about temperatures, about this one fatal error etc..
P.S After 30 minutes my temperatures did not go that crazy and i was happy, thinking that it will be stable at 4.3Ghz, but that one error destroy me :bang head

My CPU cannot run any stress test at 4.3GHZ wihout extra voltage

Last edited by a moderator:
My CPU cannot run any stress test at 4.3GHZ wihout extra voltage

And your 3 posts in a few minutes means what? The thread is nearly a month old now. If you need something...best to start your own thread. We don't pay as much attention to older threads since we know the OP is usually gone.

Like i sad before i am settled at 4.42Ghz right now until cooler time arrives. I am not going to push mu CPU at this current hot climate, 4.42Ghz will do just fine in the next month or so :)

Prime 95-Blend Test
View attachment 130392
View attachment 130393
View attachment 130397

Prime 95-Large FFT

View attachment 130395
View attachment 130396
View attachment 130398

I will let my CPU run hot in stress test till it black screns or fail to work I will leave it over 120C I will leave it running over 240 F Get more cooling up your voltage and multiplyer and you will get higher clocks stable in stress test

And your 3 posts in a few minutes means what? The thread is nearly a month old now. If you need something...best to start your own thread. We don't pay as much attention to older threads since we know the OP is usually gone.

You telling me I am a noob at Overclocking ? Back off and prove me wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
You telling me I am a noob at Overclocking ? Back off and prove me wrong

Ah I see now. Thought you were perhaps needing help like most do that post. But I see from your attitude that you are more like a bragging troll. Have fun since I don't care how high you clock. We mostly are into helping those that are trying to overclock and not those that have it down pat. Good luck man and have fun.

Ah I see now. Thought you were perhaps needing help like most do that post. But I see from your attitude that you are more like a bragging troll. Have fun since I don't care how high you clock. We mostly are into helping those that are trying to overclock and not those that have it down pat. Good luck man and have fun.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734279 This is how high I clock mate 2.46V stock cooling and max voltage settings allowed in bios MATE

Back