• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD system locks up, won't power down w/power button or reset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you see a frozen screen and mouse pointer or did it shut off?

When it locks up the screen goes completely black so I can't see anything, mouse and keyboard don't respond that I can tell, if I was playing a music video it will abruptly stop. The internal fans all still run but I can't turn the pc with the power button no matter how long I hold it down and the reset doesn't work. I have to unplug the power cord and I also have to leave it unplugged for quite awhile most times. Plugging it back in after just a short time will usually cause the pc to start up the fans and the light on the mb but won't boot up or post.

So I had the pc running for at least the last 48 hrs - typing on this forum, surfing the web, etc. - nothing too stressful for the cpu with the side.cover still off. I did a Restart in Windows 7 and almost immediately pressed Deleted 22repeatedly to get into BIOS to set the bus speed back to 200 - it didn't go into BIOS but instead have to a screen that just listed Windows 7 highlighted as a choice to boot into. I pressed the reset button with the same result. I pressed the reset button 1 more time and it came to a screen where the first option was to repair Windows, so I selected that. It found no errors. I then choose the option listed for memory test. I walked away for awhile and when I came back it looked like it wasn't moving. I pressed ESC that was one of the choices and it looked like it was going to reboot but then locked up again and as usual reset or power button didn't work. I powered off for about 40 minutes, booted into BIOS and set the bus timing to 200.

Next steps are getting the new fan, switching the cpu cooler 90 degrees and cleaning up the cabling. I will also blow out dust again, which I did do recently. Anything else guys? Is there any merit to that post I listed earlier about the ram not being compatible and switching to G. Skill?

When it locks up the screen goes completely black so I can't see anything, mouse and keyboard don't respond that I can tell, if I was playing a music video it will abruptly stop. The internal fans all still run but I can't turn the pc with the power button no matter how long I hold it down and the reset doesn't work. I have to unplug the power cord and I also have to leave it unplugged for quite awhile most times. Plugging it back in after just a short time will usually cause the pc to start up the fans and the light on the mb but won't boot up or post.

Sounds like anti-overheat shutdown and lockout. It will shut down if it reaches a critical temp point. For example, running x64 2-pass encoding with not enough cooling.

Sounds like anti-overheat shutdown and lockout. It will shut down if it reaches a critical temp point. For example, running x64 2-pass encoding with not enough cooling.
He listed temps earlier I believe... and this happens on idle/isn't a load issue. How can it be temps?

He listed temps earlier I believe... and this happens on idle/isn't a load issue. How can it be temps?

Sounded like that, if he couldn't shut down by holding down the power button. And he/she, mentioned power cord.

But, yes, he/she reported the fans still going! :screwy: It does sound like crashes I used to get at idle 19 years ago.

I do wonder if it's the PSU. I don't even know what the max-load temps are. I apologize. Post #12 looks like idle temps.

Last edited:
My amd desktop rig has the same problem. I have currently resorted to leaving the side panel off and have zero issues with shutdowns. Whenever I'd leave the cover on, it shuts down for no reason. I know I need to reseat my cpu with new paste because it's using the same paste from the first install of 6 yrs ago. I cracked it and looked and can confirm. I had OC'd it to the max built-in 4.5 OC but it was just months ago (early 2020?) when this started happening. After going back to stock stable at 3.7, and leaving the cover off, it runs fine. Too lazy to do it and the OC benefits just aren't there for me right now. I haven't done any encoding for a long time and really don't want to either.
Also, nothing I do that does require intense cpu causes any shutdowns or errors. If it aint broke...
Personally a magnetic mesh/cloth side cover would work just fine too. I have a DataVac electric Duster so I don't worry about it too too much atm.

Last edited:
So I ran Prime95 again (side cover off) back on 12/11 for about 25 minutes. I was about the run CPUz to capture the temps when I had to take our dog out to do her thing. When I came back - LOCKED UP TIGHT!. I was so pissed I unplugged, walked away and left it even until the very moment. I may try it tomorrow some time if I get a chance but I am preparing for a trip for Christmas, so I may or may not get to messing with the rig until after New Years.

By the way, is there any chance it could be incompatible memory like I mentioned earlier that I saw in a thread from several years ago. The one poster solved his lockuo issues by switching to G. Skill brand memory. Is this possibly the issue? When I asked earlier in the thread, nobody answered this question. I also don't know if it is possibly a bad PSU or something funky with Windows 7 or what. Any further advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

So I ran Prime95 again (side cover off) back on 12/11 for about 25 minutes. I was about the run CPUz to capture the temps when I had to take our dog out to do her thing. When I came back - LOCKED UP TIGHT!. I was so pissed I unplugged, walked away and left it even until the very moment. I may try it tomorrow some time if I get a chance but I am preparing for a trip for Christmas, so I may or may not get to messing with the rig until after New Years.

