• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best mobo for P42.26 with DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ya it doesn't matter.... mr natural has a bios out (the 7e) that supports the new 533mhz processors

DMI+RY I have no clue how you can run PC3000 on your mobo I plan on doing the same thing but I am clueless about how to do this.

Well

Setup is quite straightforward.
Fine tuning take enormous amount of patience and time but to get better than the best "brand named" performance is quite easy.

First of all you better get P4/1.8A or P4/2.0A (both with 512 L2 cache - Nortwood core). The reasons:
First of all, all Northwood chips are running trouble-free on 133MHz system bus (533MHz FSB). So there is no reason to buy those P4/2.26B (marketed as 533FSB) that has 19x multiplier.
The cheaper solutions, such as 1.8A and 2.0A has multipliers 18x and 20x respectively.
So setting up your system bus at standard 133MHz with 1.8A chip will give you 2.4GHz right out of the box.
The mainboard P4S533 makes it extremely easy to do that.
Make sure that you get an appropriae memory.
I would reccomend Corsair PC3000C2 (or PC3200 which is the same) or OCZ or Samsung chips (I prefer Corsair - the best memory out there yet).

For example:
Once you put P4/1.8A into P4S533 with Corsair XMS PC3000C2 512MB memory module and set in BIOS your system bus to 133MHz, for under $1000 (I counted all other peripherals like Case, speakers, monitor, etc.) you've got yourself a system that sold by Gateway and Dell for about $2500.

And 133MHz bus, practically is not considered to be overclocking.

Good Luck
:beer:

Thanks but I am going to be going with the 2.26 because people have been hitting 3.0GHz with air. My system is going to cost the smae as a $2,500 but at least 50 times better. Parts will be posted when they are final in my sig. But heres an example. Dell: Stupid turtlebeach sound card. Mine: Soundblaster Audigy Platnum. As you can see it will blow away any smelly dell.

Edit: How do you set op the memory to run stock for a week to keep the waranty for burn in to see if any parts crap out?

What is the maximum FSB in the bios on your board and what does it increase by at the high FSB speeds? I need to know if I can hit 3GHz with it.

I believe the top FSB on P4S533 is at least 170MHz or more.

The problem with that is that at 155MHz or so you will have 38MHz PCI bus which is already over 15% higher than spec, i.e. depends on your PCI devices (HDD, FDD, Modem, Lan, Sound, etc.) they might hold you back to get anything higher than 38-39MHz hence limiting your FSB to about 155-158MHz. Yet the memory stick, as I told you before, should be able to handle those frequences.

As of my experiments, system is not too hot (with lates Alpha and Panaflo) and VERY quiet (which is the most important aspect for me) running P4/1.8A (18x multiplier) at 149MHz system bus / 37MHz PCI bus. Yet I am using P4S533 onboard LAN, Audigy Platinum Ex* (see notes below), USRobotics PCI modem, Broadway video capture and Leadtek Ti4400. I was able to hit 153MHz FSB with 4:5 memory (i.e. DDR382) but system was not stable.
For now I'm burning in 149MHz bus, which makes 2.68GHz with DR372 and it's looks ok so far.

Also I had to implement P4 Nortwood voltage mod to kick Vcore to 1.85V.

*RE: SB Audigy Platinum Ex - if you planning to use WinXP, make sure you installing it with "Standard PC" HAL, otherwise you won't be able to use Audigy card.

Another note, to hit 3GHz with air on P4/2.26 you need to run on 158MHz bus. For benchamarks without any PCI devices and 4:5 mem ratio it's looks like doable. I doubt that anyone can ran stable at those frequencies, especially with PCI devices installed. Yet, expect 55-60*C or more on full load even with HIGHEST quality air HSF (such as Aplha or Swiftech).

Good luck.

Post results, plz.

