• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Avira AntiVir - best antivirus program of this or any generation - and it's free!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Avira AntiVir - best antivirus program of this or any generation - and it's free!

EDIT 2015: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...tall-2015-freeware-antivirus-Avira-version-15

They just got in so many new definitions, they've surpassed the pay-for competing programs. If you have an old system that you haven't scanned recently, you might be surprised what's hiding in it :):

A few years back Avira Antivir was in the top three as tested by people at the forums, I'd say they've only gotten better. Useful info:

EDIT: To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies >
Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

1. Download page:
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

2. Subscription to new virus definitions for this program does not expire. (It is renewed automatically when it expires.)

Allow the configuration wizard to keep the default extended threat categories.
(UNCHECK: Appication (APPL), Games, Jokes, Security privacy risk, and Unusual runtime compression.)

Options:
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avcenter.exe

Turn off notification pop-ups after Antivir updates itself:
Administration (lower left) > Scheduler > Right-click on Daily Update > Edit job > Next > Next > Next > under Display mode, select Invisible > Finish.

> Configuration (Right middle part of the window) > CHECK: Expert mode (upper left)
> Scanner > Scan > Action for concerning files

then
> Guard > Scan > Heuristic > UNCHECK everything if installing on older/slower systems.

then
> General > Security > UNCHECK: Show notice if the virus definition file is out of date
then
> Update > Download and install product updates automatically (recommended)

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > Administrative Tools [in Windows 7, click on System and Security first] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

For Windows XP Home you would need to boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator, then
go to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
and right click on it >
Properties > Security > Advanced > Edit > Select options not to let it execute for all users.

To disable AntiVir splash screen: right click on its shortcut > Properties >
Next to Target: add /ns to the existing path.

To disable AntiVir splash screen if it automatically starts at bootup, use program such as
Startup Control Panel > HKLM / Run TAB > right click on avgnt > Edit... >
add /ns to the existing path of the program so that it reads
"C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min /ns

To submit a suspected virus, go to
http://analysis.avira.com/samples/
to upload it.

Manual updates can be downloaded from:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip
or for older versions of Windows:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_9x_en.zip
Unzip the downloaded file and copy all the contents to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
overwriting existing files.

It is possible to transfer virus definitions between systems if Antivir version is the same so that it contains these files:
aecore.dll
aeemu.dll
aegen.dll
aehelp.dll
aeheur.dll
aeoffice.dll
aepack.dll
aerdl.dll
aescn.dll
aescript.dll
aeset.dat
aevdf.dll
antivir0.vdf
antivir1.vdf
antivir2.vdf
antivir3.vdf
avewin32.dll
avpack32.dll
avrep.dll
unacev2.dll

Using two Antivirus programs at the same time:
If there are two Antivirus programs installed, you should not have two Antivirus *Guard* programs active at the same time because this would slow the system down, Windows may even have problems booting with two Antivirus guard components being active. So if installing AntiVir on a system where there already is an Antivirus program installed, do not install AntiVir guard.

Also disable the guard component of one program if using another program to scan an entire disk drive.

Default log file location is
C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

For older versions:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\LOGFILES
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
or
C:\Program Files\Avira AntiVir Personal\
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Avira AntiVir Personal\LOGFILES

hbedv.key Product License Key File is included and is available on the official download page as well.
In case of subscription problems, download the latest key file from
http://dl2.avgate.net/down/windows/hbedv.key

and copy it to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop

Last edited:
Yeah, it's what I use. I like it because it doesn't try to take over your system like some AV programs. I remember using Norton on an older computer. When the subscription expired, I uninstalled it but half of the files were still there and the service would still run. Didn't realize that there was another program I had to get to kill it once and for all.

Which is why I use Avast!. Works great, doesn't hog resources, hasn't ever missed anything on any of my systems, and NEVER tells me to BUY PRO! or **** like that.

I tried it recently and dumped it after a few weeks due to it popping up some BS "Buy Me" stuff just about every day. :rolleyes:
Its free! So is a mouse click to kill the window. I have been using this program for a year or so. Every now and then I will use an online virus scan and it comes up clean.

I tried it recently and dumped it after a few weeks due to it popping up some BS "Buy Me" stuff just about every day. :rolleyes:
You can pay to get read of the "Buy Me" stuff muddocktor or... you can read my first post with instructions about how to kill the nag screen:

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > Administrative Tools >
Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies >
Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe

Didn't realize that there was another program I had to get to kill it once and for all.
Are you talking about software that takes out all traces of Norton or uninstalling extra stuff after uninstalling Norton Antivirus?

