• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best mobo for P42.26 with DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One thing that I was reading about the BD7II's, is that they report pretty high temps when running. Now, granted, no one was actually sure if they were getting bogus readings, or if they were really all running hot, but that is one issue to consider.
I decided that I would try the new BG7. It has the PCI/AGP locks as well, and is supposed to have a better memory controller.
Now, a question...When is the optically shrunk 2.26 supposed to come out, and does anyone know how it will be priced? (will it be the same as the current 2.26)

nah the opticals are going to be expensive!!! (expect the 2.26b's for like 350 at first! but prices will drop) ya the bd7ii's are reading temps high... but you could easily solve the problem with buying a better temp sensor...

secondly reguarding the memory controller your right! I'm still unsure about the bg7 although... anyone know how high the fsb will go on the bg7's??? If you can hit 200 then i don't see any problems with it...

df1603 said:
I am acctualy trying to RMA my P4S533 that I have with P4 1.8A and Smasung PC2700 DDR. It is not stable even at stock speeds even though I was able to post on 133/35 with 1.5vcore @2.4. The problem occured after few days when this rig was corrupting my win2k install everytime I tried to boot. Even at stock speeds. Wow. This was too much.
I think I will have Abit IT7 Max. What do you think about that one?

Hmm this is totally weird, may be you've got a bad board but I built 3 systems on P4S33 by now and they are a way more stable and reliable than most of the other P4 boards (All of them had a vid mod 1.7V).
:confused:

Hey guys, I'm sorry for continuing this already touched upon discussion but I still dont understand it a bit... : Ok, I also am going to be getting a 2.26 p4 and am kinda unsure about which motherboard and ram to get. Here comes the repetition though- correct me if im wrong,
-so the deal is asus motherboards will not be able to overclock well to 3ghz b/c the pci slots will increase in frequency as you increase the fsb? abit on the other hand can lock the freq. at 33hz or 66hz? Do any abit mb have raid integrated?

-next, some people are pro ddr, some rdram. however i have yet to hear a person with a 2.26 with rdram hit 3ghz on here. someone was giving out some info on how rdram cannot be overclocked much more or whatnot?! can someone explain this to me again? i know rdram is still a bit pricey and such, but from all my research so far, an rdram with a slower p4 still kicks an oced p4 ddr a$$.

i have a few more questions which I forgot already! will post them in a bit. thanks a lot guys. i really like this post.

also, while i touched upon memory a tad, ive got another question. i kinda dont get rdram...
ok a pc1066 16bit chip must be installed in couples. so lets say you have 2 x 128mb. what i understand is that bandwith is 4.2gb.
now pc1066 32bit can be individually installed. but what i read is that to get 8.4gb of bw you need to install 2(??) of the 32 bit pc1066? am i correct on this? thanks.
heres a chart from toms.

Label Name Effective Clock Rate Data Bus Bandwidth
PC800 RDRAM Dual 400 MHz 2 x 16 Bit 3,2 GB/s
PC1066 RDRAM Dual 533 MHz 2 x 16 Bit 4,2 GB/s
PC1200 RDRAM Dual 600 MHz 2 x 16 Bit 4,8 GB/s
PC800 RDRAM Dual 400 MHz 2 x 32 Bit 6,4 GB/s
PC1066 RDRAM Dual 533 MHz 2 x 32 Bit 8,4 GB/s
PC1200 RDRAM Dual 600 MHz 2 x 32 Bit 9,6 GB/s

thanks

Are there any already volt moded intel chipsets w/ DDR mem, board that has support for PC 3200, and 2.4-5GHZ cpu? doesnt matter if u need bios upgrade to get these specs.

acesea said:

-so the deal is asus motherboards will not be able to overclock well to 3ghz b/c the pci slots will increase in frequency as you increase the fsb? abit on the other hand can lock the freq. at 33hz or 66hz? Do any abit mb have raid integrated?

That is correct. As I know some Abit's (BD7II & TH7II) have locked PCI and AGP freq hence allowing push the system bus without affecting your PCI/AGP devices.

Yet remember that to hit 3GHz with 17x multiplier (17x133 = 2.26GHz) you looking to reach 176+ MHz system bus.
Here couple of issues:
1. Your CPU bus is quadripled in P4, so internal clock of 700+ MHz is as I saw reachable but very few chips were able to make it.
2. To be somewhat stable at that FSB you looking at voltage to be upped to 2.0V or more, which leads you to further two problems:
a. You can fry your chip
b. You need a very serious cooling and even the best air cooling with Swiftech and Delta blowing at 87CFM and providing a noise of a vacuum cleaner would be barely sufficient to keep that setup within acceptable temps.
i.e. if you really wanna go extreme in OCing your rig, get H2O watercooling that will give you nice cooling with acceptable noise for few extra hundreds $$$.

acesea said:
-next, some people are pro ddr, some rdram. however i have yet to hear a person with a 2.26 with rdram hit 3ghz on here. someone was giving out some info on how rdram cannot be overclocked much more or whatnot?! can someone explain this to me again? i know rdram is still a bit pricey and such, but from all my research so far, an rdram with a slower p4 still kicks an oced p4 ddr a$$.

As I heard, RDRAM cannot be OCed even close to DDR capabilities. Yet you will get slightly higher bandwidth with PC1066 RDRAM sticks at double cost and lower OCed speed.
In my rig Corsair PC3000C2 DDR outperforms PC800 by 10-12%.
Else I heard quite a lot of complaints with RDRAM and OCing so I stay away from it (for now).
:beer:

Back