• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you enable >136gig Drives in XP w/o SP1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bassmankr

Registered
Got a box that is running XP Pro original and found out the hard way that it does not support hard drives larger than 136 gig when I added two 160's in a Raid 0. I know that Service Pack 1a fixes this but I don't want to install that for a few reasons, 1. it takes out Java which some of my apps need 2. it adds more bloat and many have complained it gums up their boxes 3. this box is not connected to the net, it is a standalone box that does some heavy work (Pro Music), so I don't worry about security fixes, in fact alot has been stripped out with XP Lite. Is there a work around to enable large hard disk support without going the service pack route and possibly mucking up a workhorse? I searched the Microsoft site for a critical update that would do just that and came up blank. Any ideas???

Thanks for the reply but I've already seen that page and it says I need SP1 to enable LBA support. I see that I can turn on LBA for testing purposes with a registry entry but I run the risk of disk corruption in doing so and I still can't use anything more than 136 gig on the raid drive. As for the OEM proceedure on that page its unclear but looks like its just for testing also and will have the same limitations, besides I'm running a retail copy if that matters. It looks like I can grab the new atapi file and change the LBA registry entry, and even make that .inf file they have listed in the OEM section of the page but will that fully enable LBA support without me having to install SP1 is my question now? The lengths we have to go through to have a lean clean fast machine lol.

If you have a retail copy of WinXP then I would suggest you just slipstream SP1a into like I did.

I did this so I wouldn't have problems when installing my 200GB HD and everything went smooth.

Here is where I went to slipstream:

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp1-bootcd.html

Note: If you use Nero like I did, before burning the files remove the Microsoft Corporation.img file because for me it didn't want to work with it.

Back