• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't boot Ubuntu!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hack30

Past weeks have given me speratic log outs/reboots on my Asus P5LD2, PD920, 2gig ddr2 533 mem, generic pci vid card, 80 gig hd,500 wat psu, running Ubuntu 64 bit. At fisrt I though it was the very mild o/c from 2.8 to 3.0 but after the last bought of throuble I lowered all settings to stock. Now she won't boot into Ubuntu. She posts, detects hardware, grub loads, kernel tries to boot and I get some kind of sync error/not corrected cpu0 and she reboots. Every once in a few tries she gets to Ubuntu load screen but quickly fails and reboots.

I've tried to boot from live cd with the same result.
I've tried reseating the cpu,mem,vid card, all connections(including power).
Bios sees all hardware ok and shows both cores of the CPU.
temps at idle in bios are 24cels./cpu 18cels./mobo

Any advice on what could be causing this to happen would be most appreciated!

BTW I AM A LINUX NOOB!

I can do a few thing but speak slow and use small words please.:p

Thank In Advance

Has to be 64bit for smp folding. but haven't tried just to boot will check it now.

Edit: 32bit boots no problem. I'm thinking the cpu is fubar for 64bit. tried 6.10 /6.06 /server 64bit and none boot.

Last edited:
I just loaded 6.10 64 bit last night looked good except for audio and network both dead. Then attempted to run Folding smp drove me into a :bang head until someone pointed out that I needed the 32bit libs. The error was "command or file not found" :shrug: That fixed I set it a folding noon on Friday and will see what it does this weekend. (AMD layer).

AlabamaCajun said:
I just loaded 6.10 64 bit last night looked good except for audio and network both dead. Then attempted to run Folding smp drove me into a :bang head until someone pointed out that I needed the 32bit libs. The error was "command or file not found" :shrug: That fixed I set it a folding noon on Friday and will see what it does this weekend. (AMD layer).

This rig has been folding for quit a while 3-4 months.:shrug:

Edit: Of course the pd920 won't boot in my p5ld2 and the e4300 won't boot in my p5b.:bang head

Back