Which is why I use Avast!. Works great, doesn't hog resources, hasn't ever missed anything on any of my systems, and NEVER tells me to BUY PRO! or **** like that.
Pay-for version of Avast doesn't have a nag screen and neither does pay-for version of Antivir.

But even free version of Antivir's nag screen can be disabled easily, see two posts above.

Still, the bottom line is, if you infect a test machine with 10,000 newest virii, Antivir will find more of them than competing programs AND do so without hogging resources like most of them.

Free version of Avast doesn't have a nag screen, so no tricks necessary to disable it, since it isn't there. I've tried many antivirus programs, Antivir being one of them, and Avast! beats them all for low-resource usage on all of my systems.

Thanks, c627627, for the way to kill the nag screen. Yea...it's annoying to have to mess with the nag screen but I figured it was a minor thing...but not having that nag will be real nice.!

Oh yeah, the nag screen is why most people stop using Avira Antivir, but it's easy to disable it so that leaves the questions of definitions & resource usage.

I did not know Avast is free now. I understand you're saying Avast uses less resources than Avira. That may or may not be true but it is a fact that Avira is not a resource hog.

Things may have changed now but when new virii were dumped into a test system at overclockers, Avast was near the bottom when it came to definitions. Antivir definitions have been stellar lately and they were at the top then as well.

Old tests, I guess we should do new ones:

Attachments

• AntiVirusTest.jpg
    AntiVirusTest.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 874
AVG isn't on that list?

Number 30 on the list.

Oh yeah, the nag screen is why most people stop using Avira Antivir, but it's easy to disable it so that leaves the questions of definitions & resource usage.

I did not know Avast is free now. I understand you're saying Avast uses less resources than Avira. That may or may not be true but it is a fact that Avira is not a resource hog.

Things may have changed now but when new virii were dumped into a test system at overclockers, Avast was near the bottom when it came to definitions. Antivir definitions have been stellar lately and they were at the top then as well.

Old tests, I guess we should do new ones:

Avast is at 4.8 now, and there's been a free version for years... The only difference between the free and pro is some interface changes and some more scanning/update options, the virus database is the same...

Anyway, I can't find any reference to the virus database on Avira's site. Avast has their update list here, and they've had daily vdb updates ever since I started using Avast. Also, looking at the table of stuff in AntiVir "Personal" compared to Avast "Home" (the free versions of each)...

Avast has a email scanner that will download and scan your email before your mail client has a chance to load it. AntiVir does not. Avast has a "ERDB" backup store of system files, to use for restoration in case a virus corrupts them beyond repair. AntiVir does not. Avast can detect spyware. AntiVir doesn't. Avast has P2P, IM, and Web "live protection". AntiVir does not. So even if AntiVir uses slightly less resources, Avast would seem to provide much better protection.

They just got in so many new definitions, they've surpassed the pay-for competing programs. If you have an old system that you haven't scanned recently, you might be surprised what's hiding in it :)

Got a link to their definition list? I can't find one. Do they update daily, like Avast?

I don't give a crap if they have a thousand definitions (only 300 when that list was made) more than Avast if it can only remove after the computer has already been compromised. I much prefer something that will prevent the infection in the first place.

Last edited:
But I have something for us both. I was just this moment getting ready to clean the buttload of malware Avira discovered the other day after a massive definitions update. I will try to find the free version of Avast, and run the scan to see if Avast will find them all.

How's that? :beer:

I would still never recommend anything that specifically lists on-access protection as "not included" in the free version.

EDIT: Re-read their page, and it is "web guard" they list as not included, but they don't list any "live protect" features other than that, so...

What is live protect please?

I am installing Avast right now. I have no personal attachment to any program, you made good points and I'm doing what I did a few years ago, which is to install any Antivirus program people recommend, update it with latest definitions, then test it on my personal files that were infected.

Your suggestion could not have come at a better time, I am now installing Avast and will let you know what it found vs. Avira.

I used to use Antivir, switched to Bitdefender these days though and couldn't be happier.

As for Live Protect. Sounds like nothing more then the ability to scan files as they are opened/run in real time. Most programs offer this ability but it does effect system performance.

Oh if that's what Live Protect is, well of course, that's what it's all about.

I click to enter a folder and *bam* Antivir warning window pops up about one of the 100 files inside that folder being a virus.

Hey, I am scanning with Avast as we speak, a bit slower than Avira but that's OK, it's what it finds that will count.

Also when it found the first virus, I checked not to be prompted again and clicked on Continue because all I want is a list of found nasties, not to remove them just yet.

Please tell me there is a log file somewhere keeping track of all the virii found during this long scan... or else :bang head

P.S. Why did you switch to Bitdefender?

Back