• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best TV tuner for PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gozma

I have my computer in my dorm... and to save room for a tv i want a TV tuner card. Whats would u reccomend as the best for the money? and is there anything i need to know or make sure of before i get one?

ATI TV Wonder, (which I perfer simply because of its ability to make your desktop a TV Station, and can make program window's transparent, so you can type a Word document and watch TV at the same time), or Leadtek WinTV 2000 XP

If you decide on the ATI Tv wonder card then make sure you download the Beta MMC 7.6 drivers.

The drivers that come with the card are screwy when it comes to picture sync in Windows XP.

There is one thing that is very important when it comes to TV tuners; make sure you dont buy a USB TV tuner. You can get a PCI or IEEE 1394 Firewire but USB just doesnt have enough bandwidth to get a high resolution picture.

two words that will take you far and get you through the rest of your life:

Hauppauge WINTV

stick by the PCI version and you'll be glad you did. I got one my freshman year (4 years ago), it still works and saved TONS of room room....

good luck with school!

Doesn't the WinTV have something along the lines of "Video Desktop", that does the same thing as the ATI does, (described in first post)?

i never used hauppage, i hear great things about it though.

i have used the ATi TV wonder, and my current Leadtek Winfast TV2000XP.

the 2000XP is way, way better than the ATi one. the ati one's IQ is nowhere near the leadtek, and the leadtek can record to mp3 and DivX.

just FYI

Malakai said:
the 2000XP is way, way better than the ATi one. the ati one's IQ is nowhere near the leadtek, and the leadtek can record to mp3 and DivX.

Are you talking about the PCI TV Wonder or the TV wonder USB?

any USB TV tuner device's resolution will be limited to something relativly low (320x240 or so) or it will drop a lot of frames since the USB bus isnt fast enough (1.5Mb/sec or less). The PCI version should be as good as anything else although all I have used is my AIW 8500 and it has really good image quality.

DaddyB said:

Are you talking about the PCI TV Wonder or the TV wonder USB?

any USB TV tuner device's resolution will be limited to something relativly low (320x240 or so) or it will drop a lot of frames since the USB bus isnt fast enough (1.5Mb/sec or less). The PCI version should be as good as anything else although all I have used is my AIW 8500 and it has really good image quality.

i had the PCI ATi TV wonder, at sucked. nothing like the leadtek.

IMO, for 60$, u cant beat this

i have ati tv wonder VE and the tv thingy sucks for XP. cant get it to work. crashes on me. basically win9x yes winxp no, get a hauppauge better. my card does a awesome job capturing in game footage and what not but when it comes down to the tv. the software that ati coded is bad.

Back