• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Headset Any Budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There WILL be someone to say why not a receiver and digital, quite simply why ruin the sound from the source using digital? Analog can be looked at similar to vinyl in regards to sound (if you don't understand, go listen to some vinyl), so my personal recommendation is to stick with it. On top of the fact that you will be spending quite more on a quality receiver that takes up space at your pc for no reason when the sound card offers the superior DAC anyway (assuming you don't purchase a high end receiver of course) :/

Thats not really accurate at all o_O Receivers have onboard EQ's most of the time, and they have much higher SPL's. I do all analog recordings and analog always sounds better. Ask Eddie Van Halen or Armin Van Buuren what the difference is. Analog always sounds better than digital, unless you're weird. Analog doesn't mean "low quality", and vinyls also have ridiculous high fidelity. Way higher then CD/DVD. "lossless" audio on Blurays are designed to emulate vinyl records.

I would highly recommend against paying $400 for them (Senn PC360 is $166 right now at Amazon... ).... And a USB sound card is exactly that, a USB sound card, not something I tend to recommend unless you are in absolute need and are unable too occupy PCI-E/PCI slots.

You can purchase the Beyer sound card seperate,
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/usb-sound-card-for-headsets.html, but I would really recommend a SoundBlaster Z at this time due to it's price/performance. You can of course use your onboard, keeping in mind the MMX300 does NOT need an amp to be driven.

"Best" around is controversial, you have the ASUS Xonar Phoebus, ASUS Xonar ST, Creative TitaniumHD, Creative ZxR, and HT Omega Claro XT. As you can see from my specs I run the Phoebus, nothing but good to say about it and since Creative put out some decent drivers for their Z-series of cards recently I'd say the ZxR is an excellent pick that can be less finnicky than the Phoebus. Of course there is still the TitaniumHD that is to this day a fan-favorite, although many of them have been dying after prolonged use.

There WILL be someone to say why not a receiver and digital, quite simply why ruin the sound from the source using digital? Analog can be looked at similar to vinyl in regards to sound (if you don't understand, go listen to some vinyl), so my personal recommendation is to stick with it. On top of the fact that you will be spending quite more on a quality receiver that takes up space at your pc for no reason when the sound card offers the superior DAC anyway (assuming you don't purchase a high end receiver of course) :/

As far as amp/dac, Schiit offers some great product! I personally moved from a Schiit Asgard and Bifrost to a Matrix M-Stage amp/dac stack to my current WooAudio WA7 Fireflies. All have been excellent, but my favorite so far as been the WA7 paired with the Beyer T90. The WA7 and T90 happen to pair together with excellence. If you want something great for the price, look at the Schiit Vali / Modi stack, amazing for their price tag.

ok so now I feel lost and confused lol. I did however look at the prices of the items ou mentioned. While I can pay it I would rather set the max price pacakage at $1000 TOTAL You seem to know a ton about audio Can you parts list me a 1k max setup used ONLY for gaming.

Thats not really accurate at all o_O Receivers have onboard EQ's most of the time, and they have much higher SPL's. I do all analog recordings and analog always sounds better. Ask Eddie Van Halen or Armin Van Buuren what the difference is. Analog always sounds better than digital, unless you're weird. Analog doesn't mean "low quality", and vinyls also have ridiculous high fidelity. Way higher then CD/DVD. "lossless" audio on Blurays are designed to emulate vinyl records.

I suppose I worded that poorly, analog is what I suggest he use due to the better sound (IMO). What I was getting at is that analog is analog from the source, whereas digital is sampled, etc.

ok so now I feel lost and confused lol. I did however look at the prices of the items ou mentioned. While I can pay it I would rather set the max price pacakage at $1000 TOTAL You seem to know a ton about audio Can you parts list me a 1k max setup used ONLY for gaming.

If it's strictly for gaming, my recommendation would be towards a Creative SoundBlaster Z (or ZxR if you want to go balls to the wall and have the best chips a card can have) and the Senn PC360. The MMX300 is NOT bad, not at all, but it is not worth the $400 price tag when the Senn's are just as good, but offering a more natural sound.

I suppose I worded that poorly, analog is what I suggest he use due to the better sound (IMO). What I was getting at is that analog is analog from the source, whereas digital is compressed, etc.

Oh haha, yeah confusing I guess. People always think vinyls have poor sound quality because they listen to their mothers vinyls from 1932 and of course they don't sound good xD. Modern vinyls have AMAZING sound quality though. Got to listen to Armin's setup once with a vinyl and holy crap :attn:

@op, you want the ultimate gaming and movie experience?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1D916J7902

There you go. Slightly over budget, but that receiver usually sells for 1000$ alone and those headsets are really really nice.

