• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Both my HD's (IBM 60GXP's) Died last night!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

That's right. My 60 gig failed a few week's ago. But I was able to rewrite the drive and all was well.
Yesterday morning I was in Linux screwing around. I then rebooted to get into window's. I noticed the time was way off? So I fixed it. Went to work. Got home later and got on the PC. Was trying something and it was acting weird so I restarted the PC. Well that was the last I saw of window's! Both drive died on bootup.
Iv'e run DFT (Drive Fitness Test) on both drive's and got corupted sector's error's. Tried repairing them and the system lock's up. Tried rewriting both drive's and does'nt work.

Now I've got NO drive's for my main rig. I cannot believe both drive's failed at the exact same time.
I'm trying to RMA both drive's. But I'm not sure if I can without the receipt's for them. I cant seem to find them. I emailed them asking if they'll except them but I doubt they will.

That suck's if they wont. One was a 40 gig drive and the other was a 60 gig. I've got no money to replace them right now either.

Well enough crying from me. I just thought I'd add to the casualty list that seem's to keep growing for the IBM 60GXP drives.

bdf24 said:
That's right. My 60 gig failed a few week's ago. But I was able to rewrite the drive and all was well.
Yesterday morning I was in Linux screwing around. I then rebooted to get into window's. I noticed the time was way off? So I fixed it. Went to work. Got home later and got on the PC. Was trying something and it was acting weird so I restarted the PC. Well that was the last I saw of window's! Both drive died on bootup.
Iv'e run DFT (Drive Fitness Test) on both drive's and got corupted sector's error's. Tried repairing them and the system lock's up. Tried rewriting both drive's and does'nt work.

Now I've got NO drive's for my main rig. I cannot believe both drive's failed at the exact same time.
I'm trying to RMA both drive's. But I'm not sure if I can without the receipt's for them. I cant seem to find them. I emailed them asking if they'll except them but I doubt they will.

That suck's if they wont. One was a 40 gig drive and the other was a 60 gig. I've got no money to replace them right now either.

Well enough crying from me. I just thought I'd add to the casualty list that seem's to keep growing for the IBM 60GXP drives.

You can still RMA through IBM

But did you need the receipt's when you rma'd the drive. Cause I don't have mine anymore. I'm still gonna try and hope they except it.

i RMA'd both my IBM's through their website, didn't need a receipt, just the serial number and part number (can be found on the drives)

on a bad note, only ONE of the drives they sent me back works, i still have to call and yell at them........ very disappointed. Going on 2 months now to get back both my working drives :mad: :mad:

bdf,

I would verify three things :

1) Your CMOS battery, and
2) Your memory
3) Reseat all connectors (specially those to/from IDE drives and power connectors.

Because it is very unlikely for the two drives to fail at once. Other option would be to run DFT (in another machine and full srface scan) to see if the drives are really ill or it is other thing.

Regards
FTC

You will not need a receipt for the IBM RMA process, like the others said. There is a check though: your serial and part number reveal to them whether your drive is under warranty (bare drive = no dice, old drive same story) or not. But these numbers are all you need.

I just received my own RMA replacement drive... I had a 60GXP 40Gb fail on me too a couple of weeks back (posted about it here too). IBM sent me a refurb 120GXP back. The newer model sooths the pain a bit, but I haven't installed it yet so I can't say for sure it works.

FIZZ3 said:
You will not need a receipt for the IBM RMA process, like the others said. There is a check though: your serial and part number reveal to them whether your drive is under warranty (bare drive = no dice, old drive same story) or not. But these numbers are all you need.

I just received my own RMA replacement drive... I had a 60GXP 40Gb fail on me too a couple of weeks back (posted about it here too). IBM sent me a refurb 120GXP back. The newer model sooths the pain a bit, but I haven't installed it yet so I can't say for sure it works.

man, you're the second person i've heard say they sent 120's to when you RMA'd a 60. How come I can't be that lucky.

instead they send me one working and one non-working drive!

Albigger said:

man, you're the second person i've heard say they sent 120's to when you RMA'd a 60. How come I can't be that lucky.

instead they send me one working and one non-working drive!

I had not expected it myself. I live in Europe and I used to be under the impression that product support is generally mediocre here... From this transaction that seems not to be the case (anymore).

It's a matter of stock as far as RMA models are concerned. Maybe a factor was that I sent my dead drive back only very recently.

FTC said:
bdf,

I would verify three things :

1) Your CMOS battery, and
2) Your memory
3) Reseat all connectors (specially those to/from IDE drives and power connectors.

Because it is very unlikely for the two drives to fail at once. Other option would be to run DFT (in another machine and full srface scan) to see if the drives are really ill or it is other thing.

Regards
FTC
I did run it in another PC with no luck. I also am on my main rig now with an old 8 gig drive my dad had. And it work's perfect. So that tell's me the drive's are junk. I did try switching cable's, IDE's, etc... everything I could think of HOPING the drive's were not dead. But they are.

I have read of many people getting 120 GXP's in return for hte 60 GXP drive's. I just hope I'll be one of them.

FTC said:

Because it is very unlikely for the two drives to fail at once.

(sh)it happens. I have a friend who lost several drives to a power surge and/or PS failure, and I've heard of other people losing multiple drives at one time, such as several who have lost data in a RAID. :bang head

SHODAN said:

(sh)it happens. I have a friend who lost several drives to a power surge and/or PS failure, and I've heard of other people losing multiple drives at one time, such as several who have lost data in a RAID. :bang head
Ok well I may have had a little bit to do with it :D That morning before work I was pluging an Svideo cable into the back. When I moved the PC one of my fan's in the front starting making a LOUD annoying rattling noise. I did smack the PC a few time's to try and get it to be quite, I was a little crabby that morning:mad:

But the PC was working all day after that when I went to work. Although even before I slapped it it was acting a little weird. The time kept changing in window's after every bootup. Really weird.

All in all the few (fairly hard) blow's the PC took that morning may have caused the drive's to fail. Although I've done stuff like that in the past and it's never wrecked any drive's before.

bdf24 said:
All in all the few (fairly hard) blow's the PC took that morning may have caused the drive's to fail. Although I've done stuff like that in the past and it's never wrecked any drive's before.

From what I'm told and understand, the effect of impact on a HDD is hard to predict. As you'll note in manufacturer specifications, the impact and vibration tolerated during operation are a lot lower than when powered down. When the platters are spinning, if you rotate the drive off axis you'll torque the spindle due to gyroscopic progression, and that can damage the drive in several ways, such as causing a head crash or bearing wear or destruction. I recall hearing of people damaging a drive by pulling it from a hot-swap bay before it spins down, probably by the mechanism I just described; simply disconnecting the power doesn't have the same result. I also recall reading of a guy dropping a HDD down a flight of stairs with no damage. :eh?:

You lot who managed to RMA your broken hard drives are lucky i had a 80GB WD which crapped out on me so i went to the WD homepage and typed in my srial num expecting to see a warrany, no what do i get

Warranty: n/a

Oh and guess what i bought the hard drive down at a computer fair the guy i got it off had his own shop it was on the reciept all legit, i phoned the number the company is not in buisness anymore aaggh that was a wate of £100

Back