• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF2- Ping is real high.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Directly to the modem is the last simple thing I would suggest too.

Well when I connect straight from the modem my ping is right where it should be, at 20~25. What else could be wrong though, I went years with the same setup without a single issue. I went and bought another router thinking my old one **** the bed but I get the same exact results with the new router. Nothing in my network has changed so I can't figure out what has gone wrong here.

You said that initially the new router was working fine, but later it stopped working. Have you tried going direct modem to PC for an extended period of time to make sure it's not just a fluke that it works when you don't have the router connected?

You said that initially the new router was working fine, but later it stopped working. Have you tried going direct modem to PC for an extended period of time to make sure it's not just a fluke that it works when you don't have the router connected?

Not really, just about 10 minutes or so. But I'll try that in the morning, just seems strange that as soon as I log on and start playing I'm lagging all over the place! After I plugged back into the router tonight it was better for a few minutes but then lagged back into about a 225 ping. Going to bed right now, been up since 4AM.

maybe your modem itself is going bad? I know it sounds odd, but if you think about it, handling a direct connection is easier than handling a connection being forwarded by a router.

the modem shouldnt be able to tell the difference between a router or computer, is all the same to the modem?

have you update the firmware on your router?

maybe your modem itself is going bad? I know it sounds odd, but if you think about it, handling a direct connection is easier than handling a connection being forwarded by a router.
I'm beginning to think this might be a possibility.

the modem shouldnt be able to tell the difference between a router or computer, is all the same to the modem?

have you update the firmware on your router?

I haven't looked into the firmware yet, I've only had this router for a week or two but I'll look into that tonight. I'll be outside all day pressure washing the house, painting in a couple weeks! :bang head

Consider flashing your router with dd-wrt ?

Well, I had my som play BF2 for about an hour today while connected directly to the modem while I was slaving away outside today and he said the ping never went over 22 and he didn't experience any lag at all. So the modem is fine, my next question is what firmware would you recommend for my WRT54GX? And how exactly will flashing it help my lag problem?

This is pretty strange problem. Since nothing else seems to be working, it might not be a bad idea to flash your router with some new firmware, just to see if it makes a difference. I use DD-WRT and I love it, I've also heard good things about Tomato.

Also, play some BF2 tonight (during peak hours) connected directly to the modem just to make absolutely sure that it isn't an ISP issue. When I had cable internet my pings would jump up to 250-300 sometimes during the evening hours, but would be fine during the day and off hours.

flashing the firmware to a newer verison could fix any problems
even flashing again to the same version could fix things

dd-wrt basically turns your $40 router into as $500 router, dd-wrt adds alot more functionality over the stock linksys firmware.

This is pretty strange problem. Since nothing else seems to be working, it might not be a bad idea to flash your router with some new firmware, just to see if it makes a difference. I use DD-WRT and I love it, I've also heard good things about Tomato.

Also, play some BF2 tonight (during peak hours) connected directly to the modem just to make absolutely sure that it isn't an ISP issue. When I had cable internet my pings would jump up to 250-300 sometimes during the evening hours, but would be fine during the day and off hours.
I actually did the opposite, I plugged back into the router this afternoon and the lag and high ping returned. But I will going throught he modem tonight around 8 or 9 pm.

flashing the firmware to a newer verison could fix any problems
even flashing again to the same version could fix things

dd-wrt basically turns your $40 router into as $500 router, dd-wrt adds alot more functionality over the stock linksys firmware.
Cool, thanks. What version should I be downloading? I'm looking HERE

Last edited:
Tomato is better than DDWRT in my opinion...if its available for your router. Its the whole reason the WRT54GL is so popular.

Tomato is better than DDWRT in my opinion...if its available for your router. Its the whole reason the WRT54GL is so popular.

I'll look into that as well, I did a quick check and it doesn't look like the WRT54GX is in the list of compatible routers.

try it out, worse that happens if the pings dont improve, and then consider a new router (i loved my WRT54G, g/f has it now and i now love my Dlink DIR-655)

The DLink Gamerlounge series is popular, but costs more. If you do buy something, unpack it neatly, so if it doesnt make a difference....you can hopefully return it easily.

try it out, worse that happens if the pings dont improve, and then consider a new router (i loved my WRT54G, g/f has it now and i now love my Dlink DIR-655)
I have a 4 day weekend so I'm hoping to have some time to try it out.

The DLink Gamerlounge series is popular, but costs more. If you do buy something, unpack it neatly, so if it doesnt make a difference....you can hopefully return it easily.

I'll take a look at that router, thanks for the suggestions. :beer: I don't mind paying a little more for less headaches.

Ok, just flashed the firmware on my WRT54G with Tomato so I'll see how it goes tonight. I always game on Friday nights as do my two sons so this will be a good test.

Well, just logged onto BF2 before I go out for supper and my ping is back up to 225! Connected my other router and pings are still high. I think I has an ISP problem here, had this problem e few years ago and it took a complaint to the BBB and 6 months before it was resolved! Got to love Charter....

Back