• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue Screen Of Death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teken

Registered
This afternoon I down loaded and ran the CPU testing program "Toast" on my new system. The program ran (3) seperate times, and aprox 12-14 minutes later system locked up and the famous "Blue Screen Of Death" was before my tearing eyes... :(

The following are the technical specifications to my new computer system... I would greatly appreciate any positive feed-back about this program (Toast) and what I may do to avoid such a system failure...

1. Antec 1040B server case with Antec 450 watt PSU.
2. P4 2.0 Northwood L2 512 cache
3. Asus P4T-E MOBO Bios 1005
4. Plextor 24x10x40 CDRW
5. Iomega 250 Zip drive
6. Panasonic 3.5" FD
7. Audigy Platinum sound card
8. ATI 8500DV 64 MB video card
9. Maxtor 80 gig 7200 RPM ATA-133 HD x 2
10. 2x256 = 512 RDRAM w/ECC
11. Sony G410 19" 1440 x 1800 @85 hz flat monitor
12. Windows 2000 Pro with (all) service packs & updates.

I am using the following programs for monitoring & tweaking for various bench marking routines. MBM monitor, Analog Max Memory 1.02, Toast CPU tester, PC Mark 2002, 3D Mark 2001.

I have obtained very consistent PC Mark 2002 ratings of:

CPU: 5417
Mem: 5890
HDD:835

For the 3D Mark 2001, the ratings again have been very consistent in the returned bench markings: 7265 avg.

In closing, when I am running the Toast program there are no other programs running. The system is equipped with 2 80 mm intake fans, 2 80 exhaust fans, the OEM Intel HSF fan and HS, and the OEM ATI HSF for the video card.

Any insights would be appreciated...

Regards

Teken

it would be very helpful if you included your temps, and at what speed/FSB you are running your cpu...open up MBM while you are running Toast, so you can keep a record of your system while it is getting stressed. Then, if it fails again, you will have some kind of starting point for diagnosis...

Ooooops forgot the temps...

Sorry I forgot the obvious things to include such as the info stated above...

The toast program was run both in OEM standard configuration at 2.0 Ghz with RDRAM Turbo, 4X memory, 100 FSB, 1.50 V core...

When the system is re-configured to O/C it is at 2.20 Ghz, RDRAM Turbo, 4X memory, 110 FSB, 1.52 V core...

MB temp is at 21'C, CPU at idel is 42' C, room temp is 20'C

When the system is under 100 CPU load during the "Toast" test the following temps are present.

MB 21'C, CPU 45'C, Room temp is constant 20'C

Is this Toast program that intensive that it will freeze up the the system??? Anyone else expereince such a failure???

Regards

Teken

P.S.

I have just routed a air duct going from my intake fan to the CPU HSF... I will re-run this program to see the results, or the lack of... :(

Last edited:
that is interesting because my first thing to say would be its overheating but your full load temps arent even that high, try adding some AS3 on the chip maybe that will cool it down, the only reason i could think your getting the BSOD's are overheating but it doesnt appear that way, try a benchmarking program called CPUBurn it stesses your sytem more than any other program for full load temps, if it crashes again then we know its a heating problem, the only other thing i could think of is that another hardware component is failing like your memory or a pci device under such stress. If you can afford it replace the stock intel hsf is something you should do regardless. Good luck and i wish i could help more

dude your 3dmarks seem low.....i have the sys in my sig and i get 9200 3dmakrs not o/c'd video and 9700 3dmarks @ 300/600ddr. My dad has a same sys like me but hes got a northwood 2.0 o/c'd to 2.3 on soyo board and he gets like 9200 3dmarks @ 2.3ghz and like 9000 at normal speed. My 3dmakrs jumped about 1000 for me and 800 for him after downloading and installing latest drivers so you prob want to do that i have the 6037 driver released march 20.

As far as your BSoD problem, when putting stress on your stuff it can always gp unstablem or you may have done something afterwards to make it unstable. Just watch your temps and maybe reboot after doing toast? If you have continouos lockups however you may want to try to isolate the component thats causing them and getit fixed/replaced. Also with the 8500DV card teh latest drivers should help you some on stability. If you getting it only when o;/c'd you might wanna increase voltage a notch.

DXIW: Thanks for the heads up on the latest ATI drivers... I downloaded the most recent driver, and re-ran the 3D Mark 2001 program and it jumped up a few more notches in the final scores.

Before it was aprox 7200 plus... Now it's 7565 !!! I know your set up and bench marks are alot higher due to a more powerfull processor on the standard Radeon cards. The 8500DV was not given the same speed chip as the others, which reflects on my 3D marks... :(

I ran the alternate CPU benchmarking utility program called "Stability Test SFX" for almost 4 hours... The temps were as follows, with no lock up, or the famous blue screen of death...

MTB: 20'C
CPU: 41'C
Room:20'C <---- At idel

MTB: 21'C
CPU: 48'C
Room: 21'C <---- At full load for aprox 4.25 hours... :)

Would it be fair to say that the "Toast CPU" program is that much more intensive than the rest??? I am going to re-run the "Toast" program now and see if the BSOD is prevalent this time around...

Many thanks to both contributors for thier feed-back...

Regards

Teken
:D

Update...

This is just an update to the BSOD... After routing a cold air duct to the OEM HSF the "Toast" program ran for aprox 2 hours with no signs of faultering, or O/S freeze-up...

The temps during the burn in testing was: 21'C MTB, 45'C CPU, and a room ambient temperature of 21'C...

The system was configured for 2.20 Ghz with a FSB of 110 volts, with RDRAM Turbo engaged, and the RDRAM memory multiplier set to 4X...

What really gets me is the fact that the temps for the "Toast" CPU load program was less (45'C), than when I was running the "Stability Test SFX" test which kept the CPU load temps at a constant 48'C... WTF with that???

Insights / feed-back is appreciated in this matter...

Regards

Teken

45 C is pretty high for an Intel chippie, my old cele 566 @ 1046 would crash if it got any higher than 46... then again that was on standard hsf...

Hrmmmmmmm now you got me wondering... Like I said earlier though, these temps were reflective of (only) during the burn in testing and not what the system normally operates in... Currently the system runs at:

MBT: 21'C
CPU: 41-43'C while doing normal stuff.
Room Temp: 21'C

Tonight I ordered a Slotho PCI exhaust fan from www.1coolpc.com and two 80 mm filter grills fro my Antec 1040B server case, for $17.61 USD shipped. The stated reduction in ambient temperatures is aprox. 5-15 'F with this device...

I'll let you all know how things turn out in terms of (reduced) temps once I install and stress tests this unit again with the said device installed...

Regards

Teken<---Who really hopes to see a nice drop in core temps...

Back