• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jjfried

Asus P4S8X, P4 2.53 533Mhz, 512 MB Corsair XMS PC2700, Gaonward GForce 3 Ti 200 Golden Sample.
With stock cooling when I would run 3DMarks the box would beep like crazy, no real pattern, e high, some low, no real order. Jumped the Agp voltage and gott more beeps. I replaced the HSF with a P4 Dragon and the beeps are fewer but still there. The Asus Probe utility never reports a temperature above 112F.
What's making the box beep?

Is this question to lowbrow for this board? Does no one have an idea what is causing the beeps? I am sorry if I am too stupid to participate in this forum. I will not post again.

I do not trust Asus Thermal sensors... My P4 1.8AB0 at 2.4 only is 4F above stock... it is probably its thermal warning going off.... dunno.... ehh?

jjfried said:
Asus P4S8X, P4 2.53 533Mhz, 512 MB Corsair XMS PC2700, Gaonward GForce 3 Ti 200 Golden Sample.
With stock cooling when I would run 3DMarks the box would beep like crazy, no real pattern, e high, some low, no real order. Jumped the Agp voltage and gott more beeps. I replaced the HSF with a P4 Dragon and the beeps are fewer but still there. The Asus Probe utility never reports a temperature above 112F.
What's making the box beep?

Disable Asus Probe and see what happens. Could be its going over/under a few warning presets.

Thanks for the response. Disabling the Asus Probe had no affect on the beeps. There are only five or six beeps now, but I am thinking that there should be none. Does anyone know if Gainward video cards beep? Had this card in an Athlon 1.33 system and never heard a sound. Maybe I should disconnect the speaker.

jjfried said:
Thanks for the response. Disabling the Asus Probe had no affect on the beeps. There are only five or six beeps now, but I am thinking that there should be none. Does anyone know if Gainward video cards beep? Had this card in an Athlon 1.33 system and never heard a sound. Maybe I should disconnect the speaker.

You dont have a bad keyboard, do you? Sometimes that can cause a problem (stuck key or bad signal). If you have access to another then you might want to give it a try for curiositys sake.

I am using a cordless Logitech keybord and mouse. Haven't noticed anything weird with either one. Got me puzzled. With no load, CPU temp is reported by Asus probe as 91F, MB 91F.

jjfried said:
I am using a cordless Logitech keybord and mouse. Haven't noticed anything weird with either one. Got me puzzled. With no load, CPU temp is reported by Asus probe as 91F, MB 91F.

Temps are fine. But unplug mouse/keyboard and try another just to see what happens.

Ok. Try opening task manager and see if any processes are running that could affect it.

Then open system information and see if there are any device conflicts reported.

You could also pull any extra pci cards to test the sytem for conflicting devices ( or turn off stuff like lan adapters in the bios)

Is this a new build? You could always remove the board from the case and run it on a bit of cardboard to see if a circuit was shorting out on a standoff.

It is a new build with MB, CPU and RAM. I reused the three hard drives, the three optical devices, video card and IDE controller card.
I am new to XP and would appreciate guidance concerning processes that could be causing this. I will pull the MB tomorrow and see if it works better outside the box. Good idea, that one. Thanks.

jjfried said:
It is a new build with MB, CPU and RAM. I reused the three hard drives, the three optical devices, video card and IDE controller card.
I am new to XP and would appreciate guidance concerning processes that could be causing this. I will pull the MB tomorrow and see if it works better outside the box. Good idea, that one. Thanks.

The processes problem would have to be found by looking at the list of running processes in the task manager and shutting down what you would guess to be the cause. That would end up being a trial and error kind of procedure.

If you click START/All programs/accessories/system tools/system information then you can get some info on what is going on in your machine.....Like what is using what IRQ and what rescources are being shared as well as possible conflicts in the system. Cant hurt to look at that, but it may not detect the problem.

Back