• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best thermal compound for Core-IHS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

Hi there,

I am currently weighing delidding my 7820X in order to replace the thermal compound that Intel put there (as they use compound instead of solder on the Skylake-X for whatever reason).

If I were to go through with this (and I'm not sure I will), what would be the best compound to use?

* Conductonaut - 73 W/mK. Some people have reported that it breaks down over time? Should be safe, I'd presume, between the core and the IHS which is nickel-plated copper (I presume).
* Kryonaut - 12.5 W/mK. Obviously far less thermally conductive than Conductonaut. Still likely far better than the stuff Intel put in there.
* Fujipoly XR-m Thermal Pad - 17 W/mK. Better than Kryonaut, surprisingly, but also 0.5mm thick. I suspect that since it stays solid, it would likely insulate the core and would make temperatures worse.
* SnAg Solder - 78 W/mK. I have no idea how you'd solder it without damaging it.
* Indium 100Au - 318 W/mK. Available as a foil, possibly thin enough to use as a TIM? Ridiculously high thermal conductivity.
* Indium Pure Indium - 86 W/mK. I think this is what Intel uses. Not sure how you'd use it without damaging it.

Conductonaut or Kryonaut. Some ppl swear by Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra tho. I haven't delidded my 7700K as I have no reason to. I'm probably one of the lucky few that my chip runs soo cool at my current speed ( Idle=mid 20's /load mid 50's) However the chips I did delid (3570K & 4790K) I just used Noctua NT-H1 under IHS and under the wb with great results.

You might want to look at the 7740X delidding thread. You need to decide whether to use liquid metal or thermal paste. Most here seem to think the TG Conductonaut is the better way to go. I just got a tube of that today. But, do you have the delid tool to fit a socket 2066? I would not attempt delidding a Skylake-X without the tool.

Conductonaut is about the same as any other liquid metal. Probably all of these TIMs are based on gallium and there are barely any differences in temps between them.
Kryonaut will offer about 30-40% worse temp drop after delidding but can be used in higher/lower temps so is better when you think about sub 0 cooling.
For air/water cooling use liquid metal between die/ihs and kryonaut or gelid extreme ( or something similar ) between ihs/cooler.

I don't know what about thermal pads or foils. I wouldn't use anything thicker on die.

All of the liquid metals they're marketing as TIM has mostly gallium (which reacts with other metals). Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut has more indium added to make it "easier" to work with and presumably makes it more conductive?

Mmmm... Never tried conductonaut or kryonaut. But got amazing results with coolaboratory. 15 to 20c drop on 2 3770k and 2 4790k's.

Used only on ambient cooling though...

Mmmm... Never tried conductonaut or kryonaut. But got amazing results with coolaboratory. 15 to 20c drop on 2 3770k and 2 4790k's.

Used only on ambient cooling though...

Back