• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget video editing box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LMHmedchem

Registered
This a for a video editing box in the $600 range. I have never build a video box and I am unfamiliar with the specific hardware requirements.

I don't know how firm that budget is, or the extent to which parts will be re-used. I already have a 22" monitor, and I don't need an OS. I am not sure about a video card yet. There is already a video card available, but I don't know what it is. I may keep it for now, or look to CF if it is a decent card. The main performance use will be to run Pinnacle and possibly CakeWalk sound editing software.

Here are two possible lists,
NZXT M59 001BK ATX Mid Tower ($40 w/PROMO +freeship)
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ($80 AMIR)
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX SATA 6 USB3 ($115 MC w/bundle)
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core Processor 955 BE ($160)
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM ($105, 7-8-7-24)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB ($40 w/PROMO)
LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner SATA Model iHAS124-04 ($18)

~$560 shipped

the second build is the same as above, except with,
Intel Core i5 750 Processor Boxed ($170)
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 P55 SATA 6 USB3 ($130 AMIR)

~$580 shipped

Important questions are,
- what are the video card requirements
- is 8GB of RAM useful, or will it go unused by the software
- is a hex core CPU useful, or will the extra cores go unused
- which platform gives the best performance with video editing software
(Phenom II 955, 965, 1055T w/890GX or i5 750, i7 860 w/p55)

I think that the 650TX is much more than may be needed, but there aren't many good PSUs that cost significantly less, so I would appreciate suggestions on that front. The case is also not my first choice (a bit funky looking), but again, there is not much for $40 shipped with the feature set I would like.

At the moment I am leaning toward the AMD (probably with a 965BE) because the motherboard has a nice feature set and is only $115 at MC. If I end up doing CF on the card, the AMD board has 2x8x lanes. I would need a much more expensive Intel board to do that, although there appear to be some low cost MSI boards (MSI P55A-G55) that have the same feature set as the GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX for ~$125. I am very interested to know more about these MSI boards as well if anyone has some experience with them. The comperable Asus and GA boards are $50 more.

Obviously SSD or a raid0 would be very nice, but I don't think that is in the budget at the moment, although I could look at a second 500GB, since they are $40 at the moment.

Comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated,

LMHmedchem

Possible upgrades,
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic ($70 +freeship)
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W Modular ($100 AMIR)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition ($180)
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T AM3 Processor ($200)
Intel Core i7 860 Processor Boxed ($230)
OCZ Reaper 2x2GB DDR3 2000 OCZ3RPR2000LV4GK ($80 AMIR, 9-9-9-30)

No comments on this thread? I thought these questions would be fairly straightforward.

Did I post in the wrong place or not provide adequate information?

LMHmedchem

Well i dont think you need the Black Edition procesor, since the only diffrence is unlocked multiplier for overclokcing, and you're not gohna overclock.Or are you?

Last edited:
Unless you get a very powerful GPU you don't need that large of a power supply, if you're using the onboard video a corsair 400w is plenty.
If you're using an add-on card with a 110w or less TDP that 400w is still plenty.
Over that GPU wise and you'll want a larger PSU.

I'm not familiar enough with the software to know how many cores it uses or whether it uses >4gb of ram.

Well i dont think you need the Black Edition procesor, since the only diffrence is unlocked multiplier for overclokcing, and you're not gohna overclock.Or are you?
I tend to overclock most everything, but the 965BE is already at a fairly high clock and seem to be difficulty to push past 3.8GHz or so without allot of effort, so I probably wouldn't bother. I would not save a great deal by dropping to a lower model CPU, so that is one reason I picked the 955-965BE. Even dropping to an Athlon II quad, the savings would be in the $50 range. If I get the 1055T, then it will definitely be overclocked some.

Unless you get a very powerful GPU you don't need that large of a power supply, if you're using the onboard video a corsair 400w is plenty.
If you're using an add-on card with a 110w or less TDP that 400w is still plenty.
Over that GPU wise and you'll want a larger PSU.

When I looked at pricing, the cost of the 400W or 450W Corsair models were only about a $30 savings from the 650W, so again I went with the higher grade part. Some of this will depend on prices when I order. I think the 650W is $70AMIR right now. Is it common for video editing boxed to make use of crossfire/SLI? That is another part of the mix, there is a video card, and it it's not quite enough I will think about CF, which would require a bit more juice. Do you have any suggestions about the video card capacity that is necessary?

This is lower capacity hardware than I am used to building with, so I am finding my self tending toward more than is necessary. It is still pretty amazing what you can put together for $600 or so.

LMHmedchem

I don't think many video editing programs use the GPU these days, but i'm not really in touch with that area.

I don't see CF/SLI being useful, i doubt that there are any situations where it would save money for a given amount of GPU horsepower (math wise) compared to a single larger card.

Pinnacle doesn't appear to use GPUs, so you could just use the onboard video. That saves a bunch of money and power.

Back