• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bottlenecked OCd 1090T with 290x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree with you entirely. After looking at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,3407-3.html

The intel chips kills the 8350 on the physics side. Im 99% sure this is where my issues come from, poor physics performance with the 1090T. There are some games that appear to be closer, which im assuming they are more gpu bound. If you look at the benchmark for F1 2012 the 3770 kills it, and also considering I have a 1090T that seems to perform slightly less than the 8350 while gaming (Most 3dmark scores seem to support this) I think moving it intel might be the better move.

So your saying you dont regret switching to intel this time around?
Here is a couple of my Hwbot submissions
3d Mark Vantage Fx 8350 GTX
3d Mark Vantage I7 4770k GTX 580
Now the test on the 4770k the 580 was overclocked slightly higher but you get the idea. Though I have found with my gaming, with the understanding that I don't play any heavily Cpu dependent games, the difference in FPS between the two Cpu's is negligible at best. That is also playing at 1080p.

Additionally, to give you an idea of the power draw from these Fx 8xxx series chips, when benching 3D Mark 11 in the combined test I was drawing 710w from the wall with the 8350 at 5200+ and the 580 at 980/1120.

Here is a couple of my Hwbot submissions
3d Mark Vantage Fx 8350 GTX
3d Mark Vantage I7 4770k GTX 580
Now the test on the 4770k the 580 was overclocked slightly higher but you get the idea. Though I have found with my gaming, with the understanding that I don't play any heavily Cpu dependent games, the difference in FPS between the two Cpu's is negligible at best. That is also playing at 1080p.

Additionally, to give you an idea of the power draw from these Fx 8xxx series chips, when benching 3D Mark 11 in the combined test I was drawing 710w from the wall with the 8350 at 5200+ and the 580 at 980/1120.

So your saying theres not a large visible difference between the 8350 and the 4770k? The only thing Id be curious about is what happens when you have a stronger video card, and would you see a larger difference with something like a 290x or even a 780ti.

The fastest the GPU, the wider the gap.

One overclocked 780 Ti roughly equals two gtx 580.

The fastest the GPU, the wider the gap.

One overclocked 780 Ti roughly equals two gtx 580.

Alright so if you were in my spot would you spend 500-600 bucks to switch to intel, spend 200 to upgrade to the 8350, or wait a few months and see what happens with the new boards?

I agree with you entirely. After looking at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-core-i7-3770k-gaming-bottleneck,3407-3.html

The intel chips kills the 8350 on the physics side. Im 99% sure this is where my issues come from, poor physics performance with the 1090T. There are some games that appear to be closer, which im assuming they are more gpu bound. If you look at the benchmark for F1 2012 the 3770 kills it, and also considering I have a 1090T that seems to perform slightly less than the 8350 while gaming (Most 3dmark scores seem to support this) I think moving it intel might be the better move.

So your saying you dont regret switching to intel this time around?

Yea, HAvok is found in tons of game titles and that usually suffers on the AMD end. Not sure why, but it's always been that way.

If your spending 200$, AMD is fine. 300$ Intel is better. That's about what the difference is. Just a few days ago the 4770K was 199$ walk in at MC, so you dropped the ball there. I think looking for a used 3770K for like 250 would be an ok way to go.... ""OH IT"S DEAD SOCKET"">... well so is the AM3+ socket IMO. it's just that the 1155 will give you that 50$ extra in performance all day long. Just a matter of finding one at that price.

Going to Intel is the better move. Never thought I'd be saying that 6-8 years ago.... :chair:

Alright so if you were in my spot would you spend 500-600 bucks to switch to intel, spend 200 to upgrade to the 8350, or wait a few months and see what happens with the new boards?

Hard to say...

One thing for sure: don't get a 8350. Your Thuban at its speed is as fast as a [email protected].
Intel next gen is for second half 2014 I think.

I'd sell cpu and mobo for $200/$250 and grab a used 3770k or 4770k for $200/$250 and an Asrock exreme 4 for $130. Out of your pocket, $150 to $200.

And a rig that will last a few years.

That's what I did a couple of month ago: sold my 1100t and my Sabertooth for €220 and grab a used 3770k and p8z68-v pro gen 3 for €210...

