• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bent pins on a P4 processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlo56

i noticed that my new P4 2.8C from newegg had a few bent pins (gold pins underneath the proc).....

If i should straighten them pins out with a smooth blade so it'll fit into the mobo socket, would it still work as it should? is a processor damaged if the pins are bent?

Happens every now and then, sometimes a thin credit card will work to straighten em out, personally I use mechanical pencil without the lead so I can slide it right over the pin and just tip it straight. If you get em straight enough to go in the socket it should be just fine IMO. Be careful you don't overdue it and wiggle them back and forth though.

Those suckers are really hard to see. I have to use a magnifying glass. But yes, if you can straighten them back up without breaking them, and if it fits smoothly into the socket when you're done, then it'll be fine.

I had a P4 2.0a that I got only because its pins were bent. It took me a bit of work, but I finally got them straight (enough). One of those suckers broke off, but hey, the thing still worked fine, and it overclocked to 2.66 on stock voltage. Sweet deal for a free processor. :)

Tell me about bent pins. :mad:
Got a 2.6C today from a guy I bought it from.
Although he packed it in pretty well, I think that some guys at the postoffice have been trowing around with it.
I opened the box and noticed that the cpu was outside the plastic, laying in the brown cartboard box..
OH NO.
I checked it and it had 12 pins that were severaly bent.
All in all, more than 30 pins (yes, 30 pins) were slightly or heavily bent.
Took me 1 hour to get them straight.
But cpu works fine (3.5Ghz, 1.60V, WC).
To bad I didn't take any pics.

My 3.2c had bent pins (my fault), I told the guy at Intel what happened, even said it was my fault, & he let me RMA it!

You might want to see if they'll let you RMA it.

people in this forum make it seem like intel RMAs are smooth processes, but in several other forums including anandtech
i've seen a lot of painful experiences with intel RMA...

i heard that Intel reps usually asks u to test CPU in several boards first (one guy even had to provide the serial numbers of the boards he tested in just to prove he did test..wtf), even then they are reluctant to RMA, usually blaming the issue on other components. i believe the intel reps do just about anything to avoid RMA

jlo56 said:
people in this forum make it seem like intel RMAs are smooth processes, but in several other forums including anandtech
i've seen a lot of painful experiences with intel RMA...

i heard that Intel reps usually asks u to test CPU in several boards first (one guy even had to provide the serial numbers of the boards he tested in just to prove he did test..wtf), even then they are reluctant to RMA, usually blaming the issue on other components. i believe the intel reps do just about anything to avoid RMA

I guess it all depends on who you get a hold of.

Back