• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to overclock my 850 Athlon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pjs

I'm relatively new to overclocking so im just after some advise. I have an kt7-raid mobo with an 850mhz unlocked athlon bought from overlcockers.co.uk gaurenteed to run at 1Ghz. I can run it at 10*100mhz ok but at 133*7.5mhz it refuses to boot. Anyone any ideas?

Also if anyone can give me any info on overclocking better than this...i.e what voltages i should use, if I could overclock further using a different fsb speed etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Drop your multipler back to the stock 8.5 and see how far you can push your fsb up using your setup. Then you will pretty much know how far you can push both. My suggestion is then to drop the multiplier down one notch (in your case to 9.5) and see how far you can push your fsb up then. From my experience that will be all you squeeze out of that chip without further modifications.

Sorry...should have said I have the KT7a. That supports 133 right.

Yes the KT7A/E both support fsb of 133. But now you have another problem. AMD never made an 850 TBird of the 133 fsb variety. So you are still trying to push a 100mhz piece of equipment to 33% above spec'd speed.
The only way I know to test and see if 133 is a possiblity is to pull all your cards and drives out and see if you can get it to at least post at this speed ... if not you are fighting a losing battle (at least without doing some serious modifications).

Hmm, should work. All the same speed as far as the cpu is concerned. Odd times you need to resort to connecting the L7 bridges to force default boot at 1.85v. Yr memory is rated 133, right?

iwill kk266r
amd 850 at 1008 (155x6.5)
256 mb crucial (set 155 cas 3, 4 way on)
2 x 20g maxtor ata100, raid 0
4.8x dvd/zip 100
on board cmedia sound
hollywood+

Yep, Memory is 133. Going to try a few things mentioned above. Let you know if I have any luck.

Back