• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bits laying around !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2001
Location
wolverhampton, england
How dangerous is it, to take all your components out n set em up on a table ? like in those invisible links ! Obv it needs to be on a none conductive surface, but what else needs to be thought about ?
 

Maximouse

Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2002
Location
Toronto, Canada
DRaZZ said:
How dangerous is it, to take all your components out n set em up on a table ? like in those invisible links ! Obv it needs to be on a none conductive surface, but what else needs to be thought about ?

Take precautions when handling it. (Static)
Lock the cat in another room:)

You should be ok after that.
 
OP
DRaZZ

DRaZZ

Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2001
Location
wolverhampton, england
Hehe so there is no real problems with it ? i just wanna run some tests, im hoping that outside the case it will be a little cooler so i can push some more mhz !
 

Maximouse

Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2002
Location
Toronto, Canada
DRaZZ said:
Hehe so there is no real problems with it ? i just wanna run some tests, im hoping that outside the case it will be a little cooler so i can push some more mhz !

No problems at all, I do it alot when I am testing components.
In fact, most of the computer stores I frequent have caseless setups so they can test the parts their customers try to return cause they dont work:)

Al
 
OP
DRaZZ

DRaZZ

Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2001
Location
wolverhampton, england
So do temps drop quite a bit then mate ? im also thinkin of pointin a huge desktop fan at the lot :) wanna drop temps by atleast 10 - 15 degrees C.
 

Maximouse

Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2002
Location
Toronto, Canada
DRaZZ said:
So do temps drop quite a bit then mate ? im also thinkin of pointin a huge desktop fan at the lot :) wanna drop temps by atleast 10 - 15 degrees C.

I never worried too much about temps when doing it.

If that is what you are mainly doing it for then you could always run it in a case with the side off and the fan blowing in. You would probably get the same results.

Al
 

thef0x82

Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2002
Location
Nebraska
DRaZZ said:
So do temps drop quite a bit then mate ? im also thinkin of pointin a huge desktop fan at the lot :) wanna drop temps by atleast 10 - 15 degrees C.

I leave the sides of my case off and have a 15 inch house fan blowing on my computer. I only leave the fan on low speed (not as loud) and it drops my temps about 5c. My mom says it's a safety hazard, but I haven't heard her reasons for that yet. Personally I don't think it's a problem, the fan is in a safety cage, and isn't heating up from constant use, so what else could be bad?
 

cerberus

Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2002
Location
Clemson, SC
i had my components sitting on my carpet for about 2 weeks while i was waiting for my case... *yes i know it was moronic... but im lazy*
 

bluedude2288

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2002
Its okay to do that, i used my pc out of the case for over a week when i was painting my case, and now i leave the sides all the time because they are so hard to put on, those crappy $50 cases!