Thanks for the tips on the sound card. Are there any chips (P4) that would require less FSB and still have a good chance of 3GHz? If not I will go for the same and go as high as I can. About the memory I am still confused as how to run it when the mobo says it's only supports PC 2700 not PC3000. Any help would be great and thanks for all of the help that you gave me.

Edit: I am going to get the Swiftech (I frogot the name) with the 84cfm vantec tornado. For PCI: Modem, Sound Card, Video Capture Card. Video Card is a Chaintech GForce 4 Ti 4600. Case is a Antec with six bays and 400 watt power supply Mutlple case fans that result in a slightley positive case pressure and a reobus to quiet the fans (always important).

Last edited:
cjreis said:
Thanks for the tips on the sound card. Are there any chips (P4) that would require less FSB and still have a good chance of 3GHz? If not I will go for the same and go as high as I can.

Edit: I am going to get the Swiftech (I frogot the name) with the 84cfm vantec tornado. For PCI: Modem, Sound Card, Video Capture Card. Video Card is a Chaintech GForce 4 Ti 4600. Case is a Antec with six bays and 400 watt power supply Mutlple case fans that result in a slightley positive case pressure and a reobus to quiet the fans (always important).

Well if money is no object you better get H2O (watercooling) and I saw some people hitting 4GHz (not sure how stable and if it's true at all). With air cooling, and Swiftech MCX478 with that Delta fan is the best out there, you can get a nice results.

About the memory I am still confused as how to run it when the mobo says it's only supports PC 2700 not PC3000. Any help would be great and thanks for all of the help that you gave me.

Mobo test specify the following setup:
133MHz system bus and 4/5 CPU/mem ratio that allows gives you "certified" PC2700, i.e. 133*5/4=166.25MHz your memory bus. Since DDR doubles the bus frequency, you have an effective 332.5MHz a.k.a DDR333 that uses standard called PC2700.

Also mobo such as P4S533 gives you options to OC system bus to like 166MHz or so and CPU/Mem maximum ratio of 4/6.
In theory P4S533 should be able to provide 166*6/4*2=498MHz or DDR500 :rolleyes:

the most agressive and stable system I observed were running DDR420 or so.

Re: hitting 3GHz, it is also possible with Swiftech air, but you better go with 2.2A or 2.0A processor (100x22 or 100x20, i.e. 22 or 20 multiplier respectively).
So to hit 3GHz on 2.2A processor your system bus is not overclocked much, i.e 136*22=2992MHz with 136MHz bus is easy (well at least in theory).
The problem with most of the people here that the price difference between 2.2A/2.0A/1.8A/1.6A is about $50/$25/$25 respectively.
And before the the May 26 price drop the difference was almost trippled.
Mening: most of the OC community stocked on 1.6A CPU that provide most bang for a buck, yet limiting your air OC to about 2.2 without extreme OCing. So very few people had a chance here to play with 2.2A CPU but I don't see why it shouldn't go to around 3GHz. The only issue I see is a heat which should be ok with Swiftech.

NOTE Swiftech Delta IS VERY VERY VERY LOUD .
Use rheostat like FanMate to lower the voltage and adjust Fan's noise/airflow to acceptable level.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all of the help. Everything is cleard up. I will be getting the 2.2a now. I will order the parts as soon as my parents transfer my money to their account to use my dad's credit card. I am staying away from water for now but, thats another long story...:eek:

Good luck.

I'd love to know how high you can kick 2.2A with air.
Please post results or send me a pm as soon as you'll get you rig running.

alas i came too late! DMI RY has been not been giving you exactly the truth... the facts are the higher the multiplier the less the overclock.... this is why people with the 2.0a cannot get their systems to run higher than 2.6 ghz (And some not even able to get to 2.6!!!) with a 2.0a you'd be very very very lucky if you can obtain a fsb of 133!!! a 2.2a i doubt will go any higher than a fsb of 123-128!!! it is really really hard to overclock these chips that have a multiplier higher than 18.....