By the way, is there any chance it could be incompatible memory like I mentioned earlier that I saw in a thread from several years ago. The one poster solved his lockuo issues by switching to G. Skill brand memory. Is this possibly the issue? When I asked earlier in the thread, nobody answered this question. I also don't know if it is possibly a bad PSU or something funky with Windows 7 or what. Any further advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

Yes, memory incompatibility was a thing in that generation of AMD. All the memory manufacturers back in the DDR3 era were gearing their timings to Intel chips. As I recall, Kingston was notorious for giving problems with AMD. But if you were comfortable with tweaking RAM, you could adjust the sub timings to make it work better.

So I finally attempted to work on this rig again. I installed a front and rear case fan, swapped the memory for G. SKILL RAM - one recommended in the ASUS MB manual and removed the Hyper 212 Evo heat sink. I noticed a lot of thermal paste, so much that it oozed out onto the MB a little bit. I carefully cleaned it all up with alcohol and also removed the AMD CPU and check for bent pins. After I reinstalled everything I noticed the heat sink moved slightly side to side - it wasn't completely snug onto the CPU. I don't remember this from the first time I did the build but that was so long ago that it is possible that it wasn't tightened down even from back when I first did the build. I double checked the screws holding down the heat sink but they were as tight as I could get them.

Is it possible that this is what was causing the constant lock ups this whole time? I did also try to startup the rig anyway and almost immediately got an error message 'CPU fan error Press F1' but pressing F1 didn't do anything. What should I try next?

The only thing I can thing of is trying shorter stand offs in order to get the heat sink tightened down more. I think the heat sink came with 2 sizes of standoffs. Any other recommendations?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated, as this has been the build from hell!!

It's normal to have a bit of play in the HS. As for the fan warning, is the cooler fan plugged into the marked CPU fan header? If the board doesn't sense a fan there it will give that message.

It's normal to have a bit of play in the HS. As for the fan warning, is the cooler fan plugged into the marked CPU fan header? If the board doesn't sense a fan there it will give that message.

I believe it is but I will double check when I am home this evening.

The mounting system of the CM Hyper 212 Evo is poorly engineered IMO. The ones I have used in builds have always had the problem you describe. The pressure seems to be adequate enough for the cooler to do it's job but I was always left with an uneasy feeling.

The mounting system of the CM Hyper 212 Evo is poorly engineered IMO. The ones I have used in builds have always had the problem you describe. The pressure seems to be adequate enough for the cooler to do it's job but I was always left with an uneasy feeling.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback. Yeah when I purchased the Hyper 212 Evo over the stock cooler I was initially planning to overclock the Fx6300 a little bit but as it stands I can't even get it to run consistently stable!

Well I got past the CPU fan error and got it to boot up to Windows. I ran HWMonitor and temps were around 33C. I opened Prime95 and ran it (cover on) - almost immediately it locked up again as to where the screen just goes completely black & the power button doesn't turn it off!!! I'M ABOUT DONE WITH THIS PIECE OF ****!!! At this point it almost has to be a F-d up CPU or MB - agree anyone?

I should have tried harder to troubleshoot about 3 years ago when I first had this issue and could RMA either MB or CPU - now I think I'm just completely screwed and have flushed all the money down the drain.

I don't know what else to do. I'm too damn stubborn to give up but this f-ing piece of crap might have won!! I'm so pissed/frustrated!

Please explain how you 'got past' the cpu error. I'm assuming you plugged the fan lead into the cpu header, right?

Did you breadboard the system?

Did you reinstall windows? That was also suggested in 2020, not sure if it happened. I see a mention of windows 7... maybe upgrade to W10. Unlikely it's windows, but with all of the hard resets and such, who knows.

Please explain how you 'got past' the cpu error. I'm assuming you plugged the fan lead into the cpu header, right?

Did you breadboard the system?

Did you reinstall windows? That was also suggested in 2020, not sure if it happened. I see a mention of windows 7... maybe upgrade to W10. Unlikely it's windows, but with all of the hard resets and such, who knows.

I didn't anything to get past the cpu fan error. I just opened up the case, checked to make sure the cpu fan was plugged into the header & in the correct spot - it was. I didn't even reseat the fan cable, I just powered back on and it when into Windows.

I don't know what breadboard the system means exactly. And no I did not reinstall Windows nor upgrade to Win10.

Breadboard means to take it out of the case and build it that way (on a card board box). This eliminates grounding issues from the chassis.

Breadboard means to take it out of the case and build it that way (on a card board box). This eliminates grounding issues from the chassis.

Would I hook up all the components as I have now, just outside the case or just build outside the case with limited components? If the latter, which components would I start with?

Thanks.

Back