• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brad Brooks you are an ignorate moron.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lets keep this civil please. Just a shot across the bow, not saying any one is out of line.

If we are going to push for OS smugness. Lets invite Apple users into the thread and snicker. ( I do respect the Apple OS like I do Windows.)
:beer:

Mechwarrior 2 and all it's expansions.
It has never, and will never work in Linux. (it's direct3d only, no openGL at all)
You can't run it in DosEMU either.

I haven't tried a VM yet though, that might work.
You have to have DOS and (really should) have Win98se.

You may just have a newer version of Mech 2 but my copy I have (think I still have) was 100% dos and that should mean OpenGL. Ghost bears though, my copy was some strange Win95 DOS hybrid, could not start it in DOS mode but when you ran it in Windows it would start up a strange DOS session and run there :confused:. That one might be Directx. Then there is Mech 2 Mercenaries which is probably Directx.

Anyway my point is that maybe Mech 2 DOS version would work. And as for the VM I am now tempted to search through my dusty CD's and see if I can get one of them working. I figure running software graphics mode on a 2.3GHZ core when the original requirements were somewhere around 60 - 200MHz (depending on the version) should have some interesting results.

Yes I like to be spoon fed Microsoft products and when I go buy a game it says it will work on my one third assed OS 90% of the time provided I defragment, possibly reformat, install new drivers and patches and so forth-- but I still don't have to learn a new OS.

And even after that it sometimes still doesn't work right. I was at a LAN party a week ago and was trying to get COD WAW running on my g/f's computer and it would only start when the graphics were turned down to about mid settings but would then freeze after 10 minutes of playing. All other high end games we played were fine on that computer. Then we were playing some racing game and myself and two other people kept having freezing and LAN connection issues while the five other guys had no issues.

I mostly blame the game developers for this crap but still, there is no free lunch. I tend to spend half my time at these things debugging connection issues, driver issues, one piece of hardware's driver isn't compatible with one game but without that driver version another doesn't work right. WTF? All this on a supposedly easy to use OS that these games were made for.

Things are only easy until something goes wrong, the same can be said for Linux.

as for your next paragraph...what is there to attack? Linux is superior in every way. If its all about gaming to you, then you might be surprised to read that i've yet to find a game i CAN'T play in Linux. True enough it is, that most do not play out of the box in Linux, but you'll have the same problem with vista/vista 64. Try playing a classic, like D2, Starcraft, Wolfenstein, or Doom1/2. (all ID games play out of the box in linux, but do not in vista Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit. Regardless of how up-to-date, or Old the Linux install is, they just work.)

But then again, ignorance is bliss. One can not attack something one knows nothing about.

See, that's what I'm talking about. You assume that people run Windows only because 'they don't know any better.' Some of us simply prefer it. No reason to call names.

BTW, I'm running Vista 64, and my games work right out of the box. How is that inferior to Linux? ;)

See, that's what I'm talking about. You assume that people run Windows only because 'they don't know any better.' Some of us simply prefer it. No reason to call names.

BTW, I'm running Vista 64, and my games work right out of the box. How is that inferior to Linux? ;)

And thats fine. I don't understand it, but its fine. I"ve always had a flavor of windows on my computers.

As for calling you names i don't think I did....Unless you are the famous person everyone refers to as "one" =)

Play D2 on vista 64 and you'll see what I mean. Out of the box.

People have their own preferences. Windows does a lot of things better than Linux. Some are Huge.

1. Games
2. Display detection

Linux does a lot of things in ways that make a lot more sense.

1. Application repositories
2. Kernel isolation

This is another reminder to keep this civil.

I have no problem with linux, well I do not have a problem with other people running it, I have lots of problems when I try running it because I did not buy "linux compatible hardware." But that is not the point.

The point is that there is still a lot of "Mac user Mentality" linux users out there, not necessairily here, but, well okay here too... that feel the need to attack windows rather than just use their OS of choice and be happy about it.

Its okay to be the little guy, but you only bring attention to the fact that you are the litlte guy by complaining about hte big guy.

I would say that it is about time for me to install Linux again and try running it, but since all of my PCs are ATI now... I do not see that happening. Maybe in a VM :)

I run ATI... It works fine. You may want to run the proprietary drivers, which are the same thing as the drivers on windows pretty much. You can get them from ATI like you do for windows by downloading from the website, then follow the instructions they provide. There are other ways of doing it too.

If your going to try it again, the latest version of Ubuntu is pretty friendly.

