• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cannot find frequency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reboot231

Hello all, I have been having a bit of trouble with my display. I recently got a new video card. well not new, but new to me. At first it was working fine, no problems, but as i clicked to play left 4 dead, my screen went black and i got an error message that said could not find frequency and had two sets of numbers, 80.5/85.0. try another resolution. Now this was not an error message from windows but from my monitor itself, and the game started as i could hear it and could hear my mouse moving over the menu items. Well i had closed it out, (also installed all updated drivers) and set my screen to a higher resolution. It seemed to work, as i was able to see the game, and the graphics had most definitely improved, so i knew the video card was indeed working. Well as i got on the next day, i started up a game again and it went black and gave me that error message again on my monitor. So i exited the game and tried what i had done the night before, only this time it went black outside of the game and the error message was on screen. so i hit escape to negate it back to its original and it went back, but did the error screen saying that the frequency was now not found, and two new sets of numbers. Tried several different ways to no avail and am hoping someone here could tell me if its my monitor being to old. (its a rather old and not lcd or anything) or perhaps its something im just overlooking. i am not hugely great with computers, but i know basics i suppose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. oh, and the video card i received was an 8800 gts, i have windows 7 64 bit. Thank you for your time :chair:

Unsure, probably some sort of issue about native resolution but it's simply a guess. If it worked before by being connected to the motherboard using onboard graphics I would normally say it's the graphics card. Perhaps a check of the Nvidia software may help.

All I can really think of is a unsupported refresh rate:shrug:, do you know the max refresh rate for your monitor(in HZ)?

He has a CRT, probably a google search on the model info on the back will reveal some details. Hope you can catch up and get an LCD some day.

hey all, thanks a bunch for all the great info, i had an older model monitor...the thing is freaking huge, 50 pounds at least, my desk creaked when i put it on there lol. but it worked fine once i got it all hooked up. so i guess i am going to invest in something better. thanks for your time everyone, just glad to know it was not the video card :soda:

Back