• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calculating water reservoir heat-load (warning, math)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why on Earth anybody puts barbs on a heater core is beyond me. It's not that I don't have the tools or can't do it, I've plumbed whole kitchens, but it's just not necessary. So far I've used a total of four heater cores and have as yet to add a barb to one. 1/2" tubing goes right over the end of 1/2" copper pipe - in fact I use a short piece of 1/2" copper pipe as a joiner for my tubing runs outside/inside the case. It's no harder to put 1/2" tubing over 1/2" copper pipe than it is to put it on an MCP-655 pump and, trust me, with a single screw clamp the tubing is NOT coming off the pipe. I doubt it would come off without the clamp but I'd rather be safe than sorry. :)

I should note you do need to cut off part of the pipe that comes with it but a $4 hacksaw can do that in ~5 minutes - if you take your time ...

I thought the '77 heater cores came with weird size pipes, not 1/2"..

Anyways, I've got a pipe cutter (the kind you spin around the pipe)... I ended up buying it when I was trying to run water to my fridge... My hacksaw kept messing the pipe up because I didn't take my time.. :)

There is an odd size on one pipe (5/8") that needs to be cut back to where it's 1/2" but it's not the whole pipe. I always cut them both off because I don't want the 45° angle, though for some it doesn't matter. If you want it to look "purty" you can cut them off the same length. I like them staggered so the clamps don't interfere with each other regardless of how I orient them ... :)

Attachments

• HC_Before.JPG
    HC_Before.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 163
  • HC_After.JPG
    HC_After.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
There is an odd size on one pipe (5/8") that needs to be cut back to where it's 1/2" but it's not the whole pipe. I always cut them both off because I don't want the 45° angle, though for some it doesn't matter. If you want it to look "purty" you can cut them off the same length. I like them staggered so the clamps don't interfere with each other regardless of how I orient them ... :)

Ahh, I didn't realize it was a flare that bumped up the diameter of the pipe; I thought they came out of the core at the stated sizes. Ya learn something new every day. :)

Back