• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bulit a new system, somethings up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

i'm about to pull the ram and test it in my main but i put together a new computer for a friend of mine, he bought it for his bro who is disabled and has not much else to do but WoW and the such but his old comp (P4 3.0Ghz) is kinda toasted it eats videocards. so this was bought with tax money and we tried to keep it cheap.

specs is:

Phenom II 840 (Stock at 3.2Ghz)
Asus M4A79T Deluxe <----yuck
HIS 6850 1 gig
1 TB Seagate 7200.12 SATA III
4 Gigs gSkill 1333 (pc310666) Cas 9 DDR3
Win 7 64Bit
OCZ modXstream 600W modular PSU

everything is stock and updated aswell

it was roughly $500, the mobo was already on hand but needed a bios update since it had a problems with some of the ram sockets and it was a known issues supposedly taken care of in a bios update.

so i ran 3dmark vantage because it was all that was available and it only scores barely 10k...and wow i hadnt watched the demos in a while, that begining one looks like crap. another thing is it'll just shut off or restart, which ever it feels like. it does it alot more in the CPU test of vantage than the 3D part which is why i am thinking ram but does any one else have any input?

i am gonna run memtest on the ram in the rig in green in my sig. the reason i ask before i run it is because i am hoping to get some input while the test is running. was hoping to get it done today but doesent look like it

ram tested fine even with tightened timing setting, i forgot to reset my ram settings before i stuck them in and turned memtest on.

psu is solid, no variations with a dmm

edit:
just ran vantage at stock in green sig 2800Mhz cpu 860/1200 video, 4th core was unlocked though but scored 9500.

i would imagine the 6850 and 3.2Ghz 4 cores should do better than just 500 points more than mine

edit #2:
just realized green in my sig is outdated, will fix tommorow

Last edited:
I realize the OCZ PSU is good quality, but it just might not be enough for the hardware you have installed.

i'm about to pull the ram and test it in my main but i put together a new computer for a friend of mine, he bought it for his bro who is disabled and has not much else to do but WoW and the such but his old comp (P4 3.0Ghz) is kinda toasted it eats videocards. so this was bought with tax money and we tried to keep it cheap.

specs is:

Phenom II 840 (Stock at 3.2Ghz)
Asus M4A79T Deluxe <----yuck
HIS 6850 1 gig
1 TB Seagate 7200.12 SATA III
4 Gigs gSkill 1333 (pc310666) Cas 9 DDR3
Win 7 64Bit
OCZ modXstream 600W modular PSU

everything is stock and updated aswell

it was roughly $500, the mobo was already on hand but needed a bios update since it had a problems with some of the ram sockets and it was a known issues supposedly taken care of in a bios update.

so i ran 3dmark vantage because it was all that was available and it only scores barely 10k...and wow i hadnt watched the demos in a while, that begining one looks like crap. another thing is it'll just shut off or restart, which ever it feels like. it does it alot more in the CPU test of vantage than the 3D part which is why i am thinking ram but does any one else have any input?

i am gonna run memtest on the ram in the rig in green in my sig. the reason i ask before i run it is because i am hoping to get some input while the test is running. was hoping to get it done today but doesent look like it

Niku,

When you run Memtest, set your voltage and timings at default manually. If it passes Memtest it does not mean you are home free. I've passed Memtest many times only to have it fail in SuperPi 32mb OR Orthos / Prime 95 doing overclocks or just testing newly purchased RAMs.

The PSU may have taken a crap. I have gotten reports of OCZ PSUs acting up before. :(

Looks like you should have gotten a Corsair or Antec.

we thought we had it licked but its acting up in a big way again.

CCC kept crashing like crazy, i uninstalled lot of stuff cleaned up the registry and did some other tweaks and it was fine but now its back at square one. intermitent thats for sure, possibly a PSU problem but i dont really have another one to test with and i dont think a "tester" is going to tell me any thing other than "yep its reciving power"

edit:
retested the ram, before total completion of all tests hit 1% it had already given me thousands of errors

found the bad stick and pulled it out, going to deal with gskill's werid rma system next, i just dont know why it didnt give me any errors before

Last edited:
Back