• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

better P4 HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

Is there a better P4 478 HSF than the stock one that somes with the P4 2.53? The AX478 seems to be out after some disturbing accidents, fear of etting one of the defective ones and all.

First check the HS reviews on the front page......
Second get the Coolermaster hhc001 for P4- there great!

Intrepid6546 said:
Is there a better P4 478 HSF than the stock one that somes with the P4 2.53? The AX478 seems to be out after some disturbing accidents, fear of etting one of the defective ones and all.

Apart from the horrendous results reported by two forum members (using the same physical unit), most of the AX478 reviews have been positive. I haven't seen many postings on this forum, but there appear to be at least two other members who have no complaints and recommend the AX478.

I have one coming, and I only hope that the thing stays together. I've been researching the AX7, and have yet to find one that fell apart. Same construction is used on both the 7 and 478.

well, i have seen the accidents and they don't look too good.
i'd play it safe and go with either an MCX-400 or pal 8942.

Starfoxer said:
well, i have seen the accidents and they don't look too good.
i'd play it safe and go with either an MCX-400 or pal 8942.

Starfoxer, you have been following this longer than I have. How many failures have you heard about and do you have an idea of when these sinks were purchased?

Update... I dug back in this forum and quite a few people have bought this heatsink, all with good results. I do agree with your statement though, I'd go with the MCX or the PAL simply because there have been no incidents with those coolers. Until more positive posts have been made about the 478, it is a risk.

Last edited:
I put a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ on my 1.6A. At 2.13ghz with the stock h/f my full load temp was around 47 degrees celcuis. With the Volcano 7+ I am running the at 2.4ghz and my full load temp is 43 degrees. And the fan is on the "low" setting.

I have also seen reviews that rate the Volcano 7+ one of the best coolers when the fan is set to "medium" or "high".

Ride

Well I have a knob on my case just for adjusting fan speeds, and seeing as how the P4 can survive on NO HSF I think I'll turn it down when I'm not there or sleepnig or just playing mp3s. gotta love speed step. :) How does this Volcano 7+ stand up to the IHC-H71 both on full fanage?

Back