• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Castup dont work for cleaning copper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justin

Registered
I used catsup. I took an old toothbrush to my Glaciator(it had all these oily fingerprints all over it).Rubbed it around a bit. Didnt work at all. My freinds sure made fun of me when they came into my room to see me cleaning my copper hsf with catsup. I hate my freinds......

Catsup cleans brass. Try some pool acid. I guarantee that it doesn't eat copper, but its 6m Hydrochloric acid so it will eat a lot of other things including your lungs if not ventelated.

LOL!

It isn't toothpaste :) The catsup (ketchup) works because of its slightly acidic (the vinegar in catsup) properties. You could use any mild acid to remove tarnish. Try adding a little more vinegar to your catsup next time. ;) You need to allow it to contact the copper for at least a few minutes.

Justin (Jul 20, 2001 04:28 a.m.):
I used catsup. I took an old toothbrush to my Glaciator(it had all these oily fingerprints all over it).Rubbed it around a bit. Didnt work at all. My freinds sure made fun of me when they came into my room to see me cleaning my copper hsf with catsup. I hate my freinds......

yes, you need something more acidic, try coke(the drink!), its very acidic and just give it a rinse with distilled water

It works. Don't scrub. Apply it and let it sit for a bit. Then when you rinse it away - pow, clean copper

To always clean my pennies (i know, thats gay), i use Taco Bell hot sauce - like the very hot stuff. it may not work for what you want... but the stuff sure cleans for me :)

William (Jul 20, 2001 04:32 a.m.):
Catsup cleans brass. Try some pool acid. I guarantee that it doesn't eat copper, but its 6m Hydrochloric acid so it will eat a lot of other things including your lungs if not ventelated.

Ah, memories of sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide vapors.... I'm going to miss my chem class.

sfa ok (Jul 20, 2001 04:14 p.m.):

Ah, memories of sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide vapors.... I'm going to miss my chem class.

Hehehe...I know I miss mine. I was in A.P. Chem two years ago and that was the best class I ever took...for acid you want a very weak one...try...a one molar or less sulferic acid...and remember do as you otta and acid to wata.

Sir-Epix (Jul 22, 2001 11:39 p.m.):
sfa ok (Jul 20, 2001 04:14 p.m.):

no, Sulfuric acid is expensive and hard to find. HCl is easy to get and doesn't react with copper(I don't thing Sulfuric does either). Its beautiful.

Hehehe...I know I miss mine. I was in A.P. Chem two years ago and that was the best class I ever took...for acid you want a very weak one...try...a one molar or less sulferic acid...and remember do as you otta and acid to wata.

coke will work to i think

also a eraser on a pencil will work .

Back