• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cablevision Offers Fastest Internet Connection in America: 101 Mbps down, 15 up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
http://www.optimum.com/online/ultra.jsp

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/19/really-fast-internet-first-impressions-of-optimum-online-ultra/

As of June 1st of this year I can finally purchase a nice 100 Mbs downstream in a residential area. Since I just found out about this in the morning today I plan on calling them tomorrow and ordering up!!

All guys please keep to the new xtreme systems news RULES and do not argue that europe and asia is far superior, I am going to just agree with you. Yes they are ok?? lol This is VERY positive news for us Americans because it started up a big WAR between Verizon and Cable, this means a throughput/price war between the two companies which means faster internet very soon. Verizon had stated publically in response to cablevisions press release that its Fios technically RIGHT now has the ability to stream 400 mbps down and 120 mbps up right to your house.

The familiar Cablevision van pulled up to Deleon HQ mid-morning on Tuesday. The technicians (there were two guys, one a supervisor and one who my brother described as “the muscle,” that is, the guy running around with the tool belt) then swapped out my old modem for a shiny, new one. It’s a Cisco DPC300, for the record. Yes, that’s it up there.

We ran into a bit of a snafu when the supervisor said, “Yeah, the wire you have going from your basement to your modem is too old for Internet service. How your old modem worked at all is beyond me.” So they had to replace the wire, which took quite a while. All told, installation, including the wire replacement, took just over two hours.

Now the fun!

Here’s the first speed test. It’s a Windows PC (with gigabit Ethernet) plugged into a D-Link DIR-825, our new router of choice:

speed.jpg

cisco.jpg

Dom

The only providers in my area are TWC (Roadrunner) and AT&T. Down with the duopolies and corporate-owned lines!

How much was it?

From their site, the 101Mbps package by itself (with no TV or phone) is $94.95 / month.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Comcast's 50mbps is $99, and that's a promotion. 100$ for 100mbps Seems like a good price per the competition. Hopefully it forces other companies to lower their price.

If I remember correctly, Comcast's 50mbps is $99, and that's a promotion. 100$ for 100mbps Seems like a good price per the competition. Hopefully it forces other companies to lower their price.

Correct, if you just get comcast's best broadband package without going into their triple play package, it's like 150$ a month.

Unfortunately comcast has me hooked on their 50mbps and I'm pretty much whoring myself out for it atm.

But on the other hand, if you're at a university at the US, 10mbps would be considered slow for the majority of them. Our knowledge centers have quite good bandwidth. Same with most large corporate buildings in the central business districts of all our major cities.

Last edited:
wow, that is just insane fast! if i could get all of my favorite cable tv channels as well as live streaming sports like i can on cable, i'd totally go for a package like that and ditch the typical cable tv. i imagine that it is only a matter of time before cable tv is replaced by streaming content from the internet. after all, there is already a huge push toward that sort of delivery platform anyway.

heck, i'd imagine that you'd run into bandwidth capacity problems from most servers with that sort of connection :D i'm certainly all for bigger and better competition when it comes to internet cost/speed. it can only lead to better things for the consumer.

Wow and I was excited about getting 10mb/1mb here in Idaho. Oh yeah if you use about 4gig they cut you in half each day.

OMG if verizon ups their FIOS tiers in responce to this that would be pimp... cus fios's infrastructure if FAR superior than cable networks.

that upload is **** tho.... id much rather have 50/50 than 100/15

OMG if verizon ups their FIOS tiers in responce to this that would be pimp... cus fios's infrastructure if FAR superior than cable networks.

that upload is **** tho.... id much rather have 50/50 than 100/15

I'd go for like 75/25. 50/50 would be sweet if I wanted run a game/web server though (I know faster would be better but i'm being realistic).

i can see this being usefull in the corporate world too :)

point to point vpn with 100/13 would be pretty good if you're just doing small file sharing and app serving.

i think we had 4-10 people on a 3mbit bridge and they did pretty good, now we're at a 100mbit MAN at that location

Guys. Here is the status update!
A little dissapointed with pricing.
But I paid a 300.00 non refundable activation fee and my install date is June 23rd. I just finished wiring up the house with Cat6 and bought a cisco/linksys router with Gigabit WAN port to make sure there is plenty of bandwidth on both the WAN and LAN ports. Just waiting for them to drop off the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and we are good as golden! I will keep everyone posted.

I currently pay 99.60 per month for the triple play (TV, Internet 30/5, Phone). I am going to add an additional 55.00 per month on top of my current pricing bringing me around 155.00 per montn for TV, Internet 100/15, and Phone. I AM PUMPED!!

DOm

But I paid a 300.00 non refundable activation fee and my install date is June 23rd. I just finished wiring up the house with Cat6 and bought a cisco/linksys router with Gigabit WAN port to make sure there is plenty of bandwidth on both the WAN and LAN ports. Just waiting for them to drop off the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and we are good as golden! I will keep everyone posted.

I currently pay 99.60 per month for the triple play (TV, Internet 30/5, Phone). I am going to add an additional 55.00 per month on top of my current pricing bringing me around 155.00 per montn for TV, Internet 100/15, and Phone. I AM PUMPED!!

DOm

OUCH thats some pricy net!

DOm

You have to make a thread on how you're going to actively use that much bandwidth effectively without using illegal torrent sharing =D

I think it would be very interesting. If you could setup like 5 VM's and run multiple server configurations from one i7 rig or something :), then host an FTP site, then still have 50% bandwidth to spare =D

Ohhh, also let us know which sites will let you download at your maximum speed. I assume you can get like 6MB/s on the down from some places, crazy.

50Mbps from Comcast ???

I think the best available in South Jersey is 16/1 :(

They have a full fiber network in my area :)

But NO ONE could get highspeed in this area until 2001, which was pretty bad. I had to live with 56k for a very long time, not even DSL was available.

Back