Now for the 2.26b the reason why people are getting it to 3ghz is because DMI was wrong! It has a multiplier of 17 not 19!!! and so this is how 17*133=2261... hence 2.26... DMI didn't even bother to check if his math was correct.... 19*133=2527... and this would be the 2.5b........ okay.... and now we all can tell you a 17 multiplier is not that bad!!! (overclocks waaaaaay better than the 1.8a but just a little less than the 1.6a) THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH!!! the only problem is like DMI said you can't get over 150 fsb..... and to get 3ghz your going to need a 177 some fsb....

Luckley I diden't order the parts yet should I go with the 2.26b or the 2.53b. So the 2.26 would need a high FSB the 2.53b woulden't need that much. Now the question is which one to get?

Thank god I diden't order yet.:) DMI+RY You still helped me alot and I thank you. I will post results when I get it in a new thread.

Darryl_D said:

Now for the 2.26b the reason why people are getting it to 3ghz is because DMI was wrong! It has a multiplier of 17 not 19!!! and so this is how 17*133=2261... hence 2.26...

Yep my mistake, punched the wrong numbers while calculating multipplier.
Sorry
:rolleyes:

Darryl_D

overclocks waaaaaay better than the 1.8a but just a little less than the 1.6a

Hmm that's totally wrong.

Well, I should agree that percentagewise you might get a couple of %% more from 1.6A, but the final product based on 1.8A would outperform all those 1.6A chips by at least 150-200 MHz (assuming the same effort you put on coling/overclocking).

By stats and you can check out all the achievments made those 1.6A early birds you can get:

1.6A to 2.2GHz about 90%
1.6A to 2.2GHz about 60%
1.6A to 2.4GHz about 30%
1.6A over 2.4GHz about 10%

where 1.8A would give you:
1.8A to 2.4GHz about 99%
1.8A to 2.6GHz about 60%
1.8A above 2.6GHz about 20%

And this is NOT extreme OCing. Some mods may be required but no H2O watercooling or those dozen of 12cm 87CFM fans that makes you deaf.

F.Y.I. With Alpha or Swiftech HSF 1.8A with a vid mod (2 min mod) runs safe and stable @ 2.75GHz

So well, which processor 1.6A or 1.8A overclocks better?

BTW 1.8A is about $25 more while giving you solid 200MHz advantage.
:D

You guys don't have to fight each other to the death I just want to know which one would do better a 2.26b or a 2.53b? By better I mean not % but highest MHz. If bolth of you could give me oppionios that would be great.

Me and DMI don't fight.... we just argue ;) However, fact is fact, and the fact is the lower the multiplier the better the overclock... and so with a 19x multioplier the chaces of hitting 3ghz+ is very very good with the 2.53.... but at 600 some dollars i think you might want to reconsider... the 2.26 however is affordable... and you still get a good chacne of hitting 3ghz with it....

with that processor DO NOT get the asus... their boards are meant for stability with an overclock..... what you want is more overclock and less stability.... get an abit BD7II or IT7MAX (with the max your going to need to get a usb keyboard and mouse as it doesn't have the ps2 connections....) mostly everyone that's hit the 3 ghz mark with these chips are using one of these 2 abit boards... I can tell you don't let my previous comment of les stability more overclock fool you... 3 ghz is stable with the 2.26 (only a mere 670mhz overclock.. both the 1.8 and 1.6 northwoods could do this easy so no doubt their 17x counterpart can do it too!!! But make sure you have good cooling...

What would i reccomend? Get the thermalright ax-478 (right now this is the best pentium 4 heatsink) and it's cheaper than both the alpha and the swiftech... if you can handle some noise get what i got... that's the sunon fan (80mm) it moves 50cfm of air and gives a measly 40dba of noise (not bad for a 50cfm fan!) i put in some noise absorbent padding in my case... and i can barely hear the fan spinning! (note mousepads will work also except you have to figure out a way to keep them held in the case and trust me elmer's won't work).... or you could go the quiet way with like a 37 dba fan.... i dunno of any off hand....

Back