The main reason I don't like soundcards, is you are stuck with what that particular sound card thinks "sounds good" and their volume levels. Sometimes I like to blow my ear drums off, and when I record guitars, I need the extra volume honestly. A soundcard just doesn't have the same "push" as a proper reciever or DAC does. Not to mention, digital EQ's on say "realtek" just absolutely suck butt.

Oh haha, yeah confusing I guess. People always think vinyls have poor sound quality because they listen to their mothers vinyls from 1932 and of course they don't sound good xD. Modern vinyls have AMAZING sound quality though. Got to listen to Armin's setup once with a vinyl and holy crap :attn:

There you go. Slightly over budget, but that receiver usually sells for 1000$ alone and those headsets are really really nice.

The main reason I don't like soundcards, is you are stuck with what that particular sound card thinks "sounds good" and their volume levels. Sometimes I like to blow my ear drums off, and when I record guitars, I need the extra volume honestly. A soundcard just doesn't have the same "push" as a proper reciever or DAC does. Not to mention, digital EQ's on say "realtek" just absolutely suck butt.

I still listen to Jimi Hendrix and several others on vinyl, simply can't get enough of that vinyl sound. Glad to see vinyl is making a comeback as well.

lol, that Beyerdynamic H1 would certainly do the trick.

I still listen to Jimi Hendrix and several others on vinyl, simply can't get enough of that vinyl sound. Glad to see vinyl is making a comeback as well.

lol, that Beyerdynamic H1 would certainly do the trick.

The Beyerdynamic H1 do I still need a sound card? If so what one also does the H1 still have the bundled USB sound card?

So it would be USB Sound Card to AMP to Headphones?

The Beyerdynamic H1 do I still need a sound card? If so what one also does the H1 still have the bundled USB sound card?

So it would be USB Sound Card to AMP to Headphones?

Nope! Your motherboards optical out is all that is required.

The main reason why I think tahts what you want, is if you turn your head, the headphones actually track your movement. So if you turn right, and an enemy sounds like they are to your left, they are actually "in front" of you, so its extremely accurate. Its pretty cool. Too much mumbo jumbo for me, but if youre super serious about gaming on FPS's you may love the integration.

edit: the mmx300's and the H1 are both VERY well reviewed on head-fi. Go check out features and stuff, and see what you think. Don't just take an arbitrary suggestion lol

yup :D

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/headzone-headphone-surround-system.html

"The Headzone HT: this system features a Headtracking function, which allows your “virtual speakers” to remain fixed in their “virtual environment” when you turn your head, in exactly the same way as real speakers."

edit: to be fair this requires an adapter I believe. but its neat as hell imo.

edit 2: yup.... damn that things pricey as hell too xD 300$ for the set! I dunno bout all that...

I wouldn't recommend the usb sound card that comes with it, I haven't used it myself, but I have seen reviews that claim it not to be good. I personally love my MMX300 coupled with my xonar essence stx. That card is a little old, but still good. I got my brother the sennheiser HD558 and the sound blaster z. The HD558 are headphones and do not come with a mic, but the sound blaster z card comes with a mic and it's pretty good. The sound blaster software has come a long way from what I remember it. There is a good array of options and the noise cancelling is pretty good. You can listen to audio through your speakers and the sound card will cancel out the sound going into the mic. The HD558 are really comfortable and is the main reason why I got them for my brother. I'd say that they are a bit more comfortable than the MMX300 out of the box, but mine are broken in and feel about the same now. One thing I like about the sound blaster z, that I wish the xonar had, is the optical in. My brother plays his xbox on his pc monitor and now he can use optical to feed the sound into the pc and use it with his headphones.

Thank you all for the feedback I'll report back once I make my purchases

Use on-board optical. Optical outs in sound cards literally bypass the card itself (so the card serves no purpose if your mobo already had an optical out).

Use on-board optical. Optical outs in sound cards literally bypass the card itself (so the card serves no purpose if your mobo already had an optical out).

Quote thank you sir I'll let everyone know how they are once I get them

Im not gonna lie. If you've never experienced "good" headphones before, I am incredibly excited for you haha. You're gonna love it!

Congrats, I would just make sure to check your equipment as soon as you get it, that seller has 4 good reviews and 4 bad ones.

Congrats, I would just make sure to check your equipment as soon as you get it, that seller has 4 good reviews and 4 bad ones.

mmmmm, NewEgg reviews....

http://www.bbb.org/sanjose/business...lers/sonic-electronix-in-valencia-ca-13198878

I've had the pleasure of dealing with them myself and nothing but great experience (albeit never needed to return anything), and judging from their BBB, they have had 10 complaints in 11 years. That sounds pretty damn good to me.

ok so I got the setup working seems amazing however I don't know what's best

PCM
DTS
Dolby Digital?

Back