• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best of the best high end power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 4-pin EPS is optional on that motherboard, correct. I am surprised the 2 existing 8-pin EPS connectors are not 4+4 already... or at least one of them.

If you have an additional EPS 8-pin that is 4+4 and the others you mention are not, you can use that, correct.

The two cables in the "EPS" pouch are both 8-pin, but the 8-pin connector snaps right onto the 4-pin. There are some PCIe cables that are 6-pin + 2-pin (can be used on a 6-pin or 8-pin vid card connection). I'm going to try it. I have a 99% confidence index that it'll be fine.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I feel stupid now. I unplugged the 8-pin cable from the 4-pin connector and it looked like the cable plug had split in two. Indeed, both of the 8-pin plugs are 4-pin + 4-pin. There are tiny hooks that snap the plug together if you want to use it as an 8-pin. I learn something new everyday. Pretty clever, Corsair. They probably explain it in the PSU instructions, but what overclocker reads and heeds instructions?

lol... I've let the magic smoke out of a couple components before, but never had a real fire.

Corsair calls those two cables "4 + 4 CPU" cables. Look, I'm reading the PSU manual. ;)

boch boch bock

My RX 580 vid cards each came with an 8-pin to two 6-pin adapter. I used that because I had no extra 8-pin connectors on the old PSU. But, I'm assuming since I have extra 8-pin cables now, I can just use the 8-pin instead of two 6-pins, right?

I got problems. It acts like it's dead. I get nothing out of it, not even a click.

It's possible I knocked a switch wire loose. there was one that was pulled off. While messing with it, I knocked a couple more of those wires loose. Of course, I put all that together when the motherboard was bare and accessible. I'm taking a break before I get too frustrated.

I'm done for the day. The case power switch has been a bit dodgey and I did have a loose case switch wire. But, that's back together now and I still got nothing. I'm going to put my old PSU back in tomorrow . If it works, then this new Corsair must be DOA.

There's a button on the AX1600i that is labeled "self test." I think it's supposed to lit up when pressed. It don't.

Last edited:
I already have the AX1600i back out and sitting on the desk. The manual that was packed with the PSU is worthless. I've been reading hardware reviews.

There is also a self-test button that forces the PSU to start and run a basic operational test

Why was this next review quote not a part of the Corsair manual? That will be my next step.

Note the Self-Test push-button and two LED indicators in the upper left corner. The self-test feature can be activated by pressing the self-test button (power applied to the PSU, main power switch “ON” and no cables attached). The LED on the left should turn green when the PSU completes the self-test (a red LED would signify a fault). The other LED on the right represents USB data communication for Corsair Link. This LED should turn green when communication is first established and then alternate between green and amber to signify normal operation.

I tried to do the self test as per the above quote and a green LED light comes on and the fan comes on for a few seconds. So, the unit appears to be functional.

Last edited:
Good news it wasn't DOA!

Hopefully it is just that switch...next time try jumping the thing and shorting the power contacts on the board before removal though. Saves an arseload of time and effort.

Try shorting the FP headers n the board for power and see if it works.

FP header? Is this the case panel header on the motherboard? On the chance the switch is bad and it has been acting up for the last few months, I just jump the power switch pins momentarily, right?

I hadn't pulled the modular cables out yet, so I changed course and will try putting the AX1600i back in. This time I'll only connect the bare essentials. I was cranky and tired last night and probably not thinking clearly. We'll try fresh this morning now that I know the unit works.

Last edited:
FP = Front Panel. ;)

Yes it is the headers on the mobo for the front panel... which includes power/reset/hdd act light/etc.

Yes, you just make contact with both poles using a conductive part to do so (like a screwdriver). If you had issues with your switch and knew it this would have been the first thing I tried. :)

I built a switch from a AAA flashlight body, a momentary switch, and a two pin mobo header connector. I stick it on the pins and push the red button. I'll have to get a picture of it up. Handy gizmo.

Yes, in hindsight I should have thought, "What would Earthdog do?"

I have the minimum connected and tried plugging in the PSU and pressed the on button. I have a motherboard LED on for the first time. I did notice this time when I connected a modular cable onto the PSU, if I gave a little extra push I could hear a faint click of the connector snapping into place. I don't recall hearing that before. The Corsair manual did stress to firmly seat the connectors. So maybe? Fingers crossed.

Alaric, a little switch like that would come in handy from time to time.

LOL, no need to be a smarty pants... that was just logic. It doesn't take the genius :)rofl:) of Earthdog to bypass a known funky switch. ;)

My paws are crossed for you!

Yes, you're right. Like I said, I was tired and cranky last night.

It booted, so the switch must be working. I turned it off immediately because not everything is connected yet. I never got a light on the motherboard prior to this, I'm sure of it. I must have not connected a modular cable all the way or something. Like I said, I gave an extra push this time and heard each one click into place.

Let this be a lesson to others. I should have remembered the motherboard had a LED light that was always on if connected to power. Oh well, I'll put up with feeling foolish as long as it works.

Last edited:
It's alive. I'm posting this from my desktop computer right now. Ok, let's put all those senior moments behind. All's well that ends well.

First impressions: 1. The AC power cord is twice the size of a regular PSU power cord. It also has a different plug so you can't use a regular wimpy one by mistake. 2. It's quiet. I have yet to see the fan kick on except during the self test. 3. I really like the modular wires. This is only my second PSU with modular wires (the other being a Corsair HX620 that's been in my wife's computer for many years). I'll do some playing around later tonight on my new AX1600i.

Back