• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 1900+ Temp Too High

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryfloyd

I am new to this forum but I have a question.

I have been making computers for some time now and I just built a new computer for myself but I have a problem. I have a Asus A7v333 motherboard with an Athlon XP 1900+. I have the Swifttech MCX370 HSF but MBM5 recognitizes the CPU Temp to be anywhere from 48-53. 48 when the system is idling and 53 when the system is be worked hard. These tempuratures are WAY WAY to high for my liking. I applied Artic Silver 3 just as described on there website. I even reinstalled the HSF but the problem still continues. I have the Enermax Aluminum case with 2 exhaust fans directly behind the cpu, 2 fans in my Enermax PS, one 120mm intake side fan, and one intake fan up front. I feel that my temps should be way lower than this. My Motherboard temp is 35-37 and that is good but the Cpu is way to high.

Should I apply Artic Silver a little thicker?
I have my CPU Heatsink fan blowing down on the cpu and the 120mm fan on the side blowing down on that. Is this correct?
Is the reading from MBM5 correct? Doesn't the A7V333 read the temp from the CPU and not a diode beneath the CPU?

Any suggestions are appreciatated.

Thanks,
Ryan Floyd

I THINK this board reads the on-die temp sensor of the CPU. If it does then these are accurate temps. If not, I have heard that ASUS reads about 10C hotter than normal. Your mobo temp seems very high, what is room temp? My mobo temp is 24C with Idle of 39 (On die sensor). DO NOT APPLY AS3 TOO THICK!!!Use a paper thin layer!

Thanks for the fast post.

I think you are right about the motherboard having an on-die sensor, but why are the temps so high?
I applied artic silver just as said on the website so I will not redo it with a thicker layer.
The room tempurature is 24.

Any more suggestions?

For that HSF and the on-die sensor those are not bad temps. You/I/We are used to people barking out temps that MEAN NOTHING. Using a probe that sits in the socket BEHIND the CPU is no way to measure actual core temps. With a better HSF, your temps would be @44-46 idle (AX-7 for example). I still think your mobo temp is high, try messing with some fans. Is your HSF fan blowing or do you have it sucking?

Thanks for the response.

I still think my temps should be lower considering that HSF has gotten great reviews and cost me $45. My HSF fan is blowing down on the CPU. I will try to fool with my air paths and get my mobo temp down. What is a dangerous temp for the mobo and the cpu?

Thanks again,
Ryan Floyd

ryfloyd said:
Thanks for the response.

I still think my temps should be lower considering that HSF has gotten great reviews and cost me $45. My HSF fan is blowing down on the CPU. I will try to fool with my air paths and get my mobo temp down. What is a dangerous temp for the mobo and the cpu?

Thanks again,
Ryan Floyd

What voltage are you running your cpu at? Dangerous temp, huh, well AMD says 90C is the limit so I think your puter would become unstable before you ever fry your CPU, I would try to keep it under 60C, that is with the on-die reading. The mobo temp is not dangerous just high which in turn makes the CPU run hotter. If your room temp is 24C, a GOOD MB temp would be 25-30C. If you could achieve that, I think your CPU temps will drop a few C's.

Dont worry about your temps. The on-die is a great reading. So, now we (People with on-die temp readings) must wait for a few more of these boards to come out, so we can determine a good temp for us :)

I have an Epox 8k3a+ with an xp1900+ as well. I have a ThermalTake 6cu HSF (Sucks) and i'm at idle at 56 and full load at 62/63. I have no instability, and my case temp is staying at a comfortable 27/28.

I am even overclocking a little bit (1608@1724)

I ordered my AX-7 Today. It should be here in 7 days. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for all the responses! This board is great!

I will reposition the fans and see if I can lower the mobo temp.

My Core voltage is untouched and is 1.78volts.

Thanks for the answer I appreciate them.

Ryan Floyd

Back