• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't move or copy ANY files -- Vista 64-bit Home Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
+1 for that Knoppix live CD. We use it at work. Easy to do a DD dump of a drive to preserve data before upgrades and when examining hardware issues.

I got rid of Vista after an update killed my machine. Got so messed up that I couldn't even open Firefox or a simple text document without random crashes. Got mad and installed Mint. Same hardware...zero issues.

XP is still a good way to go as well.

There are some repair options, but not a repair install like XP. The XP repair install reinstalls all the core files. The closest thing to that with Vista, apparently, is "upgrading" to Vista from Vista, which is pretty clunky.

Wow...that's interesting. Since the latest O/S I run is XP and have about let's see,....ZERO experience with Vista or Win 7, I would have thought the repair feature would have been like XP? Makes you wonder why Microsoft would remove a valuable option like that?

Thanks for letting me know about this.

Back