• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building another Box (full tower this time)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's possible to fit in an 800D, but you have to mod it. And yeah, you have to use Xeon Procs. And not just any Xeon, has to be the dual QPI ones.

long as you're aware...you know there are other boards like that, right? couple of the evga classfieds, giga ud7...and they don't require server procs

yea, my bad...still recovering from this weekend and I thought he'd posted that lol

Not sure if you ever checked my build before but I am running the Xeon Nehalem processors already from my last build.
And next year, right before taxes are due I am going to be moving up to the 6 core instead of my 4 core Xeons.

My build runs the Asus Server board now

You'd still need to mod the case, how extensively i'm not sure. I just decided to go with a Danger Den LDR 29 DoubleWide.

You do lose the last 1 or two PCIe slots however, due to the case not having enough spots.

lol its cool.

After this box I am more than likely going to just make a test bench then I don't have to worry about case size at all.
The more I see them, the more I want to make one.

They're kinda neat, but my eternally shedding cat would cause issues with one. :p

Right now I have two cats and a dog all which shed. But one cat is living on borrowed time as it is, so by the time the test bench is being built she will be out of the way.

I don't really know what to do about the hair from the others besides put my comp in a room where they are not allowed. I wouldn't mess with it, but I need tax write off's every year and I get tired of having the same set up. I never play online games, but I might look to change that if I have a mobo that could support it. The asus board only has one pciex16

Mine sheds no matter how cold it gets here, gets a bit annoying since it sticks to some of my clothes. That and she likes to sleep behind the computer, where all the warm air is coming from. Also where all the cables are and she just walks through them like nothing.

Mine sheds no matter how cold it gets here, gets a bit annoying since it sticks to some of my clothes. That and she likes to sleep behind the computer, where all the warm air is coming from. Also where all the cables are and she just walks through them like nothing.

strip em all bare, she'll learn pretty quick :D

Nuuu I like my little kitty, do not want kitty barbecue

Haha, I like my cat too. It really is mine I picked it out and paid for it, a pretty freakin penny at that. I could have built a pretty good system for the price of that cat now that I think about it.

Well I got a little work done today, I wired all the fans together and got them all working perfectly on both rads.

I also cut up the Optical drive to fit Both my hdd's and me 2 ssd's
I removed the sides of the optical drive so that I could fit the two HDD's side by side and then the two ssd's will sit slightly elevated off of them. I am going to install some fans behind them to move air past them and keep them cool.
o
In the poorly made pic below you can see what I am talking about I hope lol.
I am not going to use anything to install them other than some industrial Velcro. I don't really see a prob with this as I don't go to lans and my box never moves.

Attachments

• IMG_2857.JPG
    IMG_2857.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 320
So I had some more whatever kind of days.
I actually laid my bike down doing 30mph today thanks to the truck infront of me slamming on his breaks and lighting them up causing me to hit mind hard and having to lay it down to avoid my face becoming a permanent part of his tailgate.

But I did manage to get the compression fittings on the pumps, and I did the port and polish mod as seen in this thread.
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/194651-mcp655-d5-port-polish-mod.html

I did scratch the fittings up getting them on, but its no biggie because they won't be seen!

Attachments

• 2010-11-27 17.49.14.jpg
    2010-11-27 17.49.14.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 281
Last night I stayed up for a while and sleeved almost all of the PSU cables and moved them to exit out the back side of the PSU to keep everything tidy!

Now I am looking for a way to move the pci e connectors on the psu to a new place, but I don't think that will happen. But I might have a trick up my sleeve to move it.

Back