• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audigy crap with good headphones?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itim100

I just got a pair of Sony MDR-V700s, the ones that get good reviews and are for "DJ Remix Use", and when I plugged them in my Audigy sound card, I got some massive distortion, very noticable. When I pan the sound, the distortion stays on the channel it was on before, and the distortion is also apparent on very low volume settings. I freaked, and tried different mp3s and programs, then tried different headphones: my old Aiwa XP2222s,or something like that. I couldn't hear any distortion whatsoever on these, and they are not poor enough headphones that their response would have anything to do with it. The Sonys (sonies?) have an impedancee of 24 ohms@ 1k, and 107dB/mw 50mm drivers. Is it likely that the phones draw more power or have too much resistance for the Audigy? I have heard of headphone amps...

ANY help is greatly appreciated!

Those aren't going to draw too much power. 24 ohms is nothing, check out some of the Sennheiser levels :). Now, do they sound good on other sources? Maybe you need to replace those phones.

im assuming the more ohms, the better. Why then, do the sony v600s draw 32 Ohms, but the booklet says v700s draw 24? Is it possible that this is a typo in the book? How many ohms until a 'phone amp is required?

Well, amps help for every level. But these type of phones will work better from, example, a cd player than something w/200+ ohms. And of course, you'd hear a difference in quality with an amp but not as big as if you had some better phones.

But back to your problem, I dont think an amp would cure it. If you want some more help try posting this at head-fi.org.

its rated ohms is its resistance. the lower the resistance, the more current it draws (amps), and the harder it is to drive.
Thats why headphones typically have a rating anywhere from 16ohms upwards, because they are easier to drive. Also, thats the reason subWoofers are typically 4ohms and below, because they draw more current, and more current = more power.
so you dont need to worry about the 'phones resistance, beacuse that has nothing to do with your problem. Have you tried them with a different source?

"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight." - George Gobel

LMAO..................

Hey I have the Sony MDRv600's Pluged into a Soundblaster Xgamer Platnum & it works great My power supply is only a 350 Sparkle & I have 8 fans hooked up too it & Im not having any Problems as far as Power to drive the headphones

If you have a Home Stero plug the Headphones into it & see if your still having distortion if not then you need to start trouble shooting your PC

The phones work fine with my 2 cdplayers and my boombox.

Yay! I plugged my phones into a 5' extension cable and the distortion is gone! I tried running a wire from the metal showing on the plug to the metal on the back of the audigy to recreate the distortion, but it is gone (until i plug the phones in directly again). Guess it was the plug on my phones somehow. Wierd.

I've had similar problems listening with high end headphones.

Certain applications, game speech and wav type sounds give me this weird hiss/screech noise, while everything else is fine (mp3, cd, etc...)

Suggestions?

i would recommend making a headphone amp for em....one of the members here recently built one that he says works great..give azzkiller an email since hes never here

Headphones will almost always produce better sound then speakers. So now you just hearing all the stuff that you couldnt hear b4. either that or you have you windows volume jacked up too high

No, no, no. Making statements like "Headphones will almost always produce better sounds than speakers"; you're not taking in everything. First off, any well made speaker system will kill a well put together headphone system. Of course this means $1000 to $500, but in respective realms the prices are in the moderate level(mid-range of pricing for the categories). And no, i will not say "but a $25G speaker system will kick anythings ***!" because we all know that's in the land of ridiculousness...

The real thing is that you, yourself, believe this probably because of some $120 headphones that sound better than computer speakers/tv speakers/boomboxes. While headphones are good- and very good with the right sources, amps, and cables-speakers can change the sound stage to incredible differences.

And of course as we talk audio, it's up to the individual. Some say headphones while others say speakers, open vs. closed, super-aural vs. clip-on...everything is in the eye of the beholder.

TommyTheCat said:

The real thing is that you, yourself, believe this probably because of some $120 headphones that sound better than computer speakers/tv speakers/boomboxes.

my sennheiser HD 600 headphones and my home stereo with Vienna Acoustics Beethoven floorspeakers, Sony SACD player, Mcintosh C202 amp(borrowing), Mcintosh C42 preamp(borrowing) and audioquest cables. Just because its not hooked up to my computer(total waste since the source isnt that great compared to the SACD player) and have the klipsch doesnt mean thats the only thing i know about.

TommyTheCat said:
Of course this means $1000 to $500, but in respective realms the prices are in the moderate level(mid-range of pricing for the categories). And no, i will not say "but a $25G speaker system will kick anythings ***!"

Do you work at Best Buy or Circuit City?

Last edited:
Back