• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSEL 0 & BSEL 1 Tualatin SOYO TISU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ensabah6

Registered
Hello,
I have the famous SOYO-TISU i815Ep B-stepping. the SOYO-TISU is famous for having a bug in the bios that while tualatin pentium 3's can oc', the SOYO-TISU does not allow the celeron tualatin to OC'. you get an "CMOS ERROR DEFAULT LOADED." and the default ROM bios settings are loaded. SOYO TISU only allows the celeron tualatin FSB to be set at 100mhz.

There are two closely related solutions to the problem.
according to

www.kilowattalley.com/easy

there is a recommendation to disable BOTH BSEL 0 and BSEL 1
(i.e breaking off pins)

whereas

http://www.ocforums.com/archive/thread/139551-1.html

disabling ONLY BSEL 1.

Both agree on disabling BSEL 1. which leads to the obvious question,

What does BSEL 0 pin do?
What does disabling BOTH BSEL 0 and BSEL 1 do that disabling
BSEL 1 only fails to do?

I've contacted both overclockers and kilowattalley but with no response. of course SOYO recommends you don't overclock.

If others post follow-ups, i will post my "results" based on their recommendations.

Last edited:
I was unable to get the first link to work, so I don't know what Celeron was used. The second link used a Tualatin which is 100 FSB default. So, my guess is that it's possible you might need to isolate/remove BSEL0 if you have a 66 FSB default Celeron (or maybe any of the Coppermine Celerons... I don't know), but if you are using a Tualatin, then you probably only need to isolate/remove the BSEL1 pin. I have a buddy with this mobo and a 1.0A Celeron and I always wondered why the BIOS would revert back to default everytime it was hard-booted.

Dear JCLW and batboy,

yes my tualatin celeron is already set at 100mhz FSB default.
if your friend's i815ep b-step is SOYO-TISU, it's a known bug.

SOYO tech support says "don't overclock".
Yeah right.

I want to take the time to say thanks for answering my question, since the BSEL 0 pin is turned off, then i'll just work with the BSEL 1 pin.

I am tentatively planning to use finger nail paint. i don't know how to break it off without damaging adjacent pins.

so thanks JCLW and batboy you saved me 30 minutes of additional work, in that i don't have to finger nail paint BSEL 0 pin.

Or, if you have a spare 80pin IDE cable strip the insulation off one of the wires and slide the isulation over the pin.

Back