• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bringing the Pentium-M to the desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have yet to read of anyone successfully using a DDR booster successfully with a Dothan. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk, but if there is a problem, it needs to be brought to light, and this is one of them. If you buy a booster to use with a Dothan, you will regret it.

It's especially useless considering how easy the Kyosen vdimm mod is. If you've never voltmodded before, this is an excellent mod for a beginner to start with.

Gautam said:
I have yet to read of anyone successfully using a DDR booster successfully with a Dothan. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk, but if there is a problem, it needs to be brought to light, and this is one of them. If you buy a booster to use with a Dothan, you will regret it.

It's especially useless considering how easy the Kyosen vdimm mod is. If you've never voltmodded before, this is an excellent mod for a beginner to start with.

:( not something i want to hear, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I have volt modded videocards before, and not afraid to do so again, but was hoping for more than 3.3Vdimm. But if i have to, i guess i have to.

I use a DDR booster with a Dothan (at a P4P800-SE). It has a bit of a vdrop under load but from what I've read that's normal with the DDR booster. Other than that small issue it works fine.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

Looks like it might be a mobo fault with my friend's PC -- his Dothan 1.6 + adapter works fine in my rig at 2.3Ghz. Had to give it a bit more voltage though -- 1.35v

I tried re-flashing his BIOS, but it didn't help. Upping the voltage up to 1.6 didn't help *at all* either. Temps were fine, so it isn't that.

(BTW, you *can* adjust the voltage in the BIOS without pin-mods on the P4P800-E Deluxe. Might want to update the FAQ.)

EDIT: The mobo seems to overclock fine with a single 512mb DIMM installed. Weird. Won't even run a single 1Gb DIMM locked to 266 with 2.85 volts. (Yes, that DIMM works fine at full speed in an indentical rig.) Tried different slots too. No good.

Last edited:
Keep 'em coming people!

As you can read here, the newer chips clock even better...i might buy one in a month or so, a few hundred extra Mhz is always welcome, especially when they count so heavy as with Dothan.

Chip: 1.5 400FSB
Motherboard: P4P800-E DLX
RAM: 2x512MB OCZ EL 4200 (TCCD, I think)
Videocard: Leadtek AGP 6200@6600+
Cooling: CT479 Stock
Current Speed: 2505Mhz (167x15)
Max FSB / CPU clock: 175Mhz / 2625Mhz
Current Voltage: 1.4v
S-code / stepping / pack date: SL7GL / B1 / ??

This was a first try, first night. As AS5 cures and I tweak the rig, I expect to get more. Ironically, this is my fiance's box that was running a P4-M 1.6 without an adapter until yesterday. I'm having a hard time believing how ridiculously fast and easy this upgrade was. If intel continues this technology to dual core and integrates a memory controller on die, AMD might have a problem on the high end desktop market.

All I can say is, wow. This is the easiest overclock I've done in a long time, falling right into the realm of the first generation of 1.8 Northwood P4's (that ran ~2.4ghz), AXIA Tbird 1ghz (that ran 1400mhz), P3-700 Coppermine (that ran 933mhz), and my first ever significant overclock of a Celeron 366@550mhz. Of course, the P4-M [email protected] I replaced wasn't a half bad OC either. :)

Sjaak said:
Keep 'em coming people!

As you can read here, the newer chips clock even better...i might buy one in a month or so, a few hundred extra Mhz is always welcome, especially when they count so heavy as with Dothan.

The 750 I purphased is a newer stepping i think. :)

Do you think a 84W peltier can help on my 715 Dothan over P4C800-e motherbord. ? Iknow peltier si bad but i already have it and it's unused.

I have no memory for know, i'm still looking for the more appropriate dual DDR memory.

Last edited:
Who said:
Are P4GD1s still being produced? Can I buy them anywhere?
just ordered my p4gd1 through this french website,international payment by direct transfer only,guy was very helpful.here's the link
http://www.webmarchand.com/a/liste_...d_mag/28008545/T/1/debut/12/liste_produit.htm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
P4P800 SE(no mod yet)
PM750@2845ghz watercool
BFG 6800ultra@450/1.2ghz
2x256mb Corsair PC3500C2@2-2-2-5
2x36gig Raptors
OCZ DDR [email protected]
OCZ Powerstream 520watts

nrj-dna said:
Do you think a 84W peltier can help on my 715 Dothan over P4C800-e motherbord. ? Iknow peltier si bad but i already have it and it's unused.
84w is too weak for dothan.. over 1.45v temp starts to rise, well over aircooled temps.. 150w+ tec would be ok :)

might as well join in the fun.... :p

chip: 740 1.73ghz 533fsb
motherboard: p4c800e deluxe
ram: 2x512mb geil value
videocard: leadtek 6800gt @ 385/1100
cooling: ct479 stock cooler
current speed: 2613mhz (201x13)
max fsb / cpu clock: still experimenting.....
current voltage: 1.45v
s-code / stepping / pack date: SL7SA / C0 / 05-28-2005 (phillipines)

:)

Last edited:
dzendrowska said:
current speed: 2730mhz (210x13)

That is indeed impressive for stock cooling with those volts :eek:. Great job man!

/added :)

Notes: moved the index list for post #2..it looks better now.

Jimbob7 said:
dzendrowska, nice clocks for stock cooling. Try and drop the multi and get a bigger bus speed, it really helps. :D

Scott.

my main problem with raising the bus speed is that i only have geil value ram. upgrading that anytime soon is not going to happen as i'm now skint.... :D

here's a noob question for you. can i use a divider? i've read all about a64s not feeling any side effects from doing this but what about intel?

edit: using a divider was no go. 250x10 with the ram at 200 wouldn't even post so i'm not going to bother with that. also tried clocking the geil value and it seems happy enough at 230 1:1. but with the system clocked to 230x12, i was getting worse benchmark results than 210x13. upping the fsb with the multi still at 13 was unstable which is to be expected with the stock cooler so i'll leave it as it is. tis a gaming machine afterall. :)

Sjaak said:
That is indeed impressive for stock cooling with those volts :eek:. Great job man!

/added :)

had to bump up the voltage to 1.5 for prime stability. 9 hours so far and still running. it failed prime after 2 hours at 1.475.

Last edited:
I got my dothan setup today and to say I am not impressed :(

I was under the impression that dothans are unlocked. It says i can change the cpu ratio in the bios, but it does nothing. The highest clock i have been able to get so far is 166X14, which is about 2.3GHZ. What is a safe amount of voltage for this chips, since the only way I'll be seeing 200FSB is with more voltage.

you'd be more impressed if you flashed a bios that allows multi changes :santa:

(you might have to flash the bootblock too...read up on it before doing the flash)

edit: actually, you might want to read up on it some more, but there are bioses that work

from another forum:
The MP option is bios depended. If your bios doesn't have the MP option, you can't change it. Basicly every board support changing MP.
Last I checked the P4C800 bios (1021b_04) didn't had a MP option.

What I've tried:
P4P800SE bios on a P4C800-> MP option works
P4C800ED bios on a ^^^^^-> MP option doesn't work at all.
As you can see even flashing a bios with MP-option doesn't always guarantee the ability of changing MP.

Last edited:
So a bios for the P4P800SE bios is going to work on a P4C800 Deluxe???

EDIT: and it shows that i can change the multi in the bios, it just doesn't actually work :(

Last edited:
Back