• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bottlenecked!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trendx

I am running a PIII 850mhz, 384 mb ram, and a riva tnt 2 video card 32 mbs, i am looking to upgrade to a geforce ti 4200, would i get severe bottleneckage? Would it be worth it? Im just looking to play games that i cant right now such as battlefield and ut 2003...please tell me what you think.

you will see a HUGE difference, and all games should be very playable at high res, but you wont get the maximum out of your card without upgrading the other components

it is definately worth upgrading your video card,

it is only worth going all the way for a 4200 if you plan to upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram at some point in the next 6 months or so because otherwise you wont see the benefit of a Geforce4 over a Geforce3 or radeon 8500

repoman11...he was comparing 3dmark2000 scores and that is why he did not see much of an increase...

Originally posted by funnyperson1
it is definately worth upgrading your video card,

it is only worth going all the way for a 4200 if you plan to upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram at some point in the next 6 months or so because otherwise you wont see the benefit of a Geforce4 over a Geforce3 or radeon 8500

How do I tell this to someone with less computer knowledge (ie he kept bragging to me how he upgraded his comp from 128MB to 384MB of ram :(). He wants to buy a Ti4600, but he only has a 750MHz processor. I tell him it will be badly bottlenecked and he should just save his money for now but he won't believe me. Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

Tipycol

Yes, and he figured it out and ran 2001, and got 6,300. It is still an informative thread.
An improvement is an improvement, whether or not it is worth it is up to you and your bank account!

Tipycol said:

How do I tell this to someone with less computer knowledge (ie he kept bragging to me how he upgraded his comp from 128MB to 384MB of ram :(). He wants to buy a Ti4600, but he only has a 750MHz processor. I tell him it will be badly bottlenecked and he should just save his money for now but he won't believe me. Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

Tipycol
Tell him to come here and have a look! But I wouldn't knock myself out trying to convince him not to do it. Most likely he'll just have to figure it out for himself. Maybe he wants an excuse to upgrade!

okk

Ok i just didnt understand that last post (tipyculs)...i do plan on upgrading my computer fully later, but what im worried about now is just playing until i can get the money...things like my 3d score and all that stuff dont matter to me, i just simply want to run ut 2003 and make it look and play great just like all others, and get around 30-60 fps, i dont care about all that other stuffs.

If any of you guys are on AIM please IM me at YourPimpOnline, id like to learn.

repo man11 said:

Tell him to come here and have a look! But I wouldn't knock myself out trying to convince him not to do it. Most likely he'll just have to figure it out for himself. Maybe he wants an excuse to upgrade!

True true, guess he'll learn the hard way (see little improvement from his card now).

Re: okk

trendy1 said:
Ok i just didnt understand that last post (tipyculs)...i do plan on upgrading my computer fully later, but what im worried about now is just playing until i can get the money...things like my 3d score and all that stuff dont matter to me, i just simply want to run ut 2003 and make it look and play great just like all others, and get around 30-60 fps, i dont care about all that other stuffs.

If any of you guys are on AIM please IM me at YourPimpOnline, id like to learn.

Well, it's up to you if you should get it or not but like funnyperson1 said, you will see more of an improvement after upgrading your entire computer. About my first post I was just talking about a friend of mine that wants to get the best vid card but doesn't understand how it can be bottlenecked from the processor. I told him to upgrade to a 1.3GHz Duron and he got freaked out when I told him to be careful not to crush the core when putting on the heatsink :(

Back