• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new gaming computer...entering AMD territory...need opinions on my setup...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glass19

Registered
Building new gaming computer...entering AMD territory...need opinions on my setup...

Okay...my computer took a major dump. So I plan to upgrade...here is what I've got so far:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case - Lian-Li PC-V1200B or PC-V1000....(by the way...wtf is the difference!!?)

Motherboard - Abit AN8 Ultra (opinions!?)

CPU - AMD x2 (BUT WHAT KIND!!?? and YES...I do plan on OCing!)

Video - ATI X800XL DVD 256 PCI-E or.... ATI X850 XT PE PCI-E...this will depend on the price I can get it for.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was able to salvage my WD 74 gig Raptor HD and my WD 200 gig Caviar IDE HD and also my 2 sticks of OCZ PC4000 Gold Edition RAM sticks and my Plextor SATA 716SA Sata Drive and hopefully my SB Audigy! 2 ZS (either way I'll be getting the X-FI Elite Pro..so the sound wouldn't matter too much)

You see the idea here is to get a pretty fast system going. When Crossfire motherboards start coming out... I will then upgrade to that and move my AMD x2 CPU over along w/ either my x800xl or x850 xt pe. And of course all the other goods like my OCZ and HD's...etc....

I also plan to redue my whole Pelt/Water cooled system, but for the time being will just pick up a Thermalright XP-90C heat stink and throw a 92mm Panaflo on it (probably.)

I'm looking to get the goods to start a major gaming machine when crossfire technolgoy finally comes out. This system I'm building now will all be PRE-CROSSFRIE...I guess...The only major trouble I'm having thus far would be the choice of CPU. I've been with Intel for the last couple of years and here I am stepping into AMD territory...and X2 at that. Pretty excited but just not sure which one to pick up and which on will get me to the highest possible OC. My last system (the one that just failed) was a P4 3.2 HT Northwood OC'd to 3.8 stable at stock voltage! And no! the OCing had nothing to do with my last system failure. It had something to do with a crappy-dirty AUX PSU relay switch that failed...which caused major overheating to the point that my tygon tubing had melted getting coolent all over the case and compnents. I was lucky to salvage my x800 XT PE AGP card. Its a long story....

so thus far...one do you think of my new computer specs!? Would it have some great potential in carrying over in to the Crossfire world?

thanks!

Ehh...I'm not much of a fan of ATI, so I won't comment on the video cards =).

For the CPU, it all depends on your budget. Most dual cores OC to about the same speeds usually. You should either get the X2 3800+ or the X2 4400+, not too sure how much money you'll spend on your computer.

But if you actually want the computer for pure gaming and OCing, your best bet would be getting the FX cores. They OC a lot better then dual cores, and the water cooling would help it obtain higher speeds too. Mainly because of it's unlocked multipliers, it'll be much easier and faster to OC. Also, if you want a pure gaming system, the FXs are a great choice. The FX-55 or FX-57 are top of the line gaming CPUs. The only disadvantage in buying them now, is because of their price and that their not as future proof as dual cores.

Go with the X2 3800+ and you'll be in a much better position when your crossfire setup arrives. The X2 3800+ seem to be getting some pretty good OC's and they are cheaper than the FX at this point. I would also just get the most cost effective board possible since your going to be moving to a crossfire board in a few months. Also the XT's overclock way way better than the XL cards.

I could reccomend the abit if you were planning on sticking with it for a while but for a go-between mobo till crossfire comes out its a waste of money. What with it supposedly being released next month. I'd go for a cheaper mobo so you won't have burnt quite so bigger hole in you pocket

Lian-Li makes great cases, but I would really consider something cheaper. I cannot justify spending that much on a case regardless of how good it is. For the motherboard the best overclockers board is the DFI NF4 Ultra-D. However it may take a little tweaking to get it work properly. My second recommendation would be the Epox NF4 Ultra board. It is a great overclocker.

Pick what X2 you want based on your budget. I would etiher get a 3800+ or the 4400+ since you are overclocking. The 4400+ has some extra cache.

For the video card, unless you definitely want ATI I would get the 6800GT. It is around the same price as the X800Xl's now, but it is a better card.

lets put it this way...

I can get ATI cards below cost so thats why I'm goinw / ATI. woot!

all sounds good! you should love it,but if your going to go x2 i would spring for the 4400+ and video 7800GT :) even tho you get a ATI discount ..hjehe

Back