Ya sure all windows users are too stupid in understand linux. Yet ive run windows, linux, osx, pretty much everything on my pc and i PREFER windows. Linux is a good alternative because its free, has some advantages, but for what i do its pretty much useless. The most annoying thing about linux is the linux fanboys lol, same thing with macs.

Neur0mancer, the newer ATI cards (last year or so) actually have pretty decent linux drivers, i don't know what you have but you could look into it in no time to see how compatible the cards are now.

Ya sure all windows users are too stupid in understand linux. Yet ive run windows, linux, osx, pretty much everything on my pc and i PREFER windows. Linux is a good alternative because its free, has some advantages, but for what i do its pretty much useless. The most annoying thing about linux is the linux fanboys lol, same thing with macs.

and what exactly DO you do with windows that linux is useless? game?

Windows is more for people who like a mouse, click and point and not really care what goes on on their computer. Thats fine and there is a place for that.

Linux tends to be for those people who really like to tinker and mess with things. Nothing wrong with prefering windows, I just dont really know what to do with it that i cant in linux. Except get virus' ;)
I am sure there are windows proprietary software out there I just dont have need for them. That said I used windows for years from 3.1 right up until vista, and vista was the last straw, I bought a laptop ripped vista off threw linux on and havent looked back. Which always makes me curious as to why people say they have to use windows. And I do mean that sincerely I kind of like to keep a running tab on such things to watch linux's progress

I would just like to say, as a Windows user, I have never once had a virus. I have had warnings of my security system stopping and handling a virus, but never had one actually hit my system.

One of these days, I really need to try to learn Linux though, it seems like a really cool program, I just don't have the know-how yet.

One of these days, I really need to try to learn Linux though, it seems like a really cool program, I just don't have the know-how yet.

I didn't either, until I started using it. It was pretty easy for me to switch because my personal usage of the PC is web, media, and code. Nothing tying me to windows. Linux is laid out in a way that while doing the normal stuff I do, most of the other stuff I needed to figure out was intuitive or had instructions available... I didn't find myself working in the registry to tweak settings buried in some obscure branch.

Within a few months the neat wore off and I found myself in the same boat with Ubuntu that I was in on Windows... I can do everything I want to do, now what?

What bothered me about both Ubuntu and Windows was that I really didn't understand a lot of what was going on. Most everything you do just works. Some of it that doesn't just work either just doesn't work real well or works slowly.

Then I got the gentoo handbook and have been runnnig gentoo for several months - customized my kernel to support my hardware, compiled all my apps with optimizations for my hardware and preferences, and if anything doesn't work I know its just because I haven't set it up yet. When I do set it up and make it work, I understand why it works and it works the way I want it to.

So the point is, if you do switch over you may eventually find yourself happier on Linux once you get acclimated. It can take a lot of time though, a lot of things aren't done the same way they are done in windows and thats a shift that takes time.

I'd say the hardest hurdle for people transitioning to Linux, or even Mac OS X, is finding replacements for their 'old and trusty' programs they are used to in Windows. And, there are certain instances where there is just no substitute, like AutoCAD. But, the great thing is that a large number of 'clones' or replacements are multi-platform, like Firefox and OpenOffice.org.

So, to make the transition seamless, you can start training yourself to use open source programs in Windows. You'll become familiar with the names and how to use the programs without even leaving the comfort of your old OS. Then, when windows decides to not boot up one day because of a registry error, you can then say "This is a great time to change to Ubuntu" and you'll have 0 problems.

I'd say the hardest hurdle for people transitioning to Linux, or even Mac OS X, is finding replacements for their 'old and trusty' programs they are used to in Windows. And, there are certain instances where there is just no substitute, like AutoCAD. But, the great thing is that a large number of 'clones' or replacements are multi-platform, like Firefox and OpenOffice.org.

So, to make the transition seamless, you can start training yourself to use open source programs in Windows. You'll become familiar with the names and how to use the programs without even leaving the comfort of your old OS. Then, when windows decides to not boot up one day because of a registry error, you can then say "This is a great time to change to Ubuntu" and you'll have 0 problems.

Hell you can even use KDE on windows now... to get used to the interface... interesting developments indeed

however, gentoo can be a tough place to begin because personally, I still find some of the stuff bizzar. For example I was trying to install it in a VM today following the hand book to a T and when it came time to emerge portage and the kernel, guess what, every single thing i tried to emerge was masked. Why? I haven't the slightest. I tried different snapshots from portage without any luck. I gave up after noticing some bug reports about it. Deb based distro's do want i want/need for the time being I am comfortable here. I am willing to pick away at gentoo in a VM if these bugs get resolved

Rather than respond to everything here, I'm going to say that you are right about a lot and wrong about some of the things you said there. That is to say, I agree with most and disagree with some of the points that you made.

