• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get by 3.0ghz. Is it the mobo, ram, or proc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonas007

Here's my specs:

2.4c ghz @ 3.0ghz, 250fsb, 1.52v, 5:4 divider
Abit IS7-E
512 Corsair XMS 3200, a,n,a,d,d, 2.8v, 2-3-2-6

So here's the different things I've tried. With my vdimm at 2.8 I can oc my ram to 220mhz with the divider at 1:1, which is good for 3200ram. 3:2 divider doesn't even work, no matter what I have my GAT settings or timings at. With 5:4 divider I can set the fsb to 249 and get away with setting my ram with SPD to auto and GAT set to Street Racer,a,a,a,a. When going to 250 I have to set my ram to a,n,a,d,d. Otherwise it won't boot. Anything over 250 and the PC won't boot and all I get is this slow interval beep. I've tried uping the voltage to the proc, switching nb straps, uping voltage to the AGP, loosening timings, everything. Is my inability to get by 250fsb due to my ram, mobo, or proc?

nah, i doubt its a bad CPU. sounds like a memory issue to me. how high have you tried bringing the core voltage up? i would reccommend something like 1.65v to start at, then work your way back down. this way, it eliminates core voltage from the equation. another thing you can try doing is using only one stick of memory. test each stick one at a time. most likely, if you have run GAT enabled at 249, and it will not POST at 250, it sounds like a strap problem and your memory.

some memories have problems with dividers. like you said, 3:2 doesnt even work. sounds like a memory issue to me. you might try finding someone else locally that can test them on a similar motherboard.

also, run memtest on the modules when running 5:4 250. just try it. play around with the fsb using memtest, and see if it is indeed memory crapping out on you.

good luck...

Here's what I've tried:

2.4c @ 2.9mhz (249fsb), 1.55vcore
Ram at 198mhz
GAT: Street Racer, A,A,A,A. SPD: Auto
Prime95: Fails after 2 minutes

I change GAT to Turbo,A,A,A,A. SPD: Auto
Prime95: Fails after a couple minutes

GAT changed to A,A,A,A,A. SPD: Auto
Prime95: Fails after a couple minutes

At this point, since I'll have to change to A,N,A,D,D, I just bump the fsb to 250 to make it 3.0ghz. Prime95: Stable for several hours. I would think if it was the cpu, it would have started to choke up long before 3.0ghz and requiring more voltage. Since it was my RAM setting I had to change to get this far, I have a feeling its my RAM.

I have the memtest ISO. How do I burn this correctly with Nero to use it as a boot CD?

You didn't _exactly_ use the settings on that page ;)

Make sure you've set the N/B Strap to 800 and set the memory timings manually.
I've gotten really strange problems using the SPD and Auto setting.

Also, have you tried single channel?

I did try those settings but it didn't work. Also, I did memtest with these settings:

2.4C @3.0ghz, nbstrap @ 800, 5:4 divider, 250mhz fsb
Ram at 200mhz, timings set to SPD, GAT: A,N,A,D,D

It ran all night with no errors, but then when I hit escape to exit, it wouldn't boot and made that slow beep. I cleared CMOS, set the bios back to the above settings, and then it booted. Is that normal?

Sounds really strange, how's your powersupply?

Also, it might sound wierd, but set the mem timings manually. Even to the same values. I had a really strange problem with that one time. Couldn't install XP... BSOD... Changed from SPD to manual, but entered the same values. No problem any more...
I could have been a BIOS issue for sure, but it could be worth a try.

Well, my corsair xms 256x2 pc3200 dont run dividers, full stop! :-o) So i'm limited @ about pc3700 overclocked, 2-5-3-2 @ 3.0v

Probably RAM

~t0m

Make SURE you set GAT to A,A,A,D,D the first A is optional (SR may be a little fast with already O/C ram), but you have to have the last two disabled in my experience.

Back