• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best current socket 775 motherboards. Worth the upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBliss

Registered
I have an ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi currently that I had set up for an RMA due to USB and cold boot issues. I currently have figured out my problems with the P5K but if I send it in I will be getting cash back on the RMA so I can get what ever I want and price is of no concern . But before I pull it out of my box I want to know if it's worth going for the RMA and upgrading. What would you recommend with my current hardware.

E8400 cpu and Tuniq Tower 120 ( I will be overclocking to at least 3.6ghz )
EVGA 8800 GTX
2x 1gb OCZ Titanium Alpha 1066 DDR2
2x 150gb WD Raptors in RAID
1x 500gb WD hard drive
4x DVDR drives

If I need to I will buy DDR3 if their is a board that will be more future proof or incredibly superior to any DDR2 board out now. I had 2GB (both sticks of OCZ Ti Alpa) go bad in my current MoBo not sure if it was bad DDR2 or the board. My new sticks work fine so far.

I am also thinking of ordering a GTX 280 so pci-e 2.0 might be nice. Pci-e 2.0 might be good to go with for future proofing since I have the option of upgrading. Not sure if the 2.0 is necessary though.

Not sue if my RAID 0 setup on the ICH9R will transfer to ICH10R I have heard it should. I will do an acronnis image backup just incase I go with a ICH10R board and need to set up another RAID 0 array.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
790i would be a good choice if you are sticking to nvidia and planning to go to DDR3, i have read good things about the 790i.... allows for easy upgrade later on in the way of SLI and tri-SLI... only downside is thay are a bit pricey, at least they are in Scotland!! :D

Either 780i or 790i, really depends on weather or not you want to buy ddr3 or not. I am personally in love with my XFX 780i right now.

Back