• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Adv Program Ends January 31

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
For those that may not be up on all things Big Adv ;)

From last year: Revised plans for BigAdv (BA) experiment

Today:

Big Adv Program Ends January 31
January 31, 2015 by Vijay Pande ·

As we have previously announced, the bigadv (BA) program will reach end-of-life on January 31, 2015. We would like to thank all the donors who have contributed to the program. Throughout the history of Folding@home, donor participation has enabled us to tackle hard problems and engage in bold experiments. The BA program is an example of both of these––the projects in BA are one that simply could not have been addressed otherwise. We are still analyzing the results of these projects, but the preliminary data already yields some exciting results that we are comparing to experiments.

Although the BA program is ending, we recognize that the many-core systems previously used to run BA may not perform optimally on all work units in the Folding@home ecosystem (although they will do quite well on most). In an ideal world, we would have each project performance-benchmarked on a wide variety of systems and a dynamic allocation scheme that matches clients to projects that perform well on their hardware while ensuring a distribution of client capability across Folding@home scientific priorities. However, this sort of matching is more technically involved (and places larger demands on the assignment server) than we are able to offer at this time. At BA end-of-life, in order to make sure that these many-core get WUs best suited for them, clients continuing to use the BA flags will be directed to large work units, although these will carry the normal Folding@Home points scheme rather than a BA scheme. We are planning to expand the diversity of these work units to include a variety of “large” simulation problems, but at this point we are not making statements as to the anticipated longevity of this scheme.

Thank you once again for contributing to Folding@home, whether the BA program or any of our other initiatives. All our past and future scientific achievements are due to your participation and generosity.

KF.gif

Going to miss bigadv.

Currently about 90% of an 8101. Last 8103/8104 was almost a month ago.

Be interesting to see if I get one before the end of the day.

Going to miss bigadv.

Currently about 90% of an 8101. Last 8103/8104 was almost a month ago.

Be interesting to see if I get one before the end of the day.

Nope, that was my last -bigadv WU. On an 85xx and it is about 2 1/2 minutes per frame.

I had heard of this, around May-June time frame, last year. I sold off my 2 x 4p 8439's and a 2p 6276. I used the money to reinvest into the GPU side, a R9 280x OCed will get 150K ppd. The only down side is that they make more heat into your room:(

I had a feeling A5's was not going away :) but even if they did end, I would keep going with what ever Stanford sent my way.

Seems the A5 are not going away. There are new 8106 and 8108 WUs.
Not calling them bigadv but you still use the bigadv flag to get them........ Just calling them "large" WUs....
The K factor is down from 50 to 39 also and there is 4 days to do them with QRB

4P 8439 24 core is doing 221k PPD

Seems the A5 are not going away. There are new 8106 and 8108 WUs.
Not calling them bigadv but you still use the bigadv flag to get them........ Just calling them "large" WUs....
The K factor is down from 50 to 39 also and there is 4 days to do them with QRB

4P 8439 24 core is doing 221k PPD

I'd say that you have a nice electric bill. :mad:

I'm using a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 and UD7 with FX-8320 rocking R9 280x :

Sapphire Dual X OC 1050/1500 @ 1100/1500
Sapphire Vapor X OC 1070/1550 @ 1135/1600
Sapphire Toxic X OC 1150/1600 @ 1165/1700
Asus DC2T 1070/1600 @ 1165/1700
Asus DC2T 1070/1600 @ 1165/1700
XFX Black DD 1080/1550 @ 1165/1700
His IceQ2 Boost 1000/1500 @ 1165/1600

When all are working correctly 1M ppd :cool:

When you have Leukemia:rain: Even a little bit, helps fight the depression and hopelessness.:cry:

Nice production there madmutt.
I am sorry to hear of your illness, hang in there the best you can.
Keeping up on my systems and donating to folding and BOINC keeps my mind off of things, it helps.
I just really hope it will make a difference all this time, money and effort into these projects.

I have to update my sig.
I added an Asus RampageIII Gene with a x5660 hexcore @ 4ghz and GTX660Ti SLI, 6gb ram
And EVGA FTW3 x5660 hexcore @ 4ghz Evga GTX-970 and 6gb ram EVGA 650 gold PSU
Still have the Gigabyte P35 Q6600 6gb ram,, for when I need just a few more cores.

Going to swap some stuff around, make the EVGA FTW3 a 3 way SLI GTX 660Ti with 850W PSU
Pick up another GTX 970 for 2 way SLI on the Asus RampageIII

Back