Regards,

A Windows user, not because i'm lazy or paid a tone of money, but because I like it.

I will agree, sorry OP but some things you said about windows make you look just as much like an 'ignorant' moron, and most bad points you made is largely due to user error.

Vista / Windows 7 installs in anywhere from 15-25 mins for me, my rigs doent get viruses, they dont become slow either, nor the other things you claim.

linux is great but we have all ready ther many thoughts as to why it isnt main stream and many people who do try it go back to windows.

Last edited:
Play D2 on vista 64 and you'll see what I mean. Out of the box.

I am thinking to myself. As a DII recovering addict. Is this one game a deal breaker? What about modern games. Like within the last 5*6 years. I bought Diablo when it came out, also the expansions... I also got Diablo 2 and the Lords expansion as it came out. Most have moved past this, a very long time ago. It is boring playing the same game for years on end. How many Baal runs can one make.
Now if Diablo 3 will not be a good game under Linux. Then we got issues.

I am still not happy ZSNES does not work out of the box on my 64bit [Linux] kernel. Works if I go with 32bit.The game pad works great, but I just cannot get that emulator to work/ I do not want to sit there for hours for a bit of game time. 32bit it runs perfectly.

Hell you can even use KDE on windows now... to get used to the interface... interesting developments indeed

however, gentoo can be a tough place to begin because personally, I still find some of the stuff bizzar. For example I was trying to install it in a VM today following the hand book to a T and when it came time to emerge portage and the kernel, guess what, every single thing i tried to emerge was masked. Why? I haven't the slightest. I tried different snapshots from portage without any luck. I gave up after noticing some bug reports about it. Deb based distro's do want i want/need for the time being I am comfortable here. I am willing to pick away at gentoo in a VM if these bugs get resolved

If you need help, I can try to walk thru that part with you. I have gone thru that section of the handbook probably about a dozen times without issues (had issues in other parts when I was learning) and could probably figure out whats going on. That part of the guide isn't too complicated, so it shouldn't take long to straighten out.

And Gentoo is bizarre, especially portage - its pretty much the only distribution of linux that gives you a file layout and a package manager, and says "this is a distribution" lol. Compared to Ubuntu, you get almost nothing to start with except the CLI, your trusty lynx text-only browser, and a 130 page manual. Portage is fricking sweet once you get your arms around it tho.

I will agree, sorry OP but some things you said about windows make you look just as much like an 'ignorant' moron, and most bad points you made is largely due to user error.

Vista / Windows 7 installs in anywhere from 15-25 mins for me, my rigs doent get viruses, they dont become slow either, nor the other things you claim.

linux is great but we have all ready ther many thoughts as to why it isnt main stream and many people who do try it go back to windows.

Whats that funny quote about people dont use linux is associated with not buying cars in individual parts/not built yet? :santa:

If you need help, I can try to walk thru that part with you. I have gone thru that section of the handbook probably about a dozen times without issues (had issues in other parts when I was learning) and could probably figure out whats going on. That part of the guide isn't too complicated, so it shouldn't take long to straighten out.

And Gentoo is bizarre, especially portage - its pretty much the only distribution of linux that gives you a file layout and a package manager, and says "this is a distribution" lol. Compared to Ubuntu, you get almost nothing to start with except the CLI, your trusty lynx text-only browser, and a 130 page manual. Portage is fricking sweet once you get your arms around it tho.

Thanks for the offer. I have built gentoo machines before actually without incident. I am also accustom to building from the ground up with debian and rhel5 (commandlines only) in fact i work primarly from the command line at work.

As to why absolutely everything is masked i have no idea

Whats that funny quote about people dont use linux is associated with not buying cars in individual parts/not built yet? :santa:

I've always wanted to build a kit car (and install a nice carputer to manage it too) but I have no garage, no money, and no time. [Sigh]

Im having a problem with my machine and i can't get my text below the quote so i''ll put it above.

I had a similar probelm, all the files i needed to get the macine running properly were masked, and initially i struggled through unmasking them (it was my first time installing Gentoo) and got it running.
however on my second and beyond tries (where i wanted to optimize it to my machine) i kept breaking the kernel and never fixed it and reinstalled Ubuntu.
Let me know if you figure out why they're all masked (you can fix it, it just takes time and a lot of google)

Thanks for the offer. I have built gentoo machines before actually without incident. I am also accustom to building from the ground up with debian and rhel5 (commandlines only) in fact i work primarly from the command line at work.

As to why absolutely everything is masked i have no idea

Back