Look for an i7 3820, and a cheap x79 board...or a 4820k, better ocing than ivy or haswell because of soldered heatspreader, better features in the boards, even the cheapest ones.

I'd sell the AMD gear and keep the gpu and the rest (obviously :D), and go for whatever 8 threaded intel cpu you can get the cheapest (sandy or newer, it's pretty much the same).

Microcenter has x79 deals, 50 off board + cpu combo (and discounted cpu).
Even with tax it's way cheaper, if you're close to a store.

Going to Intel is the better move. Never thought I'd be saying that 6-8 years ago.... :chair:

I know right, makes me sad to be honest :/

Hard to say...

One thing for sure: don't get a 8350. Your Thuban at its speed is as fast as a [email protected].
Intel next gen is for second half 2014 I think.

I'd sell cpu and mobo for $200/$250 and grab a used 3770k or 4770k for $200/$250 and an Asrock exreme 4 for $130. Out of your pocket, $150 to $200.

And a rig that will last a few years.

That's what I did a couple of month ago: sold my 1100t and my Sabertooth for €220 and grab a used 3770k and p8z68-v pro gen 3 for €210...

I think I would rather go for the 4670k for gaming there doesnt seem to be a large difference between the 670 and 770. Motherboard would be either an Asus Max VI, Max VI hero or the Sabertooth Z87. Obviously I need to figure out which features I need and dont need because Im quite spoiled with my ROG Crosshair V. Money isnt really the problem but I dont want to spend money on something im not going to see a nice return on. How did you like the Sabertooth?

Last edited:
Just a few days ago the 4770K was 199$ walk in at MC.
That's when I picked up the 4770k and Maximus Hero.

So your saying theres not a large visible difference between the 8350 and the 4770k?
When playing the games I play ie BF3, BF Heroes I do not see any difference playing on either the I7 or the 8350. That's playing at 1080p with either of my cards. I have a 670 GTX and the 580 GTX and have switched them back and forth between the rigs to see if I notice a difference, which I don't. Though I haven't recorded anything to see if my FPS is dropping between the rigs, but my overall experience playing between the rigs, I don't feel there a dramatic difference.

For 4770k I'd reccomend the Maximus Hero...

Yeah thats what im leaning towards.

When playing the games I play ie BF3, BF Heroes I do not see any difference playing on either the I7 or the 8350. That's playing at 1080p with either of my cards. I have a 670 GTX and the 580 GTX and have switched them back and forth between the rigs to see if I notice a difference, which I don't. Though I haven't recorded anything to see if my FPS is dropping between the rigs, but my overall experience playing between the rigs, I don't feel there a dramatic difference.

Ok fair enough, thanks for your help!

So total for a 4670k and the hero is $459. So if im able to sell my CPU and board for $200-250 its only about $200-250 out of pocket.

So total for a 4670k and the hero is $459.
Keep an eye out for sales maybe the I5 or the board will go on sale for blackfriday? If you like the CHV you'll like the Maximus Hero, I've only had it 5 days so I haven't really played with it but it's very similar in the BIOS.

So if im able to sell my CPU and board for $200-250
Sounds about right.

If you're anywhere near the Long Island/Wesbury NY Microcenter you can get a good combo deal on the I5 and the Hero walk in only.

Keep an eye out for sales maybe the I5 or the board will go on sale for blackfriday? If you like the CHV you'll like the Maximus Hero, I've only had it 5 days so I haven't really played with it but it's very similar in the BIOS.

Sounds about right.

If you're anywhere near the Long Island/Wesbury NY Microcenter you can get a good combo deal on the I5 and the Hero walk in only.

Oh yeah ill be waiting a little while to see if the prices go anywhere, might even wait until after christmas as well.

Yeah im around 45 min from the store, might have to swing by and see what there prices are.

Only thing I just realized is I have no idea where I put my air cooler for the mosfet and vrm :(

Only thing I just realized is I have no idea where I put my air cooler for the mosfet and vrm
For the Intel rig unless you're really pounding it I doubt you'll need it.

Oh yeah I agree, I meant for my current board, might end up causing me an issue when I go to sell it.
That is true, it may be tougher to find someone that needs one and either has a WC setup or plans on it.

Back