• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot do more than 2GB RAM on a laptop that supports 4GB - ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
*EDIT* Figured out my mistake. I was looking up model 9410 at crucial.com which showed 4gb max, but my model is 9410Z. One would think that 9410Z would be "better" than 9410 right? Anyway, when I looked up 9410, crucial.com says 2gb max. DAMN!!!

Dad's laptop
Acer Aspire 9410Z
9410-2028 is also written on the laptop (assuming that's a more precise model #)

The laptop came with 2x512 sticks. I swapped them immediately for 2x1GB Crucial DDR2-667 sticks when it shipped back in ~June 2007.

Yesterday I said why not swap one of the 1gb Crucial sticks for a 2GB Crucial DDR2-667 to give him 3GB total system memory.

For the life of me I cannot get the system to post with a 2GB stick of RAM unless it's by itself.

Combos that work:
2x1GB Crucial DDR2-667

Combos that do NOT work (why why why!!!):
2GB + 1GB Crucial DDR2-667 (in both configurations)
2x2GB Crucial DDR2-667

So 3GB and 4GB doesn't work, but each 2GB stick works if it's ALONE.

I decided to do a BIOS update. The BIOS was dated 2006 I think sometime in the summer months (I forgot, sorry). I know it was v1.18 from CPU-Z.

The new BIOS (also checked with CPU-Z) is v1.24 dated 11-15-07.

I downloaded the BIOS from Aspire's website which just ran a batch file from windows and automatically shut down the laptop.

What should I do?? Thanks.

Last edited:
i know some motherboards that *support* 16GB ram will only do so at a lower ram speed...

Simply sounds like a ritriction of the chipset in the laptop. infact iv'e just googled it and the max RAM the laptop supports is 2GB. Sorry but 2GB is your limit. Lucky you! My Dell C640 supports a max of 1GB!!!

Sorry man you're screwed because of the notebooks chipset 2GB is the limit

I saw many places that showed that 4gb was the max... at least I thought so. =/

That truly sucks that they put Vista on this laptop when 2gb was the max. DAMN!!!

*edit*
I figured out why I was confused. I was looking up model 9410 instead of 9410Z... stupid me... I guess the "Z" makes the laptop worse :(

Last edited:
Back