• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building my first gaming computer - need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackhawk005

Hey guys I've been playing console games for pretty much my whole life and I have recently wanted to make the step to getting all of them for the pc. I have always been a huge fan of amazing graphics and performance and I figure a pc is my best option. With this being said I know hardly anything regarding the hardware you need to build a great gaming pc.

Overall I'm just looking for some help on where to get started in building my pc and what parts I could get for this kind of money to make an awesome gaming rig. I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out all the parts I could get for this much or how much I actually need to spend.

The help is much appreciated and I thank you guys a lot!

What are you planning to do with this compuer?
Mainly for gaming purposes with the best performance.

What is your budget?
Around $2000 but im not really sure how much a top of the line gamine computer would cost to make.

Does this include a copy of Windows? no

Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
No, but wondering what are some good suggestions for a really good monitor.

Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders? Yes I am from the United States so I would get all the parts I need here.

If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
Yea there is one really close to my house.

Do you have any specific requests with the build?
No just a gaming build with amazing performance

Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
not sure. Does overclocking benefit performance? if so than yes

Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
Performance is the only thing I care about

Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
Performance is the only thing I care about

In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
I'm not really sure what is the best option for this

Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.
Not really sure on this either just whatever is best for gaming.

Sorry again for my complete lack of knowledge on this subject and I really appreciate the help guys!

Last edited:
You'll get lots of replies. Your best bet is to read lots of posts while you wait (tomorrow) and fill in Knufires questionair. You'll find it in tons of posts.

Now get to reading if youz got the time now.

I would start looking at the i5 3570k with ASRock extreme 6 for gaming only, also incase you want to overclock down the road.

Some starting pointers:
Unlocked (X/K edition) Quad core CPU - future proofed core-wise, unlocked maximise overclocking ability.
If you decide to overclock, you can achieve
Motherboard compatible with above CPU - either mainstream (1155) or enthusiast (2011), decide what options on the board you want
4 to 16 GB RAM kit (4 is acceptable) - this can be overclocked too
Mid/top range Graphics Card/Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) - can run most games at 60 fps at 1080 resolution. If you want to go 2550x1600 or "3D", top range or multiple mid range cards.
Hard drive - there are a few options: Mechanical Disk (HDD) which are large and cheap or a Solid State Drive (SSD) which are faster, but expensive and small. Usually a mix of both are good, SSD for OS, swap, drivers and heavily used programs and the HDD for archive and not so demanding programs. Small SSDs can be used to accelerate HDDs to near SSD speeds as well, note this "combines" the two to form one drive.
A brand name PSU with good reviews, at the correct wattage for you. This is the last thing I decide on as the power required will depend on the above hardware and if you want to go with multiple GPUs

This computer will serve you well for many years to come. CPUs and GPUs will be upgradeable. You can go all out and get top end stuff, or go midrange and upgrade every so often.

Parts are intentionally not listed, I just wanted to give you an idea. Do research :)

Last edited:
Back