• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Call Of Duty 2 on Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterNater

Hey guys, I recently decided to reinstall COD2 after years of not playing it. I thought it would be fun to use new hardware to max the game out and play through the single player again. I'm on windows 7 64-bit, rig in my sig, and no matter what settings I use in graphics or sound, the game will randomly crash while I'm playing. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes, sometimes 10...there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it. No error message after the crash other than "Call Of Duty 2 has stopped responding, you can search the internet for solutions...."

I've google searched for possible solutions, but couldn't find any. Anybody out there successfully play this on Windows 7?

Well, I just tried some things tonight.

I decided to run it without "run as administrator" or compatibility mode and to my surprise, it worked. I just played with neither option selected, and I was able to play for about 15 minutes without it crashing to desktop.

One strange problem is still occurring. Even after I successfully quit out of the game, when I restart it, it says that the game did not properly quit the last time. It asks me if I want to start the game in safe mode, which basically resets all the graphics and sound to default settings. I just click "No", so it doesn't start in safe mode.

When I first installed the game, patched it, and tried to run it, it wouldn't even load the game unless I ran it as admin. Then, I was trying compatibility modes to get it to stop crashing. Now it seems to run just fine without either one. I guess I'll report back if anything changes.

Played over an hour without any problems. Then, crash to desktop. I guess I'll just deal with the random crashes. No setting seems to make a difference. :rain:

Ever tried a re-install WITHOUT the patch? Sometimes patches stuff around with Win 7.. my Crysis runs great if I only have up to a certain patch installed. If I install the absolute latest patch, it errors and crashes all the time.. *shrug*

Ever tried a re-install WITHOUT the patch? Sometimes patches stuff around with Win 7.. my Crysis runs great if I only have up to a certain patch installed. If I install the absolute latest patch, it errors and crashes all the time.. *shrug*

Thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't thought about that. Usually it's the other way around...newest patches fix known issue. Being an older game though, I can see how patches might mess with Windows 7.

The problem with it crashing is a video setting I cant remember exactly which one but I had the same problem and what I did was turned all the settings for the game to low and then I would increase them one by one until I found which one was causing the trouble

The problem with it crashing is a video setting I cant remember exactly which one but I had the same problem and what I did was turned all the settings for the game to low and then I would increase them one by one until I found which one was causing the trouble

Hmmm. I'll give that a shot. I tried resetting the graphics settings to defaults and just increased the resolution to what I game at (1920x1200). Even then, it crashed. I hope it's not the resolution because that would be lame. However, default settings don't change everything to the minimum. I'll have to go in and do it manually.

Well, I got fed up with adjusting video and audio settings. So, I uninstalled, reinstalled, and did not patch this time. Played the game for about an hour without any hiccups....until....the game froze, audio began to loop, and then I got the dreaded BSOD stating an unrecoverable hardware failure. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw the BSOD. No other game does this. I think I'm going to just give up on COD2. I might try some compatibility modes with it unpatched....meh :rain:

Well, I got fed up with adjusting video and audio settings. So, I uninstalled, reinstalled, and did not patch this time. Played the game for about an hour without any hiccups....until....the game froze, audio began to loop, and then I got the dreaded BSOD stating an unrecoverable hardware failure. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw the BSOD. No other game does this. I think I'm going to just give up on COD2. I might try some compatibility modes with it unpatched....meh :rain:

=(

You're lucky you got to play it for some time at least. I can't get mine installed no matter what.

Upon inserting the disk it keeps showing up "this game has known issues with windows 7" and won't even pass that point :mad:

You're lucky you got to play it for some time at least. I can't get mine installed no matter what.

Upon inserting the disk it keeps showing up "this game has known issues with windows 7" and won't even pass that point :mad:

Yeah, mine did that as well. The very first time I installed it on this machine w/ Windows 7, I had to go through a lot of trial and error. I think what ended up working was opening the drive with explorer, navigating to autorun.exe, and running it as administrator and compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2. Letting the disc autorun never worked, I had to manually open autorun.exe with the above settings.

Ahh. Maybe I'll give it another shot and see. Tho I know this doesn't solve your problem. Maybe I can see if I get the same problem as you and work towards a solution and report back.

Well, I played the game again tonight, and I think I may have got it. Game is unpatched, running in compatibility mode for Windows 95, and NOT running as admin. I played for about two hours and it didn't crash. One thing I did notice though, whenever I start the game under a different compatibility mode, I have to start all over from the beginning of the game. It's almost like it saves game data for each mode. So, unless this was just luck...it's fixed.

Installed my copy under Administrator. Installed perfectly and I played it for about an hour an a half. No issues at all. Not patched either. Running with all the eye candy maxed out @ 1680x1050 :D

Installed my copy under Administrator. Installed perfectly and I played it for about an hour an a half. No issues at all. Not patched either. Running with all the eye candy maxed out @ 1680x1050 :D

You lucky son of a gun. I guess my PC is just physically challenged.

hey guy's i am downloading COD 2 just to refresh the memories ..
on my laptop windows 7 / 32 Bit OS .. tell me after downloading is going to make any problem in runing the game ?? help me guys save me from wasting my time in downloading

Back