• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buying help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrawlerZX

i need to upgrade my CPU and mobo and to DDR memory what can i get for 200 bucks? i saw a 2600+ w/ MSI mobo for 130 dollars. is this ne good? but i also need memory plz help

Are you planning on overclocking the system? If you arent then a MSI board and cheaper Branded memory like Crucial will do you fine as well as saving you some money. If you are planning on overclocking then it will cost you a little more on the motherboard, memory and cooler but you will save a stack on the CPU.

What 9mmCensor posted looks pretty good to me except I would be tempted to go for a Barton 2500+ instead as its only $20 more and most of them will easily do 200*11 on default volts, I believe that comes out as 3200+ , Bare in mind to do that you would need a good PSU to go with it so if you are really on the $200 budget go with a cheaper bundle.

-Chris

not planning to O/C the moard is a
MSI 745 Ultra (SiS 745)
what do u recommend for memory? i think it supports 333 but prolly won't need it so what should i get?

I recommend you to stay away from matsonic, as budget boards go I really hate them, if you don't intend to overclock the best bang for the buck would probably be, a 2500XP (check to see if the 2600XP they are offering is a barton core) MSI make some very good budget boards, I have yet to have one die on me, other good budget boards I have used were: shuttle, and ECS. As to the RAM there are alot of good brand out there, Crucial has always been very good to me when I couldn't afford corsair. My suggested config:

Abit NF7 79.99 on newegg
AMD 2500XP barton 90.00 on newegg
Crucial 512 PC2100 67.00 on newegg
=236.99

Save the extra 36.99 it will be WELL